• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter trays and toileting

C9FAL

Young Bun
What kind of litter trays do you all use? Preferably with a high back and that is hard for them to move around as they like to re-rig things around and drag their litter trays around lol. We have 2 bunnies that keep missing the side of the tray and they keep piddling on the floor instead.

Also one of said bunnies keeps piddling on the floor! She does use her tray but I sometimes find puddles on the floor. We are moving house soon and don't want it happening on brand new flooring. They do have hay over their litter trays. Any ideas why or any tips to help stop it?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have used under bed storage boxes before, which are great for multiple bunnies and quite high sided. Now I only have one house bunny I use smaller trays, I have some that are supposed to be recycling boxes, they are high sided with a scoop out the front, perfect for a bunny entry.

Is the bunny thats leaving puddles spayed? If it’s a new thing it could be health related, like some kind of uti. It could be territorial marking, if you can soak up the puddles with a bit of kitchen towel and put that in the litter tray, and clean the area to neutralise the smell with vinegar/water mix, that might help if you keep doing it. More trays or bigger trays to fit in more bunnies may help, sometimes the only solution is to put a litter tray where they insist on doing it.

Flooring that is wipe clean is easier than training on carpet/rugs.

The underbed storage boxes make big litter trays, paper on the bottom and hay on top. When you move into your new home the rabbits might want to do more toilet on the floor until they get settled, so be ready for this.

I have used under bed storage boxes before, which are great for multiple bunnies and quite high sided. Now I only have one house bunny I use smaller trays, I have some that are supposed to be recycling boxes, they are high sided with a scoop out the front, perfect for a bunny entry.

Is the bunny thats leaving puddles spayed? If it’s a new thing it could be health related, like some kind of uti. It could be territorial marking, if you can soak up the puddles with a bit of kitchen towel and put that in the litter tray, and clean the area to neutralise the smell with vinegar/water mix, that might help if you keep doing it. More trays or bigger trays to fit in more bunnies may help, sometimes the only solution is to put a litter tray where they insist on doing it.

Flooring that is wipe clean is easier than training on carpet/rugs.
I've never though about storage boxes before! She isn't spayed yet, but she will be soon. She has always done it to be honest. There is 2 litter trays in their pen for them. If she isn't using them she's piddling anywhere else in the middle of the own then she and her bonded bunny end up trailing the wetness about everywhere. I will definitely try try putting whatever I've cleaned it up with in the litter tray.

Thank you.

The underbed storage boxes make big litter trays, paper on the bottom and hay on top. When you move into your new home the rabbits might want to do more toilet on the floor until they get settled, so be ready for this.
We use to put paper down under their litter but they always find it and rip it out and rip it to shreds [emoji85]

Yeah I thought they might do that.

Thank you.

I've never though about storage boxes before! She isn't spayed yet, but she will be soon. She has always done it to be honest. There is 2 litter trays in their pen for them. If she isn't using them she's piddling anywhere else in the middle of the own then she and her bonded bunny end up trailing the wetness about everywhere. I will definitely try try putting whatever I've cleaned it up with in the litter tray.

Thank you.

Once she is spayed I would expect that litter habits would improve, especially once her hormones have subsided.

Like others on here I use 32 litre underbed storage boxes with newspaper and hay.

My new house rabbits had a couple of poo fests when they first moved in but all is mainly in the trays now!

ak8ps1.jpg

vews3d.jpg

Once she is spayed I would expect that litter habits would improve, especially once her hormones have subsided.
Thank you! One of our younger bunnies has started marking her territory really badly so I will be calling the vets today to make appointments.

Like others on here I use 32 litre underbed storage boxes with newspaper and hay.

My new house rabbits had a couple of poo fests when they first moved in but all is mainly in the trays now!

ak8ps1.jpg

vews3d.jpg
Aww amazing! I may try the storage boxes.

I used two under bed storage containers for my Bunnies, I managed to section part of it of for there food and the rest was for there toilet, Ive just had to change it to potting trays for both of them because Honey has problems with her legs so its easier for her, only thing is my other rabbit scuffs it all out with her hind legs. x

I use under bed storage boxes too, it works quite well for us. Still get poops outside the litter tray but not many and the sides seem to contain most of the litter so it’s not all over the floor.

I think I will definitely try storage boxes. It seems to be the popular option from everyone [emoji4] Thanks all.

We use to put paper down under their litter but they always find it and rip it out and rip it to shreds [emoji85]

Yeah I thought they might do that.

Thank you.

Mine don't tear the paper up in the litter tray, but if I put it down on the floor they might.

Back