Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adopted new rabbit today, pretty appalled how he was kept. Advice needed please

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

Ouch, I'm really sorry you've had an incident with Bucky I know from my own experience how painful rabbit bites can be. A couple of years ago my bonded pair had a fight and I foolishly dived in to separate without protection and ended up with one swinging from one of my fingers by her teeth! Cue a fountain of blood from my finger to add to the general carnage.

I definitely think it's a good idea to discuss getting him neutered when you take him to the vets. Sounds like his hormones and the fear aggression from his previous mistreatment at his old home have created a perfect storm causing him to lash out.

Also might be worth asking the vet to have a good look at his teeth (and again when he's under GA for his neuter so they can get a really good look at his back ones). As he had such a terrible diet at his old home his teeth might not be in great condition. I'm particularly thinking of tooth spurs and or elongated teeth. So even if he appears to be eating ok it might be painful for him and pain could be another factor in his aggression.

How to deal with him in the meantime? Sadly it seems he doesn't understand yet that you're there to look after him and not harm him. I've had bunnies who are nervous and mistrustful of humans, although thankfully this hasn't manifested in aggression.

I've found the best approach is to take a step back and not interact with them directly for about a week or two. So I would give them their food but not get too close, potter around doing other things, talk (but not directly at them). During that time they're sussing me out and gradually learn that I'm not any kind of threat. It can take time to build up trust. I think neutering and a slow, patient approach are the keys to helping him with his aggression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

New Kit

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love his colouring , sorry u got bitten though. I've only been bitten on the arm by a bun once and it throbbed for ages and I had a coat on, can't imagine bare skin

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

You went out of your way to get him good food and treats only to have him bite you quite hard for your effort. So, I can certainly understand why that would hurt your feelings as well as your wrist.
    Years ago I had a bunny from the SPCA, Digger, who also bit me hard shortly after his adoption. I almost returned him to the SPCA. Digger was neutered a week before I got him and I am not sure if his hormones were still raging or he was not ready to trust people; but I decided to give him a wide berth for a couple weeks. Digger never bit me like that again. I hope you have the same outcome with your bunny once he is neutered and has a little more time.
    Your bunny's former owner neglected his diet and his housing. So I am certain he did not have any positive human contact. Even as an adorable youngster (he still is very cute) he likely was treated as a toy instead of a living being.

New Kit

Bucky went today for has vaccination, he weights 3.5kg. It took 2 vet nurses to hold him down while the vet looked at his teeth. From what she could see it didn’t look like his teeth were too bad at all, she couldn’t see anything obvious ( obviously he’d need to be knocked out to tell for definite. Considering his previous diet, he’s actually in great condition. I’m the first person in 5 years she’s meet, who’s rabbit actually has a mainly hay diet, yeah, that’s quite shocking isn’t it - sadly I had a brilliant vet about 6 years ago, she retired. The locum on today, was her she neutered both my cats and all my previous sadly passed rabbits. Such a shame she only works where needed now. X
    Last edited by msalisoncarroll; 05-07-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by msalisoncarroll View Post
    Bucky went today for has vaccination, he weights 3.5kg. It took 2 vet nurses to hold him down while the vet looked at his teeth. From what she could see it didn’t look like his teeth were too bad at all, she couldn’t see anything obvious ( obviously he’d need to be knocked out to tell for definite. Considering his previous diet, he’s actually in great condition. I’m the first person in 5 years she’s meet, who’s rabbit actually has a mainly hay diet, yeah, that’s quite shocking isn’t it - sadly I had a brilliant vet about 6 years ago, she retired. The locum on today, was her she neutered both my cats and all my previous sadly passed rabbits. Such a shame she only works where needed now. X

I am glad to hear things are looking well!

How long have you had rabbits for? It sounds like you have a lot of experience
    Reliable and up to date info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...RHD2-July-2018

Is Bucky settling into his wonderful new home?