Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Fly strike - how to prevent?

  1. #1

    Default Fly strike - how to prevent?

    Hi all,

    My rabbits Cam & Bear absolutely despise being picked up and will kick excessively until they are put down, therefore checking their bum for fly strike is difficult.

    We clean the hutch/litter trays regularly in a bid to prevent it, but Cam especially seems to lack the ability to clean herself (she's young, and can clean herself, but doesn't - e.g. dirty paws).

    Would you recommend a fly strike guard like this? https://fetch.co.uk/beaphar-fly-guar...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    IOW
    Posts
    19,273

    Default

    Litter trays should be cleaned out every day or areas where the rabbits toilet. A good diet so the bunnies don't get poops stuck to them. This is what I do and have done for 20 years. Are your rabbits quite big making it difficult to handle them?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    Litter trays should be cleaned out every day or areas where the rabbits toilet. A good diet so the bunnies don't get poops stuck to them. This is what I do and have done for 20 years. Are your rabbits quite big making it difficult to handle them?
    Thanks,

    No they aren't big, they just squirm, wiggle, kick and go absolutely mental when we try to pick them up. I think it's because we've never really picked them up and because of that... They hate it.

    Any other tips ?

  4. #4
    Alpha Buck Leannean27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    657

    Default

    I use Johnson's fly strike spray as directed and also spray their hutch doors with it, whether or not it's deemed to be the best I don't know.

    Make sure the rabbits fur doesn't get wet/ damp, hubby had an errant hose today and got Luna so she stayed inside until she was completely dry.

    I also got some fly netting and stapled that to the hutch windows. I mean, they do have a door open to their run which doesn't have fly netting around it but if even 1 fly is prevented from entering it's worth it - my theory was their toilets are inside and so flies may be attracted through the window.

    Other than that I wonder if there are certain plants to repel flies or that are so strong in scent they naturally mask any rabbit odour, may be something to look into and plant nearby?

    Have you tried picking the buns up burrito style? My bun used to be quite jumpy (although she has got much better recently) so would put a tea towel over her and wrap it around so she felt snug and secure whilst I groomed her back end

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    145,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrules334 View Post
    Thanks,

    No they aren't big, they just squirm, wiggle, kick and go absolutely mental when we try to pick them up. I think it's because we've never really picked them up and because of that... They hate it.

    Any other tips
    ?
    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/flystrike/
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    44,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrules334 View Post
    Hi all,

    My rabbits Cam & Bear absolutely despise being picked up and will kick excessively until they are put down, therefore checking their bum for fly strike is difficult.

    We clean the hutch/litter trays regularly in a bid to prevent it, but Cam especially seems to lack the ability to clean herself (she's young, and can clean herself, but doesn't - e.g. dirty paws).

    Would you recommend a fly strike guard like this? https://fetch.co.uk/beaphar-fly-guar...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

    Thanks!

    Hi Chris

    Some folk use F10 spray as a deterrent. I think Graciee on here has tried it? It's not something I have tried or would recommend but perhaps worth a look.

    Some info on prevention here:

    http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/...tcaughtout.pdf

    http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-12/fly-strike.html

  7. #7
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    17,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Hi Chris

    Some folk use F10 spray as a deterrent. I think Graciee on here has tried it? It's not something I have tried or would recommend but perhaps worth a look.

    Some info on prevention here:

    http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/...tcaughtout.pdf

    http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-12/fly-strike.html
    I do use it and it works great for my bun

    Have you had your bunny vet checked to see if there's any reason she isn't able to keep herself clean? I'd do that before spraying her with anything x

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    I do use it and it works great for my bun

    Have you had your bunny vet checked to see if there's any reason she isn't able to keep herself clean? I'd do that before spraying her with anything x

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
    They both had their annual vaccinations last week and vets checked and said they were completely fine.

    If we:
    - Clean daily
    - Check for any unusual behaviours
    - Have a check for any runny/sticky bottom (we can do this as they stand on their hind legs for food)

    Will that be sufficient? We can try picking them up but I am not sure how that'll go!

  9. #9
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    IOW
    Posts
    19,273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrules334 View Post
    They both had their annual vaccinations last week and vets checked and said they were completely fine.

    If we:
    - Clean daily
    - Check for any unusual behaviours
    - Have a check for any runny/sticky bottom (we can do this as they stand on their hind legs for food)

    Will that be sufficient? We can try picking them up but I am not sure how that'll go!
    This has worked for me for 20 years. Most of us here are against applying chemicals to rabbits' skin, only if there is a special reason for doing so. When you pick up a rabbit hold him very close to you with a firm grip and when he realises he is safe he will stop kicking. The more you practise it the easier it will be.

  10. #10
    Mama Doe Truffpuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Greens Norton
    Posts
    1,114

    Default

    We use rear guard from the vets. Our buns are not easy to handle either so I feel your pain! Rear guard lasts 10 weeks at a time, so we towel the buns like a burrito dab on and thatís it.
    Being in a country with not much of a lengthily summer you only really need to probably do that twice maybe three times a year.

    We have timed our annual vaccination of them to be this week so summer is just kicking in, then it can be applied at the vets while we are there.

    If they are indoors you could use some kind of prevention to help like fly paper, and just making sure all bedding and if you have a run is clean.

    They are a nuisance!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Crazy bunny mum and proud! RIP Truffle, forever missed but always in our hearts.

    https://www.facebook.com/Waggytalesdogs/

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •