• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Allowing burrowing in the run.....

orangediva

Mama Doe
.....to keep cool?

Dennis and Bella have made themselves a burrow in their run and appear to be using it to keep cool. I wouldn’t usually allow this and usually block off any burrows as soon as I see them but I’m tempted to let them keep this one in view of the heat. They are both in it now despite the run door being open for them to come out into the garden. The run is fully meshed underneath on what was originally grass but is now layers and layers of earth, hardwood chips and hay (it’s covered on top and three sides with shading).

Does anyone else allow burrowing? I don’t believe they can dig out, it’s weldmeshed underneath.

.....to keep cool?

Dennis and Bella have made themselves a burrow in their run and appear to be using it to keep cool. I wouldn’t usually allow this and usually block off any burrows as soon as I see them but I’m tempted to let them keep this one in view of the heat. They are both in it now despite the run door being open for them to come out into the garden. The run is fully meshed underneath on what was originally grass but is now layers and layers of earth, hardwood chips and hay (it’s covered on top and three sides with shading).

Does anyone else allow burrowing? I don’t believe they can dig out, it’s weldmeshed underneath.

Mine free-range in the garden when I am there, and I allow burrowing. When it begins to get deep and long I put a plant pot at the bottom so there is still a burrow but it goes no further.

Good idea MM, I’ll investigate the burrow tonight when it cools down and block it off with a pot. They are clever little things, they’ve dug it under a wooden garden bridge I’d painted and put in the run to give them some shade - they’ve got even more now!

Good idea MM, I’ll investigate the burrow tonight when it cools down and block it off with a pot. They are clever little things, they’ve dug it under a wooden garden bridge I’d painted and put in the run to give them some shade - they’ve got even more now!

Did you ever doubt it! :lol:

Hope you are OK yourself? xx

So long as no escape, then I'd let them have it. Neither of mine burrow thankfully ;)

I like MMs plant pot idea!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

So long as no escape, then I'd let them have it. Neither of mine burrow thankfully ;)

I like MMs plant pot idea!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

A rabbit I had a few years ago was an inveterate digger and I felt really bad stopping her from burrowing next door. But she just kept on digging more holes and of course I couldn't fill them in until she decided to leave this world!

Mine do a fair amount of 'raking', but there's not much burrowing goes on, really. When there is I usually fill it with water! But I don't mind TOO much, since the lawn is lumpy anyway! I just wish they'd dig the lumpy bits :lol:

My outdoor quintet have been doing some serious digging in their pit now they're allowed in that run. It was already excavated and lined with galvanised wire mesh to ensure no escaping. Persephone and Morph have found a space we didn't think diggable in their run too. It's been blocked by some concrete at the moment.

Back