• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Holding ear weirdly?

Graciee

Staff member
I know it may not look like much... But Atticus is holding his right ear funny.. He's been flicking it around a lot too, I've looked inside looks clean etc

Any ideas why he would be doing this?

de8dea90e26420eb7471a7280f572bd8.jpg
e1b487270eb1eeec474bedfaf96d875c.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Tethra holds his ears in a sloppy way like this sometimes, but then he has always done it. Plus it's not always the same ear that droops. I've always thought when you've posted pictures of your two how beautifully they both hold their ears. That being the case, I would give it a day or so and if he's still doing it, plus the flicking, I would take him to get the vet to look inside.

Tethra holds his ears in a sloppy way like this sometimes, but then he has always done it. Plus it's not always the same ear that droops. I've always thought when you've posted pictures of your two how beautifully they both hold their ears. That being the case, I would give it a day or so and if he's still doing it, plus the flicking, I would take him to get the vet to look inside.

Yea I think you're right, he wasn't doing it this morning - just when I put them out in the run, noticed his ear then the flicking I'll see how it goes, maybe have to get an appointment if it doesn't settle down by tomorrow morning - thanks :) x

I know it may not look like much... But Atticus is holding his right ear funny.. He's been flicking it around a lot too, I've looked inside looks clean etc

Any ideas why he would be doing this?

de8dea90e26420eb7471a7280f572bd8.jpg
e1b487270eb1eeec474bedfaf96d875c.jpg

I hope it's nothing at all Grace. Isn't he adorable? :love:

Bear in mind that if there's something going on deep within the ear then nothing will be visible from the outside. Have you massaged the ear base to see whether there's any lumps and bumps? I'm sure you have :)

There's bit of info here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

http://www.veterinarywebinars.com/m...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

If you've not noticed it before I should keep an eye on it. Perhaps something's irritated his ear, it may not be anything significant.

I know you'll be off to William in a flash :)
Have they got that chair in the waiting room with your name on it yet? ;)

I hope it's nothing at all Grace. Isn't he adorable? :love:

Bear in mind that if there's something going on deep within the ear then nothing will be visible from the outside. Have you massaged the ear base to see whether there's any lumps and bumps? I'm sure you have :)

There's bit of info here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

http://www.veterinarywebinars.com/m...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

If you've not noticed it before I should keep an eye on it. Perhaps something's irritated his ear, it may not be anything significant.

I know you'll be off to William in a flash :)
Have they got that chair in the waiting room with your name on it yet? ;)

Yes I gave the base a rub couldn't feel anything at all and right now he's binkying around and holding it fine again - hopefully it is nothing :) I'll keep an eye on him for now - thanks for the links I'll give them a read.

Yeaaa I should have my own chair in the waiting room [emoji38][emoji38] when I was there a lot with Clementine about her knee op and post op checks one of the vet nurses used to see me and check us in without me saying anything [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] x

Yes I gave the base a rub couldn't feel anything at all and right now he's binkying around and holding it fine again - hopefully it is nothing :) I'll keep an eye on him for now - thanks for the links I'll give them a read.

Yeaaa I should have my own chair in the waiting room [emoji38][emoji38] when I was there a lot with Clementine about her knee op and post op checks one of the vet nurses used to see me and check us in without me saying anything [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] x

Oh yes, I know that feeling very well :D

Aboleth does this sometimes, but never for a long period. I've always just assumed she has some sort of acute irritant, since it's never developed!

Aboleth does this sometimes, but never for a long period. I've always just assumed she has some sort of acute irritant, since it's never developed!
Yea his ear seems to be fine now so it's probably a similar thing :)

Back