• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fly strike - how to prevent?

Chrisrules334

Warren Scout
Hi all,

My rabbits Cam & Bear absolutely despise being picked up and will kick excessively until they are put down, therefore checking their bum for fly strike is difficult.

We clean the hutch/litter trays regularly in a bid to prevent it, but Cam especially seems to lack the ability to clean herself (she's young, and can clean herself, but doesn't - e.g. dirty paws).

Would you recommend a fly strike guard like this? https://fetch.co.uk/beaphar-fly-guard-prevent-fly-strike-75ml-90614011?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyLbzmY7x2wIVE2YbCh2Q8gQkEAQYASABEgJoIvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks!

Litter trays should be cleaned out every day or areas where the rabbits toilet. A good diet so the bunnies don't get poops stuck to them. This is what I do and have done for 20 years. Are your rabbits quite big making it difficult to handle them?

Litter trays should be cleaned out every day or areas where the rabbits toilet. A good diet so the bunnies don't get poops stuck to them. This is what I do and have done for 20 years. Are your rabbits quite big making it difficult to handle them?

Thanks,

No they aren't big, they just squirm, wiggle, kick and go absolutely mental when we try to pick them up. I think it's because we've never really picked them up and because of that... They hate it.

Any other tips :)?

I use Johnson's fly strike spray as directed and also spray their hutch doors with it, whether or not it's deemed to be the best I don't know.

Make sure the rabbits fur doesn't get wet/ damp, hubby had an errant hose today and got Luna so she stayed inside until she was completely dry.

I also got some fly netting and stapled that to the hutch windows. I mean, they do have a door open to their run which doesn't have fly netting around it but if even 1 fly is prevented from entering it's worth it - my theory was their toilets are inside and so flies may be attracted through the window.

Other than that I wonder if there are certain plants to repel flies or that are so strong in scent they naturally mask any rabbit odour, may be something to look into and plant nearby?

Have you tried picking the buns up burrito style? My bun used to be quite jumpy (although she has got much better recently) so would put a tea towel over her and wrap it around so she felt snug and secure whilst I groomed her back end

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Hi all,

My rabbits Cam & Bear absolutely despise being picked up and will kick excessively until they are put down, therefore checking their bum for fly strike is difficult.

We clean the hutch/litter trays regularly in a bid to prevent it, but Cam especially seems to lack the ability to clean herself (she's young, and can clean herself, but doesn't - e.g. dirty paws).

Would you recommend a fly strike guard like this? https://fetch.co.uk/beaphar-fly-guard-prevent-fly-strike-75ml-90614011?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyLbzmY7x2wIVE2YbCh2Q8gQkEAQYASABEgJoIvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks!

Hi Chris

Some folk use F10 spray as a deterrent. I think Graciee on here has tried it? It's not something I have tried or would recommend but perhaps worth a look.

Some info on prevention here:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/Flystrikedontgetcaughtout.pdf

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-12/fly-strike.html

Hi Chris

Some folk use F10 spray as a deterrent. I think Graciee on here has tried it? It's not something I have tried or would recommend but perhaps worth a look.

Some info on prevention here:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/Flystrikedontgetcaughtout.pdf

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-12/fly-strike.html
I do use it and it works great for my bun :)

Have you had your bunny vet checked to see if there's any reason she isn't able to keep herself clean? I'd do that before spraying her with anything :) x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I do use it and it works great for my bun :)

Have you had your bunny vet checked to see if there's any reason she isn't able to keep herself clean? I'd do that before spraying her with anything :) x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

They both had their annual vaccinations last week and vets checked and said they were completely fine.

If we:
- Clean daily
- Check for any unusual behaviours
- Have a check for any runny/sticky bottom (we can do this as they stand on their hind legs for food)

Will that be sufficient? We can try picking them up but I am not sure how that'll go!

They both had their annual vaccinations last week and vets checked and said they were completely fine.

If we:
- Clean daily
- Check for any unusual behaviours
- Have a check for any runny/sticky bottom (we can do this as they stand on their hind legs for food)

Will that be sufficient? We can try picking them up but I am not sure how that'll go!

This has worked for me for 20 years. Most of us here are against applying chemicals to rabbits' skin, only if there is a special reason for doing so. When you pick up a rabbit hold him very close to you with a firm grip and when he realises he is safe he will stop kicking. The more you practise it the easier it will be.

We use rear guard from the vets. Our buns are not easy to handle either so I feel your pain! Rear guard lasts 10 weeks at a time, so we towel the buns like a burrito dab on and that’s it.
Being in a country with not much of a lengthily summer you only really need to probably do that twice maybe three times a year.

We have timed our annual vaccination of them to be this week so summer is just kicking in, then it can be applied at the vets while we are there.

If they are indoors you could use some kind of prevention to help like fly paper, and just making sure all bedding and if you have a run is clean.

They are a nuisance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find the easiest way to check mine is to feed them and, while they're eating, get my hand under their backside to check! You risk getting weed on but that's about it :) I found that standing on their hind legs a lot of their backside was still invisible: Lopsy's fluffy-ish and Aboleth has a bumskirt. Otherwise I just make sure their living areas are clean etc., the usual precautions.

Back