Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody had a sticky eye/ side effect from the combined vaccine?

New Kit

Default Has anybody had a sticky eye/ side effect from the combined vaccine?

Hello, youíve all been a great help with my newest rabbit Bucky, Iím after some advice on my other rabbit dexter. Dexter is a 6 month old mini lip, Iíve had him 3 weeks. He went for his vaccination a week ago at vets4pets it was the combined one they gave. My daughter noticed tonight his eye is all sticky underneath, it had me worried that I phoned the vets. I was made to feel like a prized idiot, told its a side effect and I felt like I was told I was wasting there time. I phoned the vets I usually use ( I was using vets4pets for there monthly plan) Iíve been shouted at for using a different vets, told abruptly that you realize there will be a charge, of course I realize that. Iím just concerned after a vaccination my rabbit has a runny/gunky eye and Iím
    Worried. Has anybody else experienced this? I feel like a naughty kid right now for been concerned, heís eating etc fine. Thanks Ali xx

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

I'm really sorry you were treated so rudely Personally I've not experienced a gunky eye as a result of the vaccination. However given that Dexter is a mini lop bun the eye issue may be due to a blocked tear duct. This is fairly common with mini lops as their faces are quite squished. In actual fact one of my bridge buns suffered from this quite frequently. Personally I'd have Dexter examined by a good rabbit vet to determine whether it is indeed a blocked tear duct and start treatment for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

I've just reread your post and I'm actually quite annoyed at the way you were treated. Given how fragile rabbits can be health wise, any decent owner would be expected to take any potential health issue seriously. You certainly shouldn't have been made to feel you were wasting their time.

[IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Quote Originally Posted by msalisoncarroll View Post
    Hello, youíve all been a great help with my newest rabbit Bucky, Iím after some advice on my other rabbit dexter. Dexter is a 6 month old mini lip, Iíve had him 3 weeks. He went for his vaccination a week ago at vets4pets it was the combined one they gave. My daughter noticed tonight his eye is all sticky underneath, it had me worried that I phoned the vets. I was made to feel like a prized idiot, told its a side effect and I felt like I was told I was wasting there time. I phoned the vets I usually use ( I was using vets4pets for there monthly plan) Iíve been shouted at for using a different vets, told abruptly that you realize there will be a charge, of course I realize that. Iím just concerned after a vaccination my rabbit has a runny/gunky eye and Iím
    Worried. Has anybody else experienced this? I feel like a naughty kid right now for been concerned, heís eating etc fine. Thanks Ali xx

Ali, you shouldn't be made to feel like that!

First off, a sticky eye is not a standard side effect of the vaccination.

Here's the data sheet with those side effects for you to see ..

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-455496

In very rare cases the appearance of mild clinical signs of myxomatosis may occur within 3 weeks of vaccination

The most common reason for the sticky eye is that the vaccination is a challenge to a rabbit's immune system, and therefore underlying conditions that the rabbit would usually cope with well are shown up. It's probably transient and whilst it's there I would bathe with cooled boiled water and a cotton pad twice daily.

By the way, you can visit any - or as many- vets as you like and there's no shame. So sorry you've been shouted at.
    Not at all necessary!
    Reliable and up to date info on RHD2:
    An extensive and comprehensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...RHD2-July-2018

New Kit

Thank you for all your kind words and been so helpful, I really do appreciate it. Dexter went to the vets this morning, vet spent quite a while looking at his eyes. He thinks itís an ulcer in his eye, heís prescribed an antibiotic gel 3 times a day. Iíll try that for the next few days, hopefully it should sort it x

Thank you for all your kind words and been so helpful, I really do appreciate it. Dexter went to the vets this morning, vet spent quite a while looking at his eyes. He thinks itís an ulcer in his eye, heís prescribed an antibiotic gel 3 times a day. Iíll try that for the next few days, hopefully it should sort it x

You're welcome

Good you got it checked!

I hope the abx drops work x

New Kit

Hope the antibiotics help him he's very cute

Regarding both vets, don't take that rubbish, I think I'm registered at 3 different vets it's up to you where you go and what for - not them! No shame at all, and if you aren't happy with a vet, getting a second opinion from a different vet is very normal... Not sure why the vet you wanted the second opinion from wasn't happy about that

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

What a cutie pie

New Kit

Dexter went back to the vets today, his eye is now totally fine he’s had his 2nd vaccination x