• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flooring advice?

Hello, I'm just looking for a little advice about housing, I'm hoping to be fostering rabbit(s) soon (house visit next week, so exciting!!!) and I need a little advice about the flooring in the pen. The floor is painted concrete and it has quite a rough texture so I was wondering if any of you could recommend some rabbit safe blankets to break the flooring up a bit as I've seen in some other set ups? I've added a link to some pictures of my set up if that will help? https://www.flickr.com/photos/162685928@N03/

Obviously it's super bare at the moment but the pen is 2mx2m so about 21 square feet I think, they'll also have access to the whole adjoining room which has laminate flooring so I feel like maybe they should have an area in the pen that's softer and comfier on their feet? I've ordered some blanket/cushion things for on top of the wooden castle that are made by the same company but I'm not sure what other fabric to use in the pen and where to put it?

I've had a single rabbit previously but the flooring was different then and he couldn't be trusted with fabrics of any kind so I don't really have much experience with rabbit safe fabrics beyond the obvious so I'd be grateful for some tried and tested suggestions of what would be best. Thank you!!!

You could maybe use some interlocking foam mats to cover the whole area. I used them to cover the run area in my outdoor housing so that it was warmer and softer underfoot. They're cushioned and very easy to clean although you do have to be a bit careful if you have a chewer as they can nibble bits off.

They're probably cheaper on ebay or Amazon, but this kind of thing http://www.argos.co.uk/product/1587247

You could maybe use some interlocking foam mats to cover the whole area. I used them to cover the run area in my outdoor housing so that it was warmer and softer underfoot. They're cushioned and very easy to clean although you do have to be a bit careful if you have a chewer as they can nibble bits off.

They're probably cheaper on ebay or Amazon, but this kind of thing http://www.argos.co.uk/product/1587247

Myrtle would chew these to peaces, and so you have to keep replacing them. Even vinyl flooring gets chewed up!

Sometimes concrete tiles are the way forward :)

Good idea, I never thought of using these! I would be a little nervous about them chewing them though in case they eat any of it, have yours ever done it? Also do you know anything about using fleece blankets? I know people use them a lot for guinea pigs and the cushion that goes on top of the castle is fleece so I assume it's safe? I'm just extra paranoid since my last rabbit would shred anything he could get his little paws on haha.

Is just concrete okay for their feet?
Mine are on concrete and seem fine: neither are rexes, I know rexes have 'special' feet. They do have a floor with lino inside their playhouse and a carpeted shelf, but the run is all concrete with brick steps up to corrugated tubes. I find it keeps their nails down!

Is just concrete okay for their feet?

it depends on the rabbit, and the owner I suppose. rex rabbits have very thin feet, so they pick up sore hocks very easily. other rabbits seem to be fine. if they're on concrete, you'll need to keep their nails short as possible. the problem with hard flooring is that their nails can not sink into the floor like they would on grass, so all their weight is on the heel which causes sore hocks or pain in their hips.

polar fleece or anti pill fleece is the best as it doesnt pile (the little balls) or unravel as easily. there is also a great thing called vet bed, I've not used it but many speak highly of it.

Mine are on concrete and seem fine: neither are rexes, I know rexes have 'special' feet. They do have a floor with lino inside their playhouse and a carpeted shelf, but the run is all concrete with brick steps up to corrugated tubes. I find it keeps their nails down!

Thank you, you've put me at ease quite a bit, I'm not sure what breed(s) of rabbit I'll be fostering so it's something to consider if I do look after rexes but I'm glad that most seem to manage well on concrete. I need to stop stressing haha!

it depends on the rabbit, and the owner I suppose. rex rabbits have very thin feet, so they pick up sore hocks very easily. other rabbits seem to be fine. if they're on concrete, you'll need to keep their nails short as possible. the problem with hard flooring is that their nails can not sink into the floor like they would on grass, so all their weight is on the heel which causes sore hocks or pain in their hips.

polar fleece or anti pill fleece is the best as it doesnt pile (the little balls) or unravel as easily. there is also a great thing called vet bed, I've not used it but many speak highly of it.

Thank you! I'll make sure to keep their nails short and I'm definitely going to look into the fleece blankets you've mentioned, hopefully I'll get little angels that don't chew it (a girl can dream) but if not I'll try the vet bed. I remember using it with my previous rabbit for a little while when we had to move him to a different room with hard flooring but it was only a small piece so I'll have a look into buying some nice big pieces of it. Thank you again for your advice, it's been really helpful!

It depends on the breed and the rabbits hocks. I had those rubber mats and Myrtle gets kept eating them and she can chew up vinyl from the middle! So for her she needs hard tiles. Finns hocks are not the best however, so as long as you have some fleece bedding. A lot of the time they are on carpet when I am around.

My outdoor rabbits are in a wooden shed with lino on the floor and the indoornpair are on very flat carpet which has survived so far!

Back