• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit labour

should i feed her anything extra, will i be able to tell if its a fake pregnancy?
I don't think you'll know until you either have kits or not, it's difficult to tell even for a vet (so I've heard) I'd make sure she has a bowl of water, loads of fresh hay and maybe some extra pellets? Although hopefully someone else will comment on the pellets situation because I'm not 100%

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I don't think you'll know until you either have kits or not, it's difficult to tell even for a vet (so I've heard) I'd make sure she has a bowl of water, loads of fresh hay and maybe some extra pellets? Although hopefully someone else will comment on the pellets situation because I'm not 100%

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

when i give her hay she just puts it in her nest x

shes sleep next to me my hand was resting on her stomach because she fell asleep on my hand n im sure i felt a kick! x

Whereabouts do you live? Obviously, I don't mean your actual address but what county are you in? It could be that one of the RU members who has lots of experience with pregnant buns lives near you and can offer some support.

Whereabouts do you live? Obviously, I don't mean your actual address but what county are you in? It could be that one of the RU members who has lots of experience with pregnant buns lives near you and can offer some support.

england

I believe that when the doe starts to build a nest, the babies are about to be born in the next few hours

the nest building comes at the end/last day of the 28 day gestation

unless of course it is a phantom pregnancy

given she was nest building yesterday, I assume the babies have arrived, or it was a phantom pregnancy

some years ago, one of my un-neutered males jailbroke himself and spent a weekend with 3 does

28 days later, two does kindled, but the 3rd didn't have any babies...I guess she was infertile, so it is possible this time it was a phantom despite boy and girl being together for 6 months

I believe that when the doe starts to build a nest, the babies are about to be born in the next few hours

the nest building comes at the end/last day of the 28 day gestation

unless of course it is a phantom pregnancy

given she was nest building yesterday, I assume the babies have arrived, or it was a phantom pregnancy

some years ago, one of my un-neutered males jailbroke himself and spent a weekend with 3 does

28 days later, two does kindled, but the 3rd didn't have any babies...I guess she was infertile, so it is possible this time it was a phantom despite boy and girl being together for 6 months

she hasn’t given birth but we took her to the vet and he said he’s nearly 100% sure she’s pregnant

she has fully made the nest now tho and is always sleeping and her stomach looks like something is kicking inside

rabbits usually have silent births. you may not even realise she has had them without looking in the nest. leave her well alone, do not touch the kits. the only time you should be touching the kits is if they're injured, or one has fallen out of the nest. use some gloves, and place them back in. they may move about and be apart from one another in the nest but that is fine. other than taking care of mom, you will have nothing to do with the kits at all, and its best that way.

please do not put the male in with her as rabbits mating can be over with in a blink of an eye. its just far to risky, you get distracted, close your eyes for a second and its over. I have heard bunnies having two litters at once. he needs to be kept away from her and neutered asap. 6 months old is more than old enough to be neutered, mine was done at almost 5 months old.

once the babies are roughly 7-8 weeks old you will need to separate them into male and female groups. do not throw them in with dad as he will likely fight with them. the girls can stay with mom and the boys will have to go into another cage by themselves. no later than 8 weeks old can they all stay together in a mixed group.

rabbits usually have silent births. you may not even realise she has had them without looking in the nest. leave her well alone, do not touch the kits. the only time you should be touching the kits is if they're injured, or one has fallen out of the nest. use some gloves, and place them back in. they may move about and be apart from one another in the nest but that is fine. other than taking care of mom, you will have nothing to do with the kits at all, and its best that way.

please do not put the male in with her as rabbits mating can be over with in a blink of an eye. its just far to risky, you get distracted, close your eyes for a second and its over. I have heard bunnies having two litters at once. he needs to be kept away from her and neutered asap. 6 months old is more than old enough to be neutered, mine was done at almost 5 months old.

once the babies are roughly 7-8 weeks old you will need to separate them into male and female groups. do not throw them in with dad as he will likely fight with them. the girls can stay with mom and the boys will have to go into another cage by themselves. no later than 8 weeks old can they all stay together in a mixed group.

ok thanks

ADVICE NEEDED so layla has lost all fur on one side from pulliing it out should i be worried about how much shes lost i know theyshould pull it out but god its a lot and she has started panting and shaking does anyone know whythis may be x

Is your rabbit eating, drinking and pooing OK? Is she behaving normally, apart from the fur-pulling?

Unfortunately, as this was unplanned, you do not know when she should be giving birth. You, therefore, do not know if she is overdue, which could become serious. I would be concerned if she is panting and shaking. It could be a reaction to pain :(

I would advise that you telephone your vet and ask for advice. Do not take her to the vets in case she is about to give birth. I think if I were in your position I would want a vet to visit the house to examine her.

Back