• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Off to the vets...

lindac

Warren Scout
just spoke to my vet on the phone, described Dubbs behaviour and the fact he has gone off his food and the size of Dubbs's poos and the vet wants to treat my boy for stasis before any decision is made about putting him to sleep...

So am going in to get some fluids put into Dubbs and to get yet another medicine to administer. The vet has now told me to take Dubbs off the Vetergesic as this can slow the gut down. If it is stasis and Dubbs gets back to how he was a week ago thats great but if its not, then this really is last chance saloon.

This emotional rollercoaster I am riding is the worst ride ever! I had made the decision last night to say goodbye to him today if he hadn't eaten over night, which he hadn't.

Atleast if he doesn't react to the stasis treatment i will know for sure that it is time...

Oh Lindac, I really feel for you.
I hope Dubbs eating picks up today.
Will be thinking of you.xx

Linda - I hope your trip to the vet was successful and that Dubb's gut is moving again. It's such a worrying time for you.

Thinking of you

hello..

well, Dubbs weight had dropped from 1.95 to 1.85k since Thursday, not surprising really as he hasn't been eating. the vet gave him some fluids via the scruff of his neck. he has also given me some prepulsid to administer 3 times a day.

the vet said that Dubbs didn't seem like a rabbit that is ready to die...but if we cant get the gut moving again then it really is the end of the line.

the vet has advised me to call him tomorrow with an update. the vet reckons if Dubbs isn't eating by tomorrow then we rea;lly should do the kindest thing.

i am wondering now how long usually it takes to get a gut moving again - anyone know? as yet Dubbs hasn't eaten anything substantial, just nibbling at hay and straw. will tomorrow be along enough time to judge that the medicine is working?

i am also given Dubbs some pineapple juice, just a 1.0mg so far...dont want to upset his tum any further.

thanks again for the support and kind words.
Linda

When claude had bloat he had an injection at 9.00am and didnt start eating untill about 3 pm so about 6 hours

Oh Linda - what a awful time your having at the moment - everytime I see a new post my tummy sinks not daring to read how Dubbs is doing.

All I can say it that like all on here I'm thinking of you and Dubbs -

Bunny Hugs to you both.

thanks for the time frame bluebunny...he had one nibble at a carrot top about an houre ago but thats it. he is now very very quiet in his hutch :-(

i know that deep down its not a stasis making him like he is, its his cancer and all the side effects...i was just hoping that it might be stasis instead.

awwwww Linda, I don't know what to say, I can only send a big hug for you and Dubbs to share.

Thinking of you both m'dear xxxxxxxxxxx

I am really sad for you lindac, but I do think you are brave and handling things very well. It must be so so hard to stay focused yet still carry such hurt as well. This is something all pet owners fear. As I have said before - It doesn’t matter how much you prepare for it, its unbearable when it happens. Good Luck and Fingers crossed.

morning everyone...

well my little boy hasn't eaten overnight bar a small nibble from a carrot top again.

he is reluctant to let me handle him this morning and seems down in the dumps.

i was having a tough time last night making the decision but i called my mum and she said that i dont have to make THE decision as it has already been made for me...just waiting for the vets to open now...

going to give Dubbs lots of nose rubs this morning and kiss his little head and nuzzle with him...

:( I can only send a big big hug to try and help you through today Gal! - Its sooooo hard and the moment every bunny mummy dreads but I think Dubbs would want you to know that if the time has come that your doing him the greatest kindness you can!! - she says with tears in her eyes :cry: and as someone very dear used to say to me:-

"Its better to have loved and lost than never loved at all" and Dubbs has been so lucky to have found such a loving bunny mum.

Thinking of you both.

:cry: Linda I'm so sorry that the news was not better. Just remember all the wonderful happy times you had together over the years and the lovely life you gave him.

This is just so tough for you, I can't imagine whats going through your mind. rmember, he's had a brilliant life with you xxxx

Back