Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spay bunny

Default Spay bunny

Hello! Just looking for a wee bit guidance. Lola had her spay today and a wee bit extra to remove a wee lump off her shoulder. I got her home at about 6pm and she was seeeerioulsy spaced out and out of sorts. She seems a little less spaced and has moved around a little now. However I can't seem to get her to eat anything. She has been in her litter tray and passed about 15 or so pellets and her tray is filled with hay so she may have had a nibble but none of her greens are eaten.

The issue I have is that she is bonded with her brother and I was told not to separate them, but any time I put anything in to try to get her to eat he just totally snaps it up. So I've closed her into the dog pen at the moment with food etc and he is out playing and has access to their play pen. These are right next to each other and they can see small and even touch each other if they want. So what I need to know is do I keep them separate tonight to allow her the chance to eat something or will that be bad for their bond?

Vet sent me home with loxicom but told me not to give her any more until the morning. They gave her gut meds at the vet but none to take home with me.

Is she likely to be in trouble or is it ok as she is passing poops! Argh...I've never had to do this part before.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If she can't be tempted to eat (any dandelions or herbs perhaps) I'd syringe feed her. Its a big op & I understand many does may be reluctant to eat straight away. That she is pooing is good. Do you know if she was syringe fed at the vets post op. My vets always do after GA x

So I've tried her on dried dandelion, basil, rocket, carrot tops, dried dandelion roots, pellets and hay. She wasn't syringe fed but they did say that she was eating some rockets and hay at the vet before I picked her up. What will I syringe feed her, just water her pellets into a mush?

Quote Originally Posted by Crinklewhiskers View Post
    So I've tried her on dried dandelion, basil, rocket, carrot tops, dried dandelion roots, pellets and hay. She wasn't syringe fed but they did say that she was eating some rockets and hay at the vet before I picked her up. What will I syringe feed her, just water her pellets into a mush?

Yep this should work. If you have a bit of fruit & a hand blender that can be added which it will make it tastier for her. I'd carry on keeping an eye on her output & if it declines get in touch with your vets in the moorning for more gut motility meds. Good luck. I hope she is eating better & causing you less worry very soon

Hello! Just looking for a wee bit guidance. Lola had her spay today and a wee bit extra to remove a wee lump off her shoulder. I got her home at about 6pm and she was seeeerioulsy spaced out and out of sorts. She seems a little less spaced and has moved around a little now. However I can't seem to get her to eat anything. She has been in her litter tray and passed about 15 or so pellets and her tray is filled with hay so she may have had a nibble but none of her greens are eaten.

The issue I have is that she is bonded with her brother and I was told not to separate them, but any time I put anything in to try to get her to eat he just totally snaps it up. So I've closed her into the dog pen at the moment with food etc and he is out playing and has access to their play pen. These are right next to each other and they can see small and even touch each other if they want. So what I need to know is do I keep them separate tonight to allow her the chance to eat something or will that be bad for their bond?

Vet sent me home with loxicom but told me not to give her any more until the morning. They gave her gut meds at the vet but none to take home with me.

Is she likely to be in trouble or is it ok as she is passing poops! Argh...I've never had to do this part before.

Aawww she will have had Vetergesic (Buprenorphine) most likely so that will make her drowsy for a while.

If she's passing poops that's good news

Have you got a post op check up visit booked with the vet for 3 days time or so?

I would syringe feed her if she doesn't eat by herself. I often use organic baby food such as Ella's Kitchen - blueberries, or carrot and parsnip, and mix in some mashed up pellets. It makes it far tastier than just pellets mashed up.

I had a doe spayed a while ago, and it was nerve wracking as she didn't eat on her own for three days but was perfectly fine. If you think she might be building up gas you can also give Infacol as it does no harm - 1ml every hour for three doses.

Some info on stasis but you probably know all this already:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

I honestly think my 2 wait for me to post for advice on here and then sort themselves out cause it's a bit of a laugh! So she has pretty much just demolished half my basil plant with a few bits of rocket and one or 2 pellet. I take it this means she should be ok at least through the night now with the fact that she has passed pellets too? Think it's safe enough to let him back in with her? Just didn't want him scoffing all her food but as she has eaten a bit now and there is plenty hay available? He doesn't know what to do with himself poor boy.

I honestly think my 2 wait for me to post for advice on here and then sort themselves out cause it's a bit of a laugh! So she has pretty much just demolished half my basil plant with a few bits of rocket and one or 2 pellet. I take it this means she should be ok at least through the night now with the fact that she has passed pellets too? Think it's safe enough to let him back in with her? Just didn't want him scoffing all her food but as she has eaten a bit now and there is plenty hay available? He doesn't know what to do with himself poor boy.

well its brilliant she is eating by herself whatever prompted it. I wouldn't necessarily syringe feed under these circumstances, especially as your vet saw her eat hay. Maybe leave a few extra greens & if your boy ends up having a bit extra so be it. Wishing her a smooth recovery from here

Morning all. Managed to get Lolas pain meds into her this morning after some serious arguing about that. She isn't a touchy feely bun anyway and I only get to stroke her or give nose runs on VERY few occasions and on her terms so this is all very strange for us both. She really hates me right now...

So she ate a few pellets from my hand and is currently nibbling away at some basil and rocket. She just jumped into her tray to do some poops. But they are teeny tiny. I've read somewhere that this is quite normal after a wee bit slow down and as long as they start going back to normal over the next 12 hours or so she should be ok. Is this right?

Thanks

Morning all. Managed to get Lolas pain meds into her this morning after some serious arguing about that. She isn't a touchy feely bun anyway and I only get to stroke her or give nose runs on VERY few occasions and on her terms so this is all very strange for us both. She really hates me right now...

So she ate a few pellets from my hand and is currently nibbling away at some basil and rocket. She just jumped into her tray to do some poops. But they are teeny tiny. I've read somewhere that this is quite normal after a wee bit slow down and as long as they start going back to normal over the next 12 hours or so she should be ok. Is this right?

Thanks

Yeah, she should be on the way to recovery now

Small poops means less hay eaten, but as her appetite picks up they will begin to look more golden

Well done, over the worst with any luck!
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

Her appetite is definitely up and I've just spied her in the tray eating some hay now so hopefully that will help. She isn't refusing food or pushing it away now either which is reassuring. It's just making sure she gets some before buster barrels in and and guzzles it all now!

What a long night though, slept on the sofa so I could get up through the night to give her greens and try and coax her to eat...every time they moved I was awake though...todays gonna be a long day!