• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch advice

Hi there, I'm new to this forum but am looking for. bit of advice on buying a really decent 6ft double hutch that doesn't break the bank but will last as its good quality. We are adopting two buns who are 2 years old and a decent hutch from Dee Millen that looks really well made is going to set me back £500. I know its an investment but it's more than I can afford at present. Am I missing something? Thanks

I don’t know much about good hutch manufacturers now that Boyles and Welfare Hutch are no longer in business but £500 seems a lot to me? Have you considered a shed or children’s playhouse conversion - much more space for your money?

I think Dee Millen does make/sell some potentially good stuff but some people on pro rescue forums like this do not buy from her as her equipment business - including the hutches and Bunny Bomb About system - apparently help fund her rabbit breeding. Obviously it depends what you feel about this but just in case you didn’t know xx

Hello and welcome. A lot of people are now buying a shed or playhouse and attaching an aviary. Sheds or playhouses last a long longer than a hutch and don't need covering in the winter. They also provide more shelter from the weather and predators. I have a playhouse which I bought from B & Q 9 years ago. If you definitely want a hutch, Pets at Home do a 6' 2-tier one for £150 but will need covering in the winter. The 2 best hutch manufacturers have sadly gone out of business. You can also pick up second-hand playhouses on sites like Gumtree.

A Wendy house or shed would be a better investment and much cheaper. Get a T&G (tongue and groove) one rather than overlap, and you will need a level base (eg a few concrete slabs). Insulate if possible (sheets of polystyrene insulation and sheets of thin exterior ply from Wickes), and make (or get someone in to make) a mesh inner door using weldmesh - the main door is for security and useful in really bad weather. Mesh the windows instead of glazing. Paint all the woodwork to keep it weatherproof outside and easy to wipe down inside. Lino on the floor. Easy to clean and look after the bunnies, and they will have more room and be safer. It's also easy to attach a run to a shed.

A local shed company may make one to your requirements and put the whole thing up for you. I got a couple of wendy houses from B&Q and did it myself. You will certainly need less than £500.

The P@H hutches have improved in size, but I still have issues with the quality. The floors are thin ply and won't last. The doors on some (most?) commercially available hutches are also made of quite thin wood which is easily damaged by bunnies chewing it, and the roof is often only a patch of roofing felt which eventually lets water in round the edges. You can get a better made basic wendy house for the same price.

Just had a quick look and found this for comparison. Solid floor, the veranda can be meshed at the front for an all-weather run. 15 year rot-proof guarantee...
https://www.homebase.co.uk/forest-pressure-treated-wooden-playhouse-with-veranda-8x4ft_p359284

Back