• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a trio - a success!!

Nikki26

Mama Doe
Hi All,

I have had two pairs of rabbits until a fortnight ago when we sadly lost my old girl Frankie. This has left me with Maddie & Ned, 7 year old brother and sister, and Ted, a three year old who is on his own.

I need to try and reduce my numbers so want to try them as a trio if at all possible. They have lived for the last few years in the same shed separated by double mesh so have lived as close as possible while not being together.

I have booked next week off work and am planning on having all three in my front room where none of them have been before. I will be setting up a smallish pen and will be setting up camp myself to supervise.

I have read as much as I can and know the do’s and dont’s as well as the risk of breaking the bond of my pair but I feel like I have to try. Any tips or words of support will be welcome!!

Last edited:
I'm sorry you lost Frankie. My best tips are huge piles of tasty foods they can eat together (I used forage) & don't be afraid to follow your instincts. Good luck

Hi All,

I have had two pairs of rabbits until a fortnight ago when we sadly lost my old girl Frankie. This has left me with Maddie & Ned, 7 year old brother and sister, and Ted, a three year old who is on his own.

I need to try and reduce my numbers so want to try them as a trio if at all possible. They have lived for the last few years in the same shed separated by double mesh so have lived as close as possible while not being together.

I have booked next week off work and am planning on having all three in my front room where none of them have been before. I will be setting up a smallish pen and will be setting up camp myself to supervise.

I have read as much as I can and know the do’s and dont’s as well as the risk of breaking the bond of my pair but I feel like I have to try. Any tips or words of support will be welcome!!

I bonded a trio last year and was pleasantly surprised at how quickly it worked. I thought the two boys would fight, but they were partners in crime within 10 minutes. The little girl took about 3/4 hours before she settled down with them.

Good luck :wave:

I bonded a trio last year and was pleasantly surprised at how quickly it worked. I thought the two boys would fight, but they were partners in crime within 10 minutes. The little girl took about 3/4 hours before she settled down with them.

Good luck :wave:

This is lovely to hear! Fingers crossed it goes as smoothly for me. My single boy is just desperate to be loved so I am hoping won’t cause too much trouble. Ned might be a bit more difficult!

This is lovely to hear! Fingers crossed it goes as smoothly for me. My single boy is just desperate to be loved so I am hoping won’t cause too much trouble. Ned might be a bit more difficult!

So long as one rabbit (male) gives way, you should be onto a winner :)

35 mins in so far and I think it’s going well. We have had a few stamps and lunges from Ted but Maddie and Ned are being nice and calm. Long way to go yet though!!

All still nice and chilled. Ted is stretched out now which is good as he was very worried at the start. I am so pleased with Maddie and Ned, they haven’t showed any sign of aggression at all. They’ve all put their heads down to each other but no one has taken the plunge and groomed anyone else yet but slowly slowly!!

Haha! I’m regretting not thinking their names through a little more! Ned and Ted does get a little confusing!

Good to hear there has been no scuffles as of yet, keep up the hard work.

You could always change the name (like deed poll)...... [emoji14]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

All still nice and chilled. Ted is stretched out now which is good as he was very worried at the start. I am so pleased with Maddie and Ned, they haven’t showed any sign of aggression at all. They’ve all put their heads down to each other but no one has taken the plunge and groomed anyone else yet but slowly slowly!!

Haha! I’m regretting not thinking their names through a little more! Ned and Ted does get a little confusing!

What a lovely update :D

I love their names :love:

BbmysUk.jpg

We’re just chilling at the moment but still in separate corners. I’m happy just to let them be at the moment and maybe, if things are still the same tomorrow reduce the space a little.

Please excuse the mess!!

When I bonded my quad they spent a few days chillin in separate corners but ended up best of friends. They had a huge space and loads of litter trays.

Looks like your three are doing really well.

Last edited:
When I bonded my quad they spent a few days chillin in separate corners but ended up best of friends. They had a huge space and loads of litter trays.

Looks like your three are doing really well.

Excellent! Thank you, it’s always nice to be reassured. I’ve now seen Ted groom both Maddie and Ned but no one has groomed him yet I dont think even though he keeps asking!

Things still seem to be going well. A bit of chasing overnight but I didn’t need to step in to separate. Ned has been jumping Naddie a bit but I think this is normal with the original pair? I camped out on my living room floor last night and am hoping I can sleep in my own bed tonight!!

They are all dipping their heads to each other but there is very little grooming going on. I am wondering whether to use the banana on the head trick so they lick it off each other.

Dinner last night:
HodkXOO.jpg

And because he’s cute and very chilled, this is Ted right now.
Q75wya1.jpg

So cute! I'm actually bonding a trio right now myself (I started yesterday) and it sounds like yours is going really well :)

Ted looks like he is taking it all in his stride. ......... or flop[emoji23]. Looks like it's going really well.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Back