• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Adopted new rabbit today, pretty appalled how he was kept. Advice needed please

Ouch, I'm really sorry you've had an incident with Bucky [emoji17] I know from my own experience how painful rabbit bites can be. A couple of years ago my bonded pair had a fight and I foolishly dived in to separate without protection and ended up with one swinging from one of my fingers by her teeth! Cue a fountain of blood from my finger to add to the general carnage.

I definitely think it's a good idea to discuss getting him neutered when you take him to the vets. Sounds like his hormones and the fear aggression from his previous mistreatment at his old home have created a perfect storm causing him to lash out.

Also might be worth asking the vet to have a good look at his teeth (and again when he's under GA for his neuter so they can get a really good look at his back ones). As he had such a terrible diet at his old home his teeth might not be in great condition. I'm particularly thinking of tooth spurs and or elongated teeth. So even if he appears to be eating ok it might be painful for him and pain could be another factor in his aggression.

How to deal with him in the meantime? Sadly it seems he doesn't understand yet that you're there to look after him and not harm him. I've had bunnies who are nervous and mistrustful of humans, although thankfully this hasn't manifested in aggression.

I've found the best approach is to take a step back and not interact with them directly for about a week or two. So I would give them their food but not get too close, potter around doing other things, talk (but not directly at them). During that time they're sussing me out and gradually learn that I'm not any kind of threat. It can take time to build up trust. I think neutering and a slow, patient approach are the keys to helping him with his aggression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I
7965709890b304f1153d1872f54bad1d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love his colouring :love:, sorry u got bitten though. I've only been bitten on the arm by a bun once and it throbbed for ages and I had a coat on, can't imagine bare skin :eek:

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

You went out of your way to get him good food and treats only to have him bite you quite hard for your effort. So, I can certainly understand why that would hurt your feelings as well as your wrist.
Years ago I had a bunny from the SPCA, Digger, who also bit me hard shortly after his adoption. I almost returned him to the SPCA. Digger was neutered a week before I got him and I am not sure if his hormones were still raging or he was not ready to trust people; but I decided to give him a wide berth for a couple weeks. Digger never bit me like that again. I hope you have the same outcome with your bunny once he is neutered and has a little more time.
Your bunny's former owner neglected his diet and his housing. So I am certain he did not have any positive human contact. Even as an adorable youngster (he still is very cute) he likely was treated as a toy instead of a living being.

Bucky went today for has vaccination, he weights 3.5kg. It took 2 vet nurses to hold him down while the vet looked at his teeth. From what she could see it didn’t look like his teeth were too bad at all, she couldn’t see anything obvious ( obviously he’d need to be knocked out to tell for definite. Considering his previous diet, he’s actually in great condition. I’m the first person in 5 years she’s meet, who’s rabbit actually has a mainly hay diet, yeah, that’s quite shocking isn’t it - sadly :( I had a brilliant vet about 6 years ago, she retired. The locum on today, was her ;) she neutered both my cats and all my previous sadly passed rabbits. Such a shame she only works where needed now. X

Last edited:
Bucky went today for has vaccination, he weights 3.5kg. It took 2 vet nurses to hold him down while the vet looked at his teeth. From what she could see it didn’t look like his teeth were too bad at all, she couldn’t see anything obvious ( obviously he’d need to be knocked out to tell for definite. Considering his previous diet, he’s actually in great condition. I’m the first person in 5 years she’s meet, who’s rabbit actually has a mainly hay diet, yeah, that’s quite shocking isn’t it - sadly :( I had a brilliant vet about 6 years ago, she retired. The locum on today, was her ;) she neutered both my cats and all my previous sadly passed rabbits. Such a shame she only works where needed now. X

I am glad to hear things are looking well!

How long have you had rabbits for? It sounds like you have a lot of experience :)

Hello all! I’ve had rabbits so nice 2011 but had them as a child as well. I took a break the past 2 years after my last ones passed away. Bucky had his other vaccination then a week. He’s loads better, he’s stopped growling at me and doesn’t bite me anymore. He weirdly likes to keep licking my feet whenever I walk past him x

I am glad Bucky is starting to appreciate his new family/surroundings. He probably licks your feet because that is all he can reach!
He is so lucky you are patient with him and giving him a chance to adjust to kindness.

Hello all! I’ve had rabbits so nice 2011 but had them as a child as well. I took a break the past 2 years after my last ones passed away. Bucky had his other vaccination then a week. He’s loads better, he’s stopped growling at me and doesn’t bite me anymore. He weirdly likes to keep licking my feet whenever I walk past him x

So glad to hear this :)

You've just made a wonderful new friend :)

Back