• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone tried this sort of thing for a quad or group?

orangediva

Mama Doe
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MOOL-Light..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=MZ14FSC08T0PXXGFDSRP

I’m looking for a large carrier to hold four rabbits when they are all grown up - as their Catit Cabrio has done it’s final trip for vaccinations, there’s no way I’m getting four of them in it again and I ideally don’t want to separate them even for a car journey.

It’s for a 20 minute each way trip to vet plus sitting in waiting room, they’ll never be in it longer than that or be left alone in it - but am I being stupid and they’ll just chew out of it even if I’m watching? I can’t find a large enough plastic carrier (not worried about weight) so wondered if this might work. I saw a similar one with a cat in it at the vets the other week.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MOOL-Light..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=MZ14FSC08T0PXXGFDSRP

I’m looking for a large carrier to hold four rabbits when they are all grown up - as their Catit Cabrio has done it’s final trip for vaccinations, there’s no way I’m getting four of them in it again and I ideally don’t want to separate them even for a car journey.

It’s for a 20 minute each way trip to vet plus sitting in waiting room, they’ll never be in it longer than that or be left alone in it - but am I being stupid and they’ll just chew out of it even if I’m watching? I can’t find a large enough plastic carrier (not worried about weight) so wondered if this might work. I saw a similar one with a cat in it at the vets the other week.

Does it have wheels?

I've looked into this carefully for my four and I did decide on one that had wheels and a pull along thingy. It would be well big enough for my lot as even to get them from the car to the vet I wouldn't be able to lift the carrier!

Back when I had a quad, they’d have chewed out of that before we got to the vets :shock::lol: I used this one http://m.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/crates/small_dog_crates/169763 which is brilliant, handles at both ends and very sturdy.

That looks very good size wise and obviously secure - could you lift it with four buns in it? MM has made me think about carrying it now. Also I only have a Fiat 500 so I have to watch the size, though I can fold my back seats down if needed.

That looks very good size wise and obviously secure - could you lift it with four buns in it? MM has made me think about carrying it now. Also I only have a Fiat 500 so I have to watch the size, though I can fold my back seats down if needed.

Yes, I could carry it fine, the handles at either end helps. Mine were only little bunnies - all 4 were 1.5 Kg or under.

I don’t think it has wheels - wondering now if there’s a similar style with wheels

* goes off to look*

I wouldn't get another carrier without wheels.
I have a large one already that takes the four of them easily, but I just can't carry it!

Found this one - size 4 looks right:

http://m.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/crates/large_dog_crates/46459?rrec=true

You can buy a wheel set for all sizes 8)

Looks sturdy and good, but I imagine it might be tricky trying to fish the correct bunny out from the back. The one I have you can open from either end of the carrier. I personally wouldn’t want to wheel my rabbits across a pavement or vets car park, I wouldn’t want them being bumped about and I wouldn’t like them being close to the floor for contamination.

Looks sturdy and good, but I imagine it might be tricky trying to fish the correct bunny out from the back. The one I have you can open from either end of the carrier. I personally wouldn’t want to wheel my rabbits across a pavement or vets car park, I wouldn’t want them being bumped about and I wouldn’t like them being close to the floor for contamination.

Yes those are good points - it’s turning into a minefield! Just not sure how far I can potentially carry an approximately 15kg weight of bunnies plus box!

To be honest, my rabbits get bumped about just by me carrying them, as ergonomically a carrier is such a tricky thing to hold I find. Having to hold it away from the body with a good few kilos weight where the handle is in the middle makes it very awkward for me!

I certainly wouldn't worry about contamination from them being a few inches off the floor, as I pack the carrier with vet bed. I always have padding up the sides of carriers for the reason that when I carry them they can bump against the side and I don't want that :)

Two or three metres from the car into the vet's waiting room would be acceptable if the alternative was not being able to get them to the vet at all!

I’m now fascinated by weight and what sort of weights I’ve previously carried and how far!

2 x 2kg to 2.5kg buns in a Catit Cabrio (4.21kg) plus bedding and hay is around 8.5kg to 9.5kg - I can reasonably manage that for short distances into the vets but can’t really manage two lots of 8.5kg if I take both my pairs to the vet at the same time. I’m thinking I need a really lightweight carrier that will hold 12kilos of rabbit - or wheels!

I’m now fascinated by weight and what sort of weights I’ve previously carried and how far!

2 x 2kg to 2.5kg buns in a Catit Cabrio (4.21kg) plus bedding and hay is around 8.5kg to 9.5kg - I can reasonably manage that for short distances into the vets but can’t really manage two lots of 8.5kg if I take both my pairs to the vet at the same time. I’m thinking I need a really lightweight carrier that will hold 12kilos of rabbit - or wheels!

I'd quite forgotten to include the weight of the carrier itself!

That explains why I find the buns so heavy. I thought it was because of the way you have to carry it (with the handle in the middle, which bumps the legs as you walk :lol:). Of course you're right, the weight of the carrier is at least another bun's worth if not more :)

Or a personal trainer to get bigger biceps? ;)

The mesh that's used in those soft carriers is very appealing to a lot of rabbits and they can chew big holes through it in seconds so I would be concerned about that. I know the struggle though, it's tough when you have to transport groups!

When I had the 4 Rexes (each around 3kg), I split them into 2 Catit Cabrios and carried a carrier in each hand. I found it heavy and awkward, but certainly manageable. When there were only 3, I squashed them into one carrier. Yes, they were squashed, but then I reasoned they slept like that voluntarily each day anyway. I have a 15-20 minute car journey, plus a few minutes walk, depending on where I can park (no vet's car park).

If I had 4 again, I would split them into 2 carriers. I personally would be nervous about using anything on wheels, especially having to cross roads and going up and down kerbs. My main worry would be the trustworthiness of the carrier and the fear that a bump could pop open one of the doors, damage a wheel and/or that the carrier would get stuck in a rut in the middle of the road and therefore in danger of the traffic. I do worry much more about safety when they are in a carrier though, than if they are bump-free :)

I would consider what aspects are important to you and try to find a carrier which will suit you.

To be honest, my rabbits get bumped about just by me carrying them, as ergonomically a carrier is such a tricky thing to hold I find. Having to hold it away from the body with a good few kilos weight where the handle is in the middle makes it very awkward for me!

I certainly wouldn't worry about contamination from them being a few inches off the floor, as I pack the carrier with vet bed. I always have padding up the sides of carriers for the reason that when I carry them they can bump against the side and I don't want that :)

Two or three metres from the car into the vet's waiting room would be acceptable if the alternative was not being able to get them to the vet at all!

The carrier I have you hold it against your body, as the handles are at each end. therefore it’s very stable, much more so than I would imagine a carrier on wheels to be. Even with my bad back I managed it fine, from house to car and car to vets. Yes, even with a good packing of vet bed I’m still very cautious about contamination.

When I had the 4 Rexes (each around 3kg), I split them into 2 Catit Cabrios and carried a carrier in each hand. I found it heavy and awkward, but certainly manageable. When there were only 3, I squashed them into one carrier. Yes, they were squashed, but then I reasoned they slept like that voluntarily each day anyway. I have a 15-20 minute car journey, plus a few minutes walk, depending on where I can park (no vet's car park).

If I had 4 again, I would split them into 2 carriers. I personally would be nervous about using anything on wheels, especially having to cross roads and going up and down kerbs. My main worry would be the trustworthiness of the carrier and the fear that a bump could pop open one of the doors, damage a wheel and/or that the carrier would get stuck in a rut in the middle of the road and therefore in danger of the traffic. I do worry much more about safety when they are in a carrier though, than if they are bump-free :)

I would consider what aspects are important to you and try to find a carrier which will suit you.

I think if my bunnies had been bigger I would have split them into 2 pairs, as you say.

I agree with all your other points :thumb:

Back