• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plumpkin, Bea and Mr. Hamo

Beapig

Mama Doe
I thought everyone might be interested to know that I started bonding my trio yesterday! We were off to a bit of a rocky start with Beatrice showing aggression to Plumps and pulling her fur out (Beatrice is in love with Hamilton and I know she is protective of him as her 'property'), but it is day 2 now and Beatrice has mellowed and is behaving more curiously around her. Mr. Hamo is the most sweet natured boy in the world and just wanted to show Plumps affection from the start.

Poor Plumpkin is a timid girl - timid with humans and bunnies alike. I think it will take her a while to grow her confidence and not just run away from both Hamilton and Beatrice when she is approached, even if there is no aggression in their approach.

My biggest concern is actually about food, because she is still a SLOW eater and is still underweight. Having competition could mean she doesn't get her share. But ultimately, I think that once they've all settled down she will start to feel more comfortable in her own skin and be more assertive in her place within the group.

She is a complete angel and I know that they will make a happy trio in the end.

P.S. sorry I haven't been on here much recently or replied to messages about Ham's recent bloat, I was feeling overwhelmed by the constant vet bills and fretting over their health so decided to take a step back a little bit.

Fingers crossed for the bond for you all. That’s understandable, don’t forget we are an understanding lot though so you could always vent to us :love:

Thank you Zoobec <3 Yes absolutely - everyone is so supportive on here and I honestly don't think I could have managed being a first time rabbit owner without the knowledge and support of you lovely RU people!

This all sounds really positive and don't worry -there are lots of understanding RU ers that know how worrying and stressful poorly bunnies are and all deal with it in their own way. There should be no judgement. Continued good luck with your bonding. X

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

They will get along fine. Just give them some time. We had two females last year at first they both were nibbing n fighting. Which went on for 4/5 days. We were forced to keep one of them always inside the hutch. But after some time they both started bonding n playing together. So even if it's a rocky start they will get along eventually. Just be the loving parent that u r. Lots of love to the trio.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

Good luck with your trio. I’m sure they will all settle down soon and will become best friends. As you know, I’m bonding my first trio at the moment and it’s so stressful and tiring but it will be worth it afterwards I’m sure. Are you regretting choosing the hottest week ever to bond?!

Ooo excited to hear you've took the plunge with your trio. I'm super jealous of all this trio bonding going on atm!

Don't apologise for not being on here much etc sometimes you just need to get on with whatever and allow your head to clear a little x

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Thank you so much everyone, you're all so kind and lovely! <3 Nikki26 haha yes it is ridiculously hot, although it has made my bunnies sleepier and therefore less inclined to quibble, which is a plus ;) :lol:

IMG-20180627-WA0003 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

Today is day 3 and things are going well. The buns are all snuggling for the first time (well, this is the closest that Beatrice (black nethie) has come to snuggling Plumpkin (big white fluff ball) so far :D They seem to like Plumpkin's old hutch which is where they're all hanging out at the minute.

:love: :love: I am so happy for you, they all look content in each others presence even if there is no major love going on right now and it's only day 3. I think your in to a winner here [emoji14]

Thank you so much for the kind words everyone <3 I'm pleased to say that they're all living in harmony now - I have even seen Bea grooming Plumpkin which is huge progress! This is everything I've ever wanted for her and it's so lovely to see her running around and snuggling with the other two :)

The only thing that concerns me is she is still a much slower eater than Ham & Bea. In the morning I have to supervise her veg bowl and keep the others away because she seriously takes 20 minutes longer to eat hers. I am similarly concerned about the FibaFirst sticks because the other two keep trying to nick them. Does anyone else have a bun with special dietry requirements, and if so how do you make sure he/she is getting what they need in a bonded pair/trio/quad etc?

Thank you so much for the kind words everyone <3 I'm pleased to say that they're all living in harmony now - I have even seen Bea grooming Plumpkin which is huge progress! This is everything I've ever wanted for her and it's so lovely to see her running around and snuggling with the other two :)

The only thing that concerns me is she is still a much slower eater than Ham & Bea. In the morning I have to supervise her veg bowl and keep the others away because she seriously takes 20 minutes longer to eat hers. I am similarly concerned about the FibaFirst sticks because the other two keep trying to nick them. Does anyone else have a bun with special dietry requirements, and if so how do you make sure he/she is getting what they need in a bonded pair/trio/quad etc?

I'm so happy for you & your buns, especially Plumpkin. Congratulations on nailing a trio bond in a relatively short period of time. I think the only option is to separate once or twice a day to give Plumpkin extras . If Bea catches on & gets jealous I would give her a tiny bit of whatever Plumkin has had when they go back in together. Obviously rabbit are far from stupid & will smell foods on each other

Luna currently receives a different diet to Ralph and she's also a relatively slow eater.

I tend to get their daily rations ready then give both some pellets in separate piles, Ralph gets slightly more so Luna's finished hers before he's guzzled his down and is on the prowl for hers.

I have the luxury at the moment of being off work so throughout the day I'll pop a few more to her whilst he's lay down somewhere.

At the end of the day Ralph usually gets the rest of his and Luna in theory doesn't have much left of her daily intake to eat.

It works for me as Luna seems to have gusto at the start then gets bored and wants to run around like a loony so she suits smaller portions throughout the day

Thank you for the advice joey&boo and Leannean27, that's honestly so helpful. I think that another thing is Plumpkin hasn't been used to having competition for her food, so when that hits home I hope she'll speed up a little bit and have more of a 'survival' instinct!

This morning she took a big piece of kale out of her bowl and I thought she was going to run off with it to eat it in private, but instead she took it over to Hamilton to share it with him, Lady and the Tramp style :lol: She just has a big heart!

20180630_205924 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

Elphie (and Arce, before her passing) both got/get fed an additional meal and/or additional treats throughout the day because of slow eating. Would normally just isolate them for half hour or so to give them time to eat in peace.

Your trio looks lovely. :love:

Back