• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pellets V Muesli

Yes I remember Frances saying the main issue with muesli was when bunnies would selectively eat their favourite bits, typically lower in calcium & then have their bowl topped up to start the process again. I like she has raised whether bunnies need nuggets (or muesli) at all. I do think I might struggle keeping Mouse's weight up with out them but J&B would be fine.Thanks for sharing

:D So Can we have Bunny Brunch Muesli back please? This is what a lot of us "old-timers" have been saying all along. :roll:

And a year was a reasonable amount of time! Just read Frances' bit and it would have been good if they had told us just how much was fed.

Last edited:
I think the issue with muesli remains. For responsible owners who feed grass, hay & greens its ok.For ignorant owners who see muesli as the main diet & will let rabbits selectively feed from it,its a potential disaster

It's ironic that my first two rabbits fed on muesli and huge amounts of carrots and bags of uncored apples lived the longest and never had to go to the vets, not once, other than their vaccinations.

I think the issue with muesli remains. For responsible owners who feed grass, hay & greens its ok.For ignorant owners who see muesli as the main diet & will let rabbits selectively feed from it,its a potential disaster

But what about the ignorant ones who see Nuggets as the main food and give too much?

I’ve always said this was the case and that education should be focused on feeding as lib hay with a small amount of concentrate, be it pellet or muesli.

But what about the ignorant ones who see Nuggets as the main food and give too much?

They at least get a nutritionally balanced diet with enough calcium. The bits of muesli bunnies tends to leave are the higher calcium bits

Good point.

My original two rabbits who loved muesli were always slim. Since using pellets 2 out of 7 of my rabbits have had to have their weight monitered, because they would scoff the lot. Difficult when you have a trio.

They at least get a nutritionally balanced diet with enough calcium. The bits of muesli bunnies tends to leave are the higher calcium bits

How do you know?
As far as I know the original study did not report results for a pellet only diet.

Even if rabbits eat all the muesli they are given daily, there is a chance with multiple rabbits living together that they can still selectively feed but still polish it all off between them. Pellets do even out the individual's nutritional intake.

Even if rabbits eat all the muesli they are given daily, there is a chance with multiple rabbits living together that they can still selectively feed but still polish it all off between them. Pellets do even out the individual's nutritional intake.

Yes, this is a good point.

Back