• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone tried this sort of thing for a quad or group?

I think if my bunnies had been bigger I would have split them into 2 pairs, as you say.

I agree with all your other points :thumb:

I think you also need to take into consideration the strength of the bond in the group. I was almost 100% confident that the Rexes' bond was stable and that splitting them up into two carriers wouldn't cause any issues. I also used to split them up for some vet visits and leave one or some at home. With Tui and Tethra I have also split them and for one of Tui's post-op appointments I just took Tui. As an owner I think you can judge how stable the bond is.

When I had the 4 Rexes (each around 3kg), I split them into 2 Catit Cabrios and carried a carrier in each hand. I found it heavy and awkward, but certainly manageable. When there were only 3, I squashed them into one carrier. Yes, they were squashed, but then I reasoned they slept like that voluntarily each day anyway. I have a 15-20 minute car journey, plus a few minutes walk, depending on where I can park (no vet's car park).

If I had 4 again, I would split them into 2 carriers. I personally would be nervous about using anything on wheels, especially having to cross roads and going up and down kerbs. My main worry would be the trustworthiness of the carrier and the fear that a bump could pop open one of the doors, damage a wheel and/or that the carrier would get stuck in a rut in the middle of the road and therefore in danger of the traffic. I do worry much more about safety when they are in a carrier though, than if they are bump-free :)

I would consider what aspects are important to you and try to find a carrier which will suit you.

I would only transport them in a wheeled carrier the two or three metres from car to vet surgery as I said. Never crossing roads and up and down kerbs as you would have to to reach your vet. I'm sure they aren't meant for long distances :)

If a wheel broke in the vet's car park, and I sure someone would come and help :D

I would only transport them in a wheeled carrier the two or three metres from car to vet surgery as I said. Never crossing roads and up and down kerbs as you would have to to reach your vet. I'm sure they aren't meant for long distances :)

If a wheel broke in the vet's car park, and I sure someone would come and help :D

OK, as I said my vet has no car park at the main surgery and so I wouldn't be able to do this, but I can see that would work OK. It seems that when choosing a carrier it's necessary to take these factors into account.

I’ll be walking from the car park into the surgery - it’s not far at all, just 20-30 metres I’d guess. The surgery is big though, there’d be some walking inside on smooth floor.

I’d really like not to split mine up at all if I can help it - they are a new bond of 3 sisters and an unrelated boy and, though I’ve had no issues at all with them so far, I don’t want to take any chances if there’s a way round it.

I’ll be walking from the car park into the surgery - it’s not far at all, just 20-30 metres I’d guess. The surgery is big though, there’d be some walking inside on smooth floor.

I’d really like not to split mine up at all if I can help it - they are a new bond of 3 sisters and an unrelated boy and, though I’ve had no issues at all with them so far, I don’t want to take any chances if there’s a way round it.

We need some photos of your cuties. I admire how conscientious you are! Mine all get lumped in one pet carrier that probably isn't big enough but since the all go in a heap & somehow only use 50% of the space I'm not upgrading. Mine have a long journey too.I feel so mean typing this out. I remembers Boo's grumpy face when I put her in a seperate carrier facing J&M :( I won't do that again

Mine's a short journey and the car parking is on-road on a busy road. Mine do get bumped about by banging into my leg, but they're either fine with it (Lopsy) or already too traumatised just not being under their own power to care (Aboleth). I do apologise though!

If I had more, I'd consider making my own carrier!

We need some photos of your cuties. I admire how conscientious you are! Mine all get lumped in one pet carrier that probably isn't big enough but since the all go in a heap & somehow only use 50% of the space I'm not upgrading. Mine have a long journey too.I feel so mean typing this out. I remembers Boo's grumpy face when I put her in a seperate carrier facing J&M :( I won't do that again

I squished them into a Cabrio for their RHD2 jabs the week before last - I couldn’t believe how squashed they looked in it, so I definitely need something bigger. You are right though that they do tend to scrunch up together in carriers and my lot sleep scrunched up together as well.

I’ll definitely do photos soon, I just have this awful feeling I’ll jinx it if I post too soon :?

If I had more, I'd consider making my own carrier!

Sounds interesting - what would you do? Big plastic storage box with mesh?

I've been thinking some more about this carrier and actually it probably wouldn't be too difficult sew in galvanised mesh to replace/add extra protection to the sides, it would look alright and still be very light but a lot more sturdy

I've been thinking some more about this carrier and actually it probably wouldn't be too difficult sew in galvanised mesh to replace/add extra protection to the sides, it would look alright and still be very light but a lot more sturdy

Oooh yes good idea, I really liked the fabric carrier I saw at the vets, a sheet of weld mesh on those sides would do it. It’s a great size. Thanks for the idea :thumb:

I prefer to transport rabbits either singly or in pairs - they are easier to carry and to sort out at the vet. If you get matching, stackable carriers, they can be bungee'd on to a folding luggage trolley. Otherwise, I have used a 2' dog crate with extra handles on at each side (mainly to do a vet trip with 4 cats). It does really need 2 people to carry it, and the car doors need to be wide enough to get it in and out - as do the doors to the buildings it has to go to, but it isn't too bad for sorting out the different animals.

Back