• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Galens Garden

Omi

Wise Old Thumper
I've noticed that Tethra seems to be eating less hay than I would like. It is difficult to judge though as Tui is stuffing herself most of the day and so comparison is possibly not the best judge. His poos, whilst still plentiful, are slightly smaller I think. I think he is filling himself up on forage, which of course is very plentiful this time of the year. It might also just be that he is hot and doesn't feel as hungry. They both get very few pellets in the evening.

He is also getting to the age when his Mum, Tan, started to eat less and find it difficult to maintain weight. I'll obviously keep a watch for any changes in his weight.

I don't normally supplement their diet with anything from online sites, but last night I ordered some forage and grass pellets from Galens Garden. Has anyone got experience of these?

I got Alpine Hay Pellets, Meadow Hay Cobs, Alpine Hay Brick and Hi Fibre Pellets. I thought they might be more interesting for him.

It looks like he's got a good selection there. Hopefully they'll help him maintain his weight, and of course that he likes them!

I had similar concerns with Snoopy in that I noticed he was starting to eat less hay during the day. So I started to go and pick loads of fresh grass which is available all day for both buns to eat. He's been much more enthusiastic about that. I was initially concerned that too much might upset his tummy, but thankfully he has a stomach made of concrete! I was able to get loads of really long strands of juicy fresh grass. Annoyingly over the last few days the council decided to mow it all. So I'm on a mission to find somewhere they haven't got to yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like he's got a good selection there. Hopefully they'll help him maintain his weight, and of course that he likes them!

I had similar concerns with Snoopy in that I noticed he was starting to eat less hay during the day. So I started to go and pick loads of fresh grass which is available all day for both buns to eat. He's been much more enthusiastic about that. I was initially concerned that too much might upset his tummy, but thankfully he has a stomach made of concrete! I was able to get loads of really long strands of juicy fresh grass. Annoyingly over the last few days the council decided to mow it all. So I'm on a mission to find somewhere they haven't got to yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice about grass :) I have been picking long strands for both of them every day recently and whilst Tui eats them enthusiastically, Tethra less so. I think the long strands here are becoming a bit dry as we haven't had rain for so long. However, I picked a large boxful of shorter green grass from a shady part of the garden this morning. It's possibly 30% Clover. He's eaten almost all of it himself. Tui started to pick out the Clover and then went back to hay! He's now almost finished a second box :D

Picky or what :roll:

I've got the same problem here with grass -I've a big area outside the backdoor that I only mow maybe twice a year and not all at the same time but it is looking very pitiful as we have had so little rain for weeks now. Bob has turned into a very fussy hay eater -I currently have 5 different types open- but he relishes fresh green grass. Trying to find some that I am happy is free from contamination (dogs/cars) is really difficult. Hate to say it but we need some rain!

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I haven't topped up the hay in any of my holders for a week :( Lopsy was also thinner than I'd like, but giving him more pellets worked (while holding Aboleth away: she's such a sweet girl she just tried to out-smart me but didn't force or anything :love:). Our roses are suffering, we're losing more petals than the bunnies can eat. I'm watering the grass (only time I've ever entertained watering a lawn is when it's free food!), and the OH keeps brambles in water until the evening. Bunnies just aren't eating that much though, and even the forage gets left for a while because they're sleeping the heat off I think. The OH isn't even gathering THAT much forage at the moment, so I dunno how they're keeping the weight on without hay.

I got gifted some Galens Garden stuff (from bisc&matt) and Lopsy loved it :) We didn't have Aboleth at the time. Mine do really go for a hay cookie (any brand) in their run, although the OH 'objects' because it makes such a mess. I'll give them one when I go away on Thursday, that'll please him! :lol:

Last edited:
I'm sorry that others are having the same problems. I think I have been concerned about Tethra as I have never known him to be a picky rabbit. He's always been greedy and gobbled up more or less all he's been offered.

However, it does seem to be a moisture content issue. The freshly cut short grass is still being eaten very enthusiastically, although there is not that much there that's still green.

Forage is still being eaten as normal, apart from the fact that stems are often discarded after the leaves have been taken. Tree leaves are still being eaten - they get Hazel and Hawthorn thin branches for overnight.

The Galens Garden stuff comes this morning, so I'll see how that goes down and how messy it is :lol:

All three of mine are less excited by food than usual in this heat. Fresh forage is no longer devoured in the first sitting & its so much less juicy I'm not surprised. Weirdly they seem very keen on dried forage (they have a sample bowl whenever I pack a dried stash up). I hope Tethra is just reacting to the weather. I guess his goodies will have arrived by now. Does he like them?

All three of mine are less excited by food than usual in this heat. Fresh forage is no longer devoured in the first sitting & its so much less juicy I'm not surprised. Weirdly they seem very keen on dried forage (they have a sample bowl whenever I pack a dried stash up). I hope Tethra is just reacting to the weather. I guess his goodies will have arrived by now. Does he like them?

In a word, no :lol: Only opened the grass pellets so far. He did sniff them, but that was all:lol: Tui will eat them, but only when there's nothing else on offer.

I hope it's just the weather too. He'll eat as much grass as I can give him, so I think he's possibly just becoming more picky :) He'll also eat pellets, but he only gets a few. Plus he'll eat tree leaves. His poos are not the best:(

Back