• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay bunny

Hello! Just looking for a wee bit guidance. Lola had her spay today and a wee bit extra to remove a wee lump off her shoulder. I got her home at about 6pm and she was seeeerioulsy spaced out and out of sorts. She seems a little less spaced and has moved around a little now. However I can't seem to get her to eat anything. She has been in her litter tray and passed about 15 or so pellets and her tray is filled with hay so she may have had a nibble but none of her greens are eaten.

The issue I have is that she is bonded with her brother and I was told not to separate them, but any time I put anything in to try to get her to eat he just totally snaps it up. So I've closed her into the dog pen at the moment with food etc and he is out playing and has access to their play pen. These are right next to each other and they can see small and even touch each other if they want. So what I need to know is do I keep them separate tonight to allow her the chance to eat something or will that be bad for their bond?

Vet sent me home with loxicom but told me not to give her any more until the morning. They gave her gut meds at the vet but none to take home with me.

Is she likely to be in trouble or is it ok as she is passing poops! Argh...I've never had to do this part before.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If she can't be tempted to eat (any dandelions or herbs perhaps) I'd syringe feed her. Its a big op & I understand many does may be reluctant to eat straight away. That she is pooing is good. Do you know if she was syringe fed at the vets post op. My vets always do after GA x

So I've tried her on dried dandelion, basil, rocket, carrot tops, dried dandelion roots, pellets and hay. She wasn't syringe fed but they did say that she was eating some rockets and hay at the vet before I picked her up. What will I syringe feed her, just water her pellets into a mush?

So I've tried her on dried dandelion, basil, rocket, carrot tops, dried dandelion roots, pellets and hay. She wasn't syringe fed but they did say that she was eating some rockets and hay at the vet before I picked her up. What will I syringe feed her, just water her pellets into a mush?

Yep this should work. If you have a bit of fruit & a hand blender that can be added which it will make it tastier for her. I'd carry on keeping an eye on her output & if it declines get in touch with your vets in the moorning for more gut motility meds. Good luck. I hope she is eating better & causing you less worry very soon

Hello! Just looking for a wee bit guidance. Lola had her spay today and a wee bit extra to remove a wee lump off her shoulder. I got her home at about 6pm and she was seeeerioulsy spaced out and out of sorts. She seems a little less spaced and has moved around a little now. However I can't seem to get her to eat anything. She has been in her litter tray and passed about 15 or so pellets and her tray is filled with hay so she may have had a nibble but none of her greens are eaten.

The issue I have is that she is bonded with her brother and I was told not to separate them, but any time I put anything in to try to get her to eat he just totally snaps it up. So I've closed her into the dog pen at the moment with food etc and he is out playing and has access to their play pen. These are right next to each other and they can see small and even touch each other if they want. So what I need to know is do I keep them separate tonight to allow her the chance to eat something or will that be bad for their bond?

Vet sent me home with loxicom but told me not to give her any more until the morning. They gave her gut meds at the vet but none to take home with me.

Is she likely to be in trouble or is it ok as she is passing poops! Argh...I've never had to do this part before.

Aawww she will have had Vetergesic (Buprenorphine) most likely so that will make her drowsy for a while.

If she's passing poops that's good news :)

Have you got a post op check up visit booked with the vet for 3 days time or so?

I would syringe feed her if she doesn't eat by herself. I often use organic baby food such as Ella's Kitchen - blueberries, or carrot and parsnip, and mix in some mashed up pellets. It makes it far tastier than just pellets mashed up.

I had a doe spayed a while ago, and it was nerve wracking as she didn't eat on her own for three days but was perfectly fine. If you think she might be building up gas you can also give Infacol as it does no harm - 1ml every hour for three doses.

Some info on stasis but you probably know all this already:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

I honestly think my 2 wait for me to post for advice on here and then sort themselves out cause it's a bit of a laugh! So she has pretty much just demolished half my basil plant with a few bits of rocket and one or 2 pellet. I take it this means she should be ok at least through the night now with the fact that she has passed pellets too? Think it's safe enough to let him back in with her? Just didn't want him scoffing all her food but as she has eaten a bit now and there is plenty hay available? He doesn't know what to do with himself poor boy.

I honestly think my 2 wait for me to post for advice on here and then sort themselves out cause it's a bit of a laugh! So she has pretty much just demolished half my basil plant with a few bits of rocket and one or 2 pellet. I take it this means she should be ok at least through the night now with the fact that she has passed pellets too? Think it's safe enough to let him back in with her? Just didn't want him scoffing all her food but as she has eaten a bit now and there is plenty hay available? He doesn't know what to do with himself poor boy.

:lol: well its brilliant she is eating by herself whatever prompted it. I wouldn't necessarily syringe feed under these circumstances, especially as your vet saw her eat hay. Maybe leave a few extra greens & if your boy ends up having a bit extra so be it. Wishing her a smooth recovery from here

Morning all. Managed to get Lolas pain meds into her this morning after some serious arguing about that. She isn't a touchy feely bun anyway and I only get to stroke her or give nose runs on VERY few occasions and on her terms so this is all very strange for us both. She really hates me right now...

So she ate a few pellets from my hand and is currently nibbling away at some basil and rocket. She just jumped into her tray to do some poops. But they are teeny tiny. I've read somewhere that this is quite normal after a wee bit slow down and as long as they start going back to normal over the next 12 hours or so she should be ok. Is this right?

Thanks

Morning all. Managed to get Lolas pain meds into her this morning after some serious arguing about that. She isn't a touchy feely bun anyway and I only get to stroke her or give nose runs on VERY few occasions and on her terms so this is all very strange for us both. She really hates me right now...

So she ate a few pellets from my hand and is currently nibbling away at some basil and rocket. She just jumped into her tray to do some poops. But they are teeny tiny. I've read somewhere that this is quite normal after a wee bit slow down and as long as they start going back to normal over the next 12 hours or so she should be ok. Is this right?

Thanks

Yeah, she should be on the way to recovery now :)

Small poops means less hay eaten, but as her appetite picks up they will begin to look more golden

Well done, over the worst with any luck!

Her appetite is definitely up and I've just spied her in the tray eating some hay now so hopefully that will help. She isn't refusing food or pushing it away now either which is reassuring. It's just making sure she gets some before buster barrels in and and guzzles it all now![emoji23]

What a long night though, slept on the sofa so I could get up through the night to give her greens and try and coax her to eat...every time they moved I was awake though...todays gonna be a long day! [emoji42]

Her appetite is definitely up and I've just spied her in the tray eating some hay now so hopefully that will help. She isn't refusing food or pushing it away now either which is reassuring. It's just making sure she gets some before buster barrels in and and guzzles it all now![emoji23]

What a long night though, slept on the sofa so I could get up through the night to give her greens and try and coax her to eat...every time they moved I was awake though...todays gonna be a long day! [emoji42]

Caffeine??

Help! :( so Lolas appetite seems to be back but Buster is now refusing to let her out of the little house in the upper area of their pen. Any time he hears her move he goes up and chases her in. I just gave her her meds and put her back in with him and he went crazy trying to chase her back up, lunging at her and I really had to push him away from her. What do I do!!?[emoji24][emoji24]

Help! :( so Lolas appetite seems to be back but Buster is now refusing to let her out of the little house in the upper area of their pen. Any time he hears her move he goes up and chases her in. I just gave her her meds and put her back in with him and he went crazy trying to chase her back up, lunging at her and I really had to push him away from her. What do I do!!?[emoji24][emoji24]

It sounds like you may have to re-bond these 2 bunnies but I would give your female a week or so to recover from her spay etc before attempting the re-bond. You will need to do it in a neutral area. Bunnies can sometimes be awkward.

I agree with tonibun. Let her heal up.

Lunging and chasing isn't necessarily the end, but she will need to be in tip top condition and then you can see how it goes.

Urgh! Honestly I had buns as a kid in the "traditional" terrible conditions sense until I got better educated. 2 boys in a far too small enclosure, only on muesli and not neutered, both lived to 11 years and never ever fought! I put so so much work in to my buns now trying to do everything right by them as I would never have bunnies living in those conditions again. I feel so guilty when I realise how badly they were treated when I didn't have the knowledge to look after them properly. But why the drama with these too! Too spoilt maybe...[emoji848][emoji23]

But on a more serious note, they still seemed pretty sound when he was happy Lola is in the house at the top. He even went up to give her a wee groom. And now that they are separated they are popping their noses together etc. Certainly not trying to get in together to rip shreds off each other. And even the lunging etc didn't seem like he was really trying to make contact with her. Just giving her a good telling. So I'm hopeful that once she is healed up a bit better I can get them back together.

The plan is to keep them right next door to each other and swap pens after each play time. I've also put some of each litter in the others litter tray and am going to run blankets with the scent for the 2 different pens. Any other suggestions? Later on in the week I'll try letting them play together in more neutral ground.

I ampretty sure you will be able to get them together, but the priority right now is your little girl recovers from her operation. If you are swapping litter trays you must make sure they are clean as you don't want an infection to start. I would give a female rabbit a couple of weeks before she can be really back to normal. They need stitches out in 10 days so then you should be OK. You were very lucky with your first 2 rabbits.

Thank you again for advice. It's so reassuring to be able to ask questions and get such great advice so quickly!

Tell me about it...it was around 15-20 years ago now so understanding around rabbits and their care was very limited but I don't know how we didn't have an emergency situation with those! Poor babies. They were such friendly bunnies too...

I'll probably be back to ask some advice around rebonding them again so I apologise to bothering everyone. Just want to make sure to get it right.

You are not bothering us. This is basically why we are here to help owners. When I started keeping rabbits 20 years ago there was no Internet, no Rabbiting On Magazine, just a few books in the Library, mostly with very basic info in them. We have come a long way since then regarding diet and housing, etc. Back then I never knew you could litter train rabbits but now most of mine are litter trained. Let us know how things are going.

It doesn't sound like they will be hard to rebond. I think in sight of each other sounds a good plan but I agree with Tonibun about prioritising a super clean environment for your girl & giving her a good while to get fit before reintroductions.

Its interesting what you say about keeping rabbits now compared to the bunny dark ages. I still have nightmares about my hutch bunny I had as a kid. He lived to about 8 on pellets, some hay, all alone with one vet visit for a broken claw. My OH as a kid - teenager had a pair of does living in some kind of enclosure with free reign of the garden (lots of tasty forage! - I;ve seen that garden :lol:) - the family diagree about hay, commercial food but it was definitely low maintainence in what they provided & would not have involved mountains of hay. They were not spayed, vaccinated, never visited the vet until their time came. They could (& did on occassion) escape into the alley ways, there was (is) a main road at the front :shock: These bunnies lived to 12 & 12.5 years . Go figure

It's interesting isn't it! I'd never go back to treating my buns like that again but this way seems to cause more stress to me and them!

Also, any suggestions of how to get Lola to take her Loxicom? It is the single most stressful experience for both of us. I have tried sitting over her with my legs crossed behind me, tried bunny burrito but she just goes mad! Bunny burrito is more successful but she has just started to chew the blanket like crazy and now I'm scared she is swallowing some of that! She also nipped my arm this morning trying to do it...she just hates it so much. It just results in her freaking out, and me in tears cause I'm terrified I've hurt her! [emoji22] she isn't a cuddly bun at all anyway and the stress of having my hang on to her like that is so much for her. I'm also scared that with all her scrabbling and moving to get free she will open a wound! Any other suggestions gratefully accepted! [emoji58][emoji58]

Last edited:
Back