• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has anybody had a sticky eye/ side effect from the combined vaccine?

Hello, you’ve all been a great help with my newest rabbit Bucky, I’m after some advice on my other rabbit dexter. Dexter is a 6 month old mini lip, I’ve had him 3 weeks. He went for his vaccination a week ago at vets4pets it was the combined one they gave. My daughter noticed tonight his eye is all sticky underneath, it had me worried that I phoned the vets. I was made to feel like a prized idiot, told its a side effect and I felt like I was told I was wasting there time. I phoned the vets I usually use ( I was using vets4pets for there monthly plan) I’ve been shouted at for using a different vets, told abruptly that you realize there will be a charge, of course I realize that. I’m just concerned after a vaccination my rabbit has a runny/gunky eye and I’m
Worried. Has anybody else experienced this? I feel like a naughty kid right now for been concerned, he’s eating etc fine. Thanks Ali xx

I'm really sorry you were treated so rudely [emoji17] Personally I've not experienced a gunky eye as a result of the vaccination. However given that Dexter is a mini lop bun the eye issue may be due to a blocked tear duct. This is fairly common with mini lops as their faces are quite squished. In actual fact one of my bridge buns suffered from this quite frequently. Personally I'd have Dexter examined by a good rabbit vet to determine whether it is indeed a blocked tear duct and start treatment for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just reread your post and I'm actually quite annoyed at the way you were treated. Given how fragile rabbits can be health wise, any decent owner would be expected to take any potential health issue seriously. You certainly shouldn't have been made to feel you were wasting their time.

Hello, you’ve all been a great help with my newest rabbit Bucky, I’m after some advice on my other rabbit dexter. Dexter is a 6 month old mini lip, I’ve had him 3 weeks. He went for his vaccination a week ago at vets4pets it was the combined one they gave. My daughter noticed tonight his eye is all sticky underneath, it had me worried that I phoned the vets. I was made to feel like a prized idiot, told its a side effect and I felt like I was told I was wasting there time. I phoned the vets I usually use ( I was using vets4pets for there monthly plan) I’ve been shouted at for using a different vets, told abruptly that you realize there will be a charge, of course I realize that. I’m just concerned after a vaccination my rabbit has a runny/gunky eye and I’m
Worried. Has anybody else experienced this? I feel like a naughty kid right now for been concerned, he’s eating etc fine. Thanks Ali xx

Ali, you shouldn't be made to feel like that!

First off, a sticky eye is not a standard side effect of the vaccination.

Here's the data sheet with those side effects for you to see ..

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-455496

In very rare cases the appearance of mild clinical signs of myxomatosis may occur within 3 weeks of vaccination

The most common reason for the sticky eye is that the vaccination is a challenge to a rabbit's immune system, and therefore underlying conditions that the rabbit would usually cope with well are shown up. It's probably transient and whilst it's there I would bathe with cooled boiled water and a cotton pad twice daily.

By the way, you can visit any - or as many- vets as you like and there's no shame. So sorry you've been shouted at.
Not at all necessary!

Thank you for all your kind words and been so helpful, I really do appreciate it. Dexter went to the vets this morning, vet spent quite a while looking at his eyes. He thinks it’s an ulcer in his eye, he’s prescribed an antibiotic gel 3 times a day. I’ll try that for the next few days, hopefully it should sort it x

Thank you for all your kind words and been so helpful, I really do appreciate it. Dexter went to the vets this morning, vet spent quite a while looking at his eyes. He thinks it’s an ulcer in his eye, he’s prescribed an antibiotic gel 3 times a day. I’ll try that for the next few days, hopefully it should sort it x

You're welcome :D

Good you got it checked!

I hope the abx drops work x

df6805840832d51fa28add1c385cec63.jpg

Hope the antibiotics help him :) he's very cute [emoji7]

Regarding both vets, don't take that rubbish, I think I'm registered at 3 different vets [emoji38] it's up to you where you go and what for - not them! No shame at all, and if you aren't happy with a vet, getting a second opinion from a different vet is very normal... Not sure why the vet you wanted the second opinion from wasn't happy about that [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Back