• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fitch out of stock(ish) and up in price! Any alternatives?

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
Went to order some fitch tonight as we're running pretty low (I've already left it a bit later than I should considering the weekend) and have just found out that not only are they out of 20kg bales but the price is now £27.99, which is up by £6. The way we go through it with our eight that's a pretty significant extra cost :( I'm not sure yet what to do longterm, though to be honest that is quite an increase, but I definitely need an alternative for the next week or two as a 10kg bale wouldn't last us long and works out to be nearly the same (old) price of the 20kg for half the product.

I've used megazorb before but it was a little dusty for my liking (it made Lunar sneeze, she has a sensitive nose). I've heard some people use Aubiose but I wasn't sure about the safety of hemp bedding? I tend to view anything that goes near rabbits as potential rabbit 'food' so safety as a 'food item' should one of them decide it's particularly appealing is as important as anything else :roll:
Any suggestions? If it's going to be a longterm solution it also needs to be compostable as the waste collection service where we're moving to is.... Questionable to say the least. Each household gets two relatively small bags for general rubbish every two weeks and one bag for recycling per week.
Yeah. So that's going to be fun. I've never composted before so that too will be an interesting challenge.

Have you tried wood pellet cat litter? It’s cheap, not dusty and extremely absorbent. I use it for my bunny, and also for my goats too. I’ve not known any bun try to eat it.

Went to order some fitch tonight as we're running pretty low (I've already left it a bit later than I should considering the weekend) and have just found out that not only are they out of 20kg bales but the price is now £27.99, which is up by £6. The way we go through it with our eight that's a pretty significant extra cost :( I'm not sure yet what to do longterm, though to be honest that is quite an increase, but I definitely need an alternative for the next week or two as a 10kg bale wouldn't last us long and works out to be nearly the same (old) price of the 20kg for half the product.

I've used megazorb before but it was a little dusty for my liking (it made Lunar sneeze, she has a sensitive nose). I've heard some people use Aubiose but I wasn't sure about the safety of hemp bedding? I tend to view anything that goes near rabbits as potential rabbit 'food' so safety as a 'food item' should one of them decide it's particularly appealing is as important as anything else :roll:
Any suggestions? If it's going to be a longterm solution it also needs to be compostable as the waste collection service where we're moving to is.... Questionable to say the least. Each household gets two relatively small bags for general rubbish every two weeks and one bag for recycling per week.
Yeah. So that's going to be fun. I've never composted before so that too will be an interesting challenge.

No suggestions really depends what you use it for, is it bedding or litter?

I just had to order a 10kg bag which was as expensive as the 20kg normally is - it arrived the other day and is tiny, doesn't even seem like half the 20kg [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I've used both Auboise and Burlybed Miscanthus without a problem. They're about £8-£12 for a bale depending on which you get.

My dad also composts whatever I clean out from the rabbits and he hasn't said anything about an issue with either of those.

Have you tried wood pellet cat litter? It’s cheap, not dusty and extremely absorbent. I use it for my bunny, and also for my goats too. I’ve not known any bun try to eat it.
No, I know that some are safe but I was always worried about getting the wrong one! How do you know which one is safe for rabbits? It's supposed to be non-clumping, right?
I saw P@H selling a large bag pretty cheap but it said it was made from kiln dried sawdust. I think it's their own brand?

Edit: I think it was this one, though I think it was a bigger bag: http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wc...-home-wood-pellet-non-clumping-cat-litter-30l
It also says it has a pine scent. Would that be the same as using actual sawdust and irritate them?

No suggestions really depends what you use it for, is it bedding or litter?

I just had to order a 10kg bag which was as expensive as the 20kg normally is - it arrived the other day and is tiny, doesn't even seem like half the 20kg [emoji38]

Oh sorry! I was tired.. Should have said :oops:
I've used it as bedding in the past but now only need it as a litter for their many trays :D

I've used both Auboise and Burlybed Miscanthus without a problem. They're about £8-£12 for a bale depending on which you get.

My dad also composts whatever I clean out from the rabbits and he hasn't said anything about an issue with either of those.

Yeah, I've seen a few people using Aubiose now so I guess it must be safe.. I'm just so paranoid!! I think it works out cheaper than Fitch (old price).
Do you find it to be dusty? Snowflake has allergies to a lot of things (though I don't think I've ever noticed problems with litter, usually soap etc) and Lunar has a very sensitive nose; anything dust makes her sneeze

Last edited:
the P@H one is the one I use and many other bunny parents do. never had an issue with them eating it and I don't find it to be dusty. I switched due to my allergies reacting to the dust of most others.

the P@H one is the one I use and many other bunny parents do. never had an issue with them eating it and I don't find it to be dusty. I switched due to my allergies reacting to the dust of most others.
Oh, that's good to know - thanks! I thought it would probably be unsafe. I'm paranoid like that :oops:

Do they do a bigger bag than that? P@H's website it terrible, nothing will ever load (took me 10 mins to get the page for the 30l bag!) It's easier for me to understand when it's based on weight but it's always litres :roll: I haven't got a clue how to work that out lol. I think megazorb was 85 litres iirc?

the 30l is the largest they do, I'm not sure how much is it in KG other than heavy :lol: while it is a bit more expensive (I suppose?) than the others, I prefer it as it absorbs the smell really well, and I can store the bag in my room, and a few others in the garage. occasionally they do offers, I got two bags for £8 or so a few months back. I mostly wouldn't switch from it as I know I won't react to it (I itch up real bad with some products!!), and the buns are very happy with the litter. it doesn't actually smell of anything, so I wouldn't have thought it was scented!

No, I know that some are safe but I was always worried about getting the wrong one! How do you know which one is safe for rabbits? It's supposed to be non-clumping, right?
I saw P@H selling a large bag pretty cheap but it said it was made from kiln dried sawdust. I think it's their own brand?

Edit: I think it was this one, though I think it was a bigger bag: http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wc...-home-wood-pellet-non-clumping-cat-litter-30l
It also says it has a pine scent. Would that be the same as using actual sawdust and irritate them?

Oh sorry! I was tired.. Should have said :oops:
I've used it as bedding in the past but now only need it as a litter for their many trays :D

Yeah, I've seen a few people using Aubiose now so I guess it must be safe.. I'm just so paranoid!! I think it works out cheaper than Fitch (old price).
Do you find it to be dusty? Snowflake has allergies to a lot of things (though I don't think I've ever noticed problems with litter, usually soap etc) and Lunar has a very sensitive nose; anything dust makes her sneeze

No problems with dust except a little bit when getting it out of the bag. If I understand correctly it's possible to damp it down a bit once it's in the litter tray to prevent it moving.

I get mine from an animal feeds supplier in 20kg bags which fit in a wheelie bin.

20kg bags still out of stock :( and I’m close to running out and can’t see 10kg lasting me very long so don’t really want to buy that size. May have to start looking for alternatives myself. What did you go for in the end If you don’t mind me asking? :)

20kg bags still out of stock :( and I’m close to running out and can’t see 10kg lasting me very long so don’t really want to buy that size. May have to start looking for alternatives myself. What did you go for in the end If you don’t mind me asking? :)
Is it just for litter trays or bedding?

Megazorb is similar found on amazon, I don't like the smell of it tho... For litter we now use pellets which are better than fitch tbh

I've just bought a bag of megazorb from amazon since I can't get Fitch, I thought it did smell at first but within a couple of days I'm used to it. My partner never thought it smelt, it also lasts longer between clean outs for my piggies and rats I'm finding.

I've just bought a bag of megazorb from amazon since I can't get Fitch, I thought it did smell at first but within a couple of days I'm used to it. My partner never thought it smelt, it also lasts longer between clean outs for my piggies and rats I'm finding.
Yea I thought it was great stuff just couldn't deal with the smell, I am very weird with smells tho! My boyfriend didn't notice it.. Altho he doesn't think rats have an odour either.. [emoji38]

I've found some of the cardboard bedding I'd forgotten I had. Need to use that and just use the Fitch in the bed area to try to stretch what I have left, by the sounds of things!

Just spent £20 on what seems like a tiny bag of carefresh from pets at home in comparison to the Fitch :shock: but was desperate for some. Only use it for litter trays but I’ve got a 3 footed bun and don’t like the thought of putting her on wood pellets. Might check out the megazorb but like yourself I’ve got a very fine tuned nose and I can smell the bag of hay from timothyhay.com upstairs :?

I’ve emailed the company that sell Fitch asking when the 20kg bales will be back in stock so will keep everyone updated when I get a reply :)

I've just ordered megazorb as fitch will be too expensive. Will see how it goes. If I don't get on with it I'll probably sell the bags.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Just spent £20 on what seems like a tiny bag of carefresh from pets at home in comparison to the Fitch :shock: but was desperate for some. Only use it for litter trays but I’ve got a 3 footed bun and don’t like the thought of putting her on wood pellets. Might check out the megazorb but like yourself I’ve got a very fine tuned nose and I can smell the bag of hay from timothyhay.com upstairs :?

I’ve emailed the company that sell Fitch asking when the 20kg bales will be back in stock so will keep everyone updated when I get a reply :)

I'd be interested to know too, if you get a reply. I'm currently deciding what to do as the 10kg bag I had to get instead is nearly gone x

I use megazorb but I buy it at the equestrian / farm animal supply shop locally - where is less than £7. I don't like the smell but don't notice it once topped with hay

I panic-bought some megazorb and it's a lot worse than I remember it being.. I'm not sticking with it. I'm going to give Aubiose a try next and see how that goes.
I remember a lot of people complaining about the smell when I first bought megazorb a few years back but I never had a problem with it. However this bag smells awful, almost mouldy. It's also quite dusty though strangely hasn't given Lunar any problems with sneezing this time around. However it's quite messy (especially for Lunar as she will not keep litter in her tray anymore :( ) and it's getting stuck in Snowflake and Honey's 'skirts' and annoying them.
Is it just for litter trays or bedding?
Just litter trays.. Well, at least that's where I put it. It often ends up on the floor anyway :roll:

Last edited:
Back