Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spay bunny

Quote Originally Posted by Crinklewhiskers View Post
    Her appetite is definitely up and I've just spied her in the tray eating some hay now so hopefully that will help. She isn't refusing food or pushing it away now either which is reassuring. It's just making sure she gets some before buster barrels in and and guzzles it all now!

What a long night though, slept on the sofa so I could get up through the night to give her greens and try and coax her to eat...every time they moved I was awake though...todays gonna be a long day!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Caffeine??
    Reliable and up to date info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...RHD2-July-2018

Help! so Lolas appetite seems to be back but Buster is now refusing to let her out of the little house in the upper area of their pen. Any time he hears her move he goes up and chases her in. I just gave her her meds and put her back in with him and he went crazy trying to chase her back up, lunging at her and I really had to push him away from her. What do I do!!?

Wise Old Thumper

Help! so Lolas appetite seems to be back but Buster is now refusing to let her out of the little house in the upper area of their pen. Any time he hears her move he goes up and chases her in. I just gave her her meds and put her back in with him and he went crazy trying to chase her back up, lunging at her and I really had to push him away from her. What do I do!!?

It sounds like you may have to re-bond these 2 bunnies but I would give your female a week or so to recover from her spay etc before attempting the re-bond. You will need to do it in a neutral area. Bunnies can sometimes be awkward.

I agree with tonibun. Let her heal up.

Lunging and chasing isn't necessarily the end, but she will need to be in tip top condition and then you can see how it goes.
    Reliable and up to date info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...RHD2-July-2018

Urgh! Honestly I had buns as a kid in the "traditional" terrible conditions sense until I got better educated. 2 boys in a far too small enclosure, only on muesli and not neutered, both lived to 11 years and never ever fought! I put so so much work in to my buns now trying to do everything right by them as I would never have bunnies living in those conditions again. I feel so guilty when I realise how badly they were treated when I didn't have the knowledge to look after them properly. But why the drama with these too! Too spoilt maybe...

But on a more serious note, they still seemed pretty sound when he was happy Lola is in the house at the top. He even went up to give her a wee groom. And now that they are separated they are popping their noses together etc. Certainly not trying to get in together to rip shreds off each other. And even the lunging etc didn't seem like he was really trying to make contact with her. Just giving her a good telling. So I'm hopeful that once she is healed up a bit better I can get them back together.

The plan is to keep them right next door to each other and swap pens after each play time. I've also put some of each litter in the others litter tray and am going to run blankets with the scent for the 2 different pens. Any other suggestions? Later on in the week I'll try letting them play together in more neutral ground.

Wise Old Thumper

I ampretty sure you will be able to get them together, but the priority right now is your little girl recovers from her operation. If you are swapping litter trays you must make sure they are clean as you don't want an infection to start. I would give a female rabbit a couple of weeks before she can be really back to normal. They need stitches out in 10 days so then you should be OK. You were very lucky with your first 2 rabbits.

Thank you again for advice. It's so reassuring to be able to ask questions and get such great advice so quickly!

Tell me about it...it was around 15-20 years ago now so understanding around rabbits and their care was very limited but I don't know how we didn't have an emergency situation with those! Poor babies. They were such friendly bunnies too...

I'll probably be back to ask some advice around rebonding them again so I apologise to bothering everyone. Just want to make sure to get it right.

Wise Old Thumper

You are not bothering us. This is basically why we are here to help owners. When I started keeping rabbits 20 years ago there was no Internet, no Rabbiting On Magazine, just a few books in the Library, mostly with very basic info in them. We have come a long way since then regarding diet and housing, etc. Back then I never knew you could litter train rabbits but now most of mine are litter trained. Let us know how things are going.

Warren Veteran

It doesn't sound like they will be hard to rebond. I think in sight of each other sounds a good plan but I agree with Tonibun about prioritising a super clean environment for your girl & giving her a good while to get fit before reintroductions.

Its interesting what you say about keeping rabbits now compared to the bunny dark ages. I still have nightmares about my hutch bunny I had as a kid. He lived to about 8 on pellets, some hay, all alone with one vet visit for a broken claw. My OH as a kid - teenager had a pair of does living in some kind of enclosure with free reign of the garden (lots of tasty forage! - I;ve seen that garden ) - the family diagree about hay, commercial food but it was definitely low maintainence in what they provided & would not have involved mountains of hay. They were not spayed, vaccinated, never visited the vet until their time came. They could (& did on occassion) escape into the alley ways, there was (is) a main road at the front These bunnies lived to 12 & 12.5 years . Go figure

It's interesting isn't it! I'd never go back to treating my buns like that again but this way seems to cause more stress to me and them!

Also, any suggestions of how to get Lola to take her Loxicom? It is the single most stressful experience for both of us. I have tried sitting over her with my legs crossed behind me, tried bunny burrito but she just goes mad! Bunny burrito is more successful but she has just started to chew the blanket like crazy and now I'm scared she is swallowing some of that! She also nipped my arm this morning trying to do it...she just hates it so much. It just results in her freaking out, and me in tears cause I'm terrified I've hurt her! she isn't a cuddly bun at all anyway and the stress of having my hang on to her like that is so much for her. I'm also scared that with all her scrabbling and moving to get free she will open a wound! Any other suggestions gratefully accepted!

Last edited by Crinklewhiskers; 02-07-2018 at 09:55 AM.