• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Friendly Wild Flowers

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
We have a medium sized garden with about 10 trees spaced about 4 feet apart. I would love to plant some wild flowers that would grow nicely in between them and that grow back every year and are rabbit safe. I looked at the Galens Garden flower seed mix but not sure if it would give a good flower display. I would like a mix of 2 or 3 flowers so any single flower suggestions. Or is the Galens Garden below ok ?

Flower Meadow Mix

Timothy and fescue grass, calendula, chicory, multi-coloured cornflower, goats rue, golden rod, mallow, red & white yarrow

I don't have any buns right now so just want to future proof the garden just in case and for it to look pretty also.

We have a medium sized garden with about 10 trees spaced about 4 feet apart. I would love to plant some wild flowers that would grow nicely in between them and that grow back every year and are rabbit safe. I looked at the Galens Garden flower seed mix but not sure if it would give a good flower display. I would like a mix of 2 or 3 flowers so any single flower suggestions. Or is the Galens Garden below ok ?

Flower Meadow Mix

Timothy and fescue grass, calendula, chicory, multi-coloured cornflower, goats rue, golden rod, mallow, red & white yarrow

I don't have any buns right now so just want to future proof the garden just in case and for it to look pretty also.
I've got the galens garden flower mix growing in a big planter. It's alot of grass at the moment. The rest is just appearing now. I'd say go for it. Im going to order more seeds

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

What's growing on the ground at the moment? If it's grass, are you intending to dig it all up or let it grow longer and plant wildflowers into it?

I like these two companies for wildflower seeds: https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/kykeonplants and https://wildseed.co.uk/species/category/wild-flowers. Wherever you get wildflower seed from, make sure it's been collected from the UK and so is native. You'll also obviously need to check that the plants are safe for rabbits.

I like, and have grown, Geranium (pratense and sanguineum), Meadowsweet, Mallow (Musk and Common) and Common Vetch (this won't come up every year, but will self-seed). I would also think about Wild Thyme, Wild Oregano and Wild Salvia.

It sounds like it will look attractive :)

ETA I also wouldn't be without Lemon Balm. It's not terribly colourful, but does make an attractive plant and is easy to grow (rabbits also like it ;))

Last edited:

Flower Meadow Mix

Rabbit safe? 'Just in case' ?? What are these words I hear Nicky? :lol:;)

Thanks Omi, those are very helpful and lovely suggestions. There is just grass / lawn between the trees so might just dig a wee narrow trench between them and plant the seeds say 3 feet long between the trees by about 20 cm wide.

I'd definitely try some geraniums- perennial (keep coming back) and low maintenance. Pinks/purples/white/blues. Different types flower through the season and the rabbits love them.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I'd definitely try some geraniums- perennial (keep coming back) and low maintenance. Pinks/purples/white/blues. Different types flower through the season and the rabbits love them.

Geraniums are lovely :love:

They would get eaten pretty quickly I guess.
I bought some plants last year and they took a year to get established, but well worth it :D

I wasn't aware of that. I used the reassurance of the Twigs way book who just talks about Geraniums in general-native cranesbills. Don't confuse them with pelagoniums which are more tender often kept as house plants that people sometimes call geraniums?

I wasn't aware of that. I used the reassurance of the Twigs way book who just talks about Geraniums in general-native cranesbills. Don't confuse them with pelagoniums which are more tender often kept as house plants that people sometimes call geraniums?

Yes, this is where the confusion arises. All Geraniums or Cranesbills are rabbit safe :thumb: Pelargoniums are a completely different plant.

Back