Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit Friendly Wild Flowers

Default Rabbit Friendly Wild Flowers

We have a medium sized garden with about 10 trees spaced about 4 feet apart. I would love to plant some wild flowers that would grow nicely in between them and that grow back every year and are rabbit safe. I looked at the Galens Garden flower seed mix but not sure if it would give a good flower display. I would like a mix of 2 or 3 flowers so any single flower suggestions. Or is the Galens Garden below ok ?

Flower Meadow Mix

Timothy and fescue grass, calendula, chicory, multi-coloured cornflower, goats rue, golden rod, mallow, red & white yarrow

I don't have any buns right now so just want to future proof the garden just in case and for it to look pretty also.
    Lance got your wings 31/7/13. I will never forget u my gentle sensitive soul x x x Rosie my beautiful baby girl. . Said goodbye on 6/7/15. Brave Code, u made us so proud my gentle boy. Hope all of you is working now my snuffler,
    22 August 2016. Oliver my gentle baby boy, hope you have found the others, 30th July 2017. Will never forget you all my angels.

Quote Originally Posted by nickybunny1 View Post
    We have a medium sized garden with about 10 trees spaced about 4 feet apart. I would love to plant some wild flowers that would grow nicely in between them and that grow back every year and are rabbit safe. I looked at the Galens Garden flower seed mix but not sure if it would give a good flower display. I would like a mix of 2 or 3 flowers so any single flower suggestions. Or is the Galens Garden below ok ?

Flower Meadow Mix

Timothy and fescue grass, calendula, chicory, multi-coloured cornflower, goats rue, golden rod, mallow, red & white yarrow

I don't have any buns right now so just want to future proof the garden just in case and for it to look pretty also.
    I've got the galens garden flower mix growing in a big planter. It's alot of grass at the moment. The rest is just appearing now. I'd say go for it. Im going to order more seeds

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Bam & Charlie

Wise Old Thumper

What's growing on the ground at the moment? If it's grass, are you intending to dig it all up or let it grow longer and plant wildflowers into it?

I like these two companies for wildflower seeds: https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/kykeonplants and https://wildseed.co.uk/species/category/wild-flowers. Wherever you get wildflower seed from, make sure it's been collected from the UK and so is native. You'll also obviously need to check that the plants are safe for rabbits.

I like, and have grown, Geranium (pratense and sanguineum), Meadowsweet, Mallow (Musk and Common) and Common Vetch (this won't come up every year, but will self-seed). I would also think about Wild Thyme, Wild Oregano and Wild Salvia.

It sounds like it will look attractive

ETA I also wouldn't be without Lemon Balm. It's not terribly colourful, but does make an attractive plant and is easy to grow (rabbits also like it )
    Last edited by Omi; 26-06-2018 at 04:17 PM.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Quote Originally Posted by nickybunny1 View Post

Flower Meadow Mix

Rabbit safe? 'Just in case' ?? What are these words I hear Nicky?
    Reliable and up to date info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...RHD2-July-2018

Thanks Omi, those are very helpful and lovely suggestions. There is just grass / lawn between the trees so might just dig a wee narrow trench between them and plant the seeds say 3 feet long between the trees by about 20 cm wide.
    Lance got your wings 31/7/13. I will never forget u my gentle sensitive soul x x x Rosie my beautiful baby girl. . Said goodbye on 6/7/15. Brave Code, u made us so proud my gentle boy. Hope all of you is working now my snuffler,
    22 August 2016. Oliver my gentle baby boy, hope you have found the others, 30th July 2017. Will never forget you all my angels.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Rabbit safe? 'Just in case' ?? What are these words I hear Nicky?

Oh MM !! lol I know !! I Just in case it ever happens !

I'd definitely try some geraniums- perennial (keep coming back) and low maintenance. Pinks/purples/white/blues. Different types flower through the season and the rabbits love them.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Thank you Julia I will check those out also .

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaW View Post
    I'd definitely try some geraniums- perennial (keep coming back) and low maintenance. Pinks/purples/white/blues. Different types flower through the season and the rabbits love them.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Geraniums are lovely

They would get eaten pretty quickly I guess.
    I bought some plants last year and they took a year to get established, but well worth it
    Reliable and up to date info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...RHD2-July-2018

I was rea ding up on geraniums some are toxic some are not but then it got confusing ! Which type of geranium is safe ??