• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Upset stomach

Alicia

Mama Doe
Angus managed to get hold of a tub of Clover, my boyfriend has assured me it wasn’t very full and he hasn’t eaten much but I’m very concerned. He’s eaten his dinner normally and has eaten a fair amount of hay but he’s having some watery green liquid come out with his normal poos (i assume diarrhoea?) please no judgement, we’re still getting used to Angus’ want to eat everything and we haven’t fully realised where he can and can’t get to so if we think it’s out of reach most of the time we’re wrong and I feel terrible. At the moment I’m keeping a close eye on him and he seems not too messy, I’ve wiped him up with kitchen roll and he’s cleaning himself but he’s obviously not right

I would ring the vet for advice if I was in your situation, they will be able to advise if he needs to go in. Sending lots of vibes xx

The vets said to keep an eye as because it was something he’s eaten it should pass through. I’ve given his back end a wash and he’s been sat in the litter tray for the past hour. I’ve cleaned the litter tray and he’s now sat in other parts of the cage cleaning himself so hopefully he’s feeling a little better. It did get really bad at one point it was just liquid :( the only food he’s got is hay and I’ll keep it that way for a little while so I don’t upset his stomach anymore. He’s not shown much interest in the hay yet but up until about an hour ago he was eating away so I’m not too worried about that yet, poor Angus. He can reach places I never knew he could get to, it’s like he sees something and figures out a route to get to it. I will be much more careful with where I put things now :(

I don’t think he’s eaten yet but he’s moving around his cage well and is sat next to his hay so hopefully he’ll eat it soon. I’ve towelled him off as best I can but he’s still a bit damp from where I washed him off so I think he’s too busy cleaning himself off to think about eating. I’m going to stay up with him to make sure he eats but his back end seems better

He seems ok, he’s not himself but he’s eating small amounts. His poo isn’t as soft as it was but it’s a light green colour, I assume maybe because of the butter? I’m still unsure whether to take him to the vets or not. I’ve only given him hay and some dried leaves that he normally likes. He’s feeling very sorry for himself :( I’ve been coming back from work to check on him. I’ve got some metacam and I’m not sure whether to give him some but I think it may upset his stomach more

Awww bless him. He certainly sounds very adventurous both in his antics & diet - it must be stressful keeping an eye on him all the time. I guess if we ate a bowl full of just butter we'd be feeling pretting ropey & obviously rabbits digestive systems aren't sent up to process fat in diet so its understanable he's not feeling great. Could you call your vet (again) to give an update & see if they'd advise metacam. Lots of vibes x

It’s so hard we really did think he couldn’t reach it but he works out ways. He jumps onto one thing and uses it to get somewhere else and he can get almost everywhere. We should have shut him in really and I think that’s what we’ll do in the future if we’re not in the room. I’ll give them another ring

I’m taking him to the vets at 2.30, he’s eating small amounts but most of the time he just sits there. I’m quite worried about him and would rather get him seen. I hate seeing him so sad looking

Thank you, I really need to do something about him getting to things, I feel terrible. He can open cupboards and has even got into the fridge before (it’s a small fridge and is quite old so perhaps replacing it would fix this) but I don’t want to shut him in his cage and a fixed pen wouldn’t work with the way our flats laid out. I’m going to have a think tonight. I’ll let you know how the vets goes

Thank you, I really need to do something about him getting to things, I feel terrible. He can open cupboards and has even got into the fridge before (it’s a small fridge and is quite old so perhaps replacing it would fix this) but I don’t want to shut him in his cage and a fixed pen wouldn’t work with the way our flats laid out. I’m going to have a think tonight. I’ll let you know how the vets goes

Gosh, he sounds like a mixture of a toddler & a monkey. I can see you have your work cut out & understand the dilemma re:keeping him safe vs keeping himin a cage

I took him to the vets today, she’s given me critical care to syringe feed every hour. He wasn’t really interested in it at first but is eating it well now. She also gave him a painkiller injection and gave me Zantac syrup to give to him three times a day. He hasn’t been to the toilet yet which is worrying me but he’s got another vet appointment first thing so I will keep a close eye on him. He seems bit brighter and I’ve been rubbing his tummy so perhaps that will help

Good news he seems a little brighter & your vet seems on the ball. I hope your silly bunny is all better soon & stick to hay & veg in future

Back