• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay bunny

Mix it with her favourite food. She probably will be ok anyway without it, is it 3 days now since she was spayed?

It's a liquid though and not a paste? Should I still mix it in with her pellets? Thay would be so so much easier.

This is her 4th day post up but there still seems to be LOADS of it left. She does seem so much better as of yesterday! So maybe I don't need to get so stressed if she won't take it all...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's a liquid though and not a paste? Should I still mix it in with her pellets? Thay would be so so much easier.

This is her 4th day post up but there still seems to be LOADS of it left. She does seem so much better as of yesterday! So maybe I don't need to get so stressed if she won't take it all...

You could put it on a few porridge oats if she likes that sort of thing, or a small piece of dry toast :)

I'd give the Vet a call for advice as to whether she actually needs to continue having it. As you say she seems to be much better within herself it may be that the Vet will feel that it is appropriate to stop giving it, especially as attempting to do so is causing her a lot of stress. That could be counterproductive x

I might just do that. I'll give it a go in her pellets and if she still isn't having it I'll give them a call. They had a horrible start in life before rescued and aren't very trusting. I'm only just beginning to get their trust and have them stop running and hiding every time we enter the room and things so I really don't want to set that back either.

I might just do that. I'll give it a go in her pellets and if she still isn't having it I'll give them a call. They had a horrible start in life before rescued and aren't very trusting. I'm only just beginning to get their trust and have them stop running and hiding every time we enter the room and things so I really don't want to set that back either.

It's what I'd do in your situation :)

I recently had a doe spayed and my vet advised to give her the pain relief for 3 days and then only give her more if she appeared to be in pain. Tbh I think she would have been OK after 2 days.

If your rabbit is moving about OK and your vet says it's OK to stop it, I wouldn't be concerned to discontinue it.

You guys are diamonds! [emoji4] popped the medicine on food this morning and she snapped it up! So much less stress! Thank you! Now just the stress of trying to rebond at the weekend! 🤞 x

I am glad your bunny is doing better.
It was also fun to read the posts about the changes in caring for bunnies from a decade or two ago.

So I've had 2 successful bonding sessions now. Used the bathroom as neither had been there before. Had one session of 30mins and another of 20 (Lola seemed a bit more stressed out tonight so cut it short...she had just been for her vet check a little while earlier though) in both sessions she was really really wary of Buster and any time he goes near she freezes/bolts/bangs but in both nights he only actually chased or nipped her once which I think is good. And they both recovered from it well. I made sure to end the sessions when they both seemed relatively relaxed and gave them a bit of individual play time and attention each! [emoji4]any other suggestions on how I can get them back to living together happily would be gratefully received! [emoji4]

So I've had 2 successful bonding sessions now. Used the bathroom as neither had been there before. Had one session of 30mins and another of 20 (Lola seemed a bit more stressed out tonight so cut it short...she had just been for her vet check a little while earlier though) in both sessions she was really really wary of Buster and any time he goes near she freezes/bolts/bangs but in both nights he only actually chased or nipped her once which I think is good. And they both recovered from it well. I made sure to end the sessions when they both seemed relatively relaxed and gave them a bit of individual play time and attention each! [emoji4]any other suggestions on how I can get them back to living together happily would be gratefully received! [emoji4]

Sounding promising :)

You've probably seen all these, but just in case ..........

http://rabbit.org/the-most-important-word-in-bonding-is-patience/

http://actionforrabbits.co.uk/bonding.html

http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/ (good for pair bonding)

http://www.fatfluffs.com/info/bonding/

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...How-I-do-rabbit-bonding&p=6934868#post6934868

Book in RWAF shop:

https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/bonding-rabbits-by-fiona-campbell/

Mischief and Tinker’s Mum
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?462466-How-I-bonded-my-trios-videos!

Also, Mairwen Guard has put some brilliant bonding videos on YouTube which are well worth watching - do search for them as there are quite a few.

I would say that the longer you can keep them together, with no fighting, say for a whole day, then you are well on the way to having bonded bunnies. Chasing, fur pulling (a little) is normal. Sorry got to go.

I'm really really struggling with this bonding. Lola gets so stressed out when I try to move her to the bathroom to bond (only neutral/safe area I have) that I think she is too freaked out for bonding to work. She is jumpy and banging before I even introduce Buster to the room! I have got an area in my kitchen cordoned off now as they tend to stay in the other half so I thought it might work but even now she is banging at being made to go in there and it's not a 100% neutral space either so I'm really scared about introducing Buster. Help! Should I do it or not?

I'm really really struggling with this bonding. Lola gets so stressed out when I try to move her to the bathroom to bond (only neutral/safe area I have) that I think she is too freaked out for bonding to work. She is jumpy and banging before I even introduce Buster to the room! I have got an area in my kitchen cordoned off now as they tend to stay in the other half so I thought it might work but even now she is banging at being made to go in there and it's not a 100% neutral space either so I'm really scared about introducing Buster. Help! Should I do it or not?

I would say that irrespective of the normal advice given regarding a neutral area, if your gut feeling tells you that they would be more relaxed in an area where they have been before, I would say give it a try.

I bonded my two in a large area, which was not neutral and it was successful. This wasn't due to lack of knowledge, I just felt it would be OK. Rabbits are rabbits and they sometimes don't behave in the way the text book advises :)

My guess is that Lola is getting stressed, which in turn makes you feel stressed. Everyone needs to feel reasonably calm for it to work imo.

So still no success with the rebonding. I've gone back to the drawing board! It's really stressing us all out. Massive increase in time needed for feeding, cleaning time. Feels like I'm going through more hay and litter for some reason. So it's more expensive. They aren't getting the same amount of space I'd want and it's making me really sad and worried! [emoji17]
But, I've been advised to wait 4-8weeks post spay with Lola...So we are now at the 4 week mark. Apparently they will still be releasing pheromones to one another though...
They are in cages directly next to one another now. They groom each other through the bars and even share some hay etc. There is absolutely no aggression shown until they are physically in the same space as one another and then they get grumpy and go for one another a bit! [emoji37]anyway. Just needed to get that off my chest as I feel like the worst bunny parent ever right now...[emoji22]

Back