• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ludo has relapsed U/D A miracle!

He's not only still with us he's almost recovered 😯😯

Yesterday evening he suddenly got up, groomed and ate the dandelions I offered him. He then went for two long free ranging sessions round the house, came back, watched Bake Off the Professionals and ate some hay.

I got up in the night to make sure he didn't lose the encouragement he needed and this morning he seems almost 100%. In fact I've cancelled his vet appointment (can always make another one until 7pm if needed!).

I'm wondering if the vet gave him the other painkiller... not metacam but the other one whose name I forget and forgot to mention it. I forgot to pick up the invoice listing every drug on it to check. Anyway he's had it twice before and makes him look dead and then resurrect a few hours later. I'll ring them later and ask...

It's a miracle anyway!

He's not only still with us he's almost recovered 😯😯

Yesterday evening he suddenly got up, groomed and ate the dandelions I offered him. He then went for two long free ranging sessions round the house, came back, watched Bake Off the Professionals and ate some hay.

I got up in the night to make sure he didn't lose the encouragement he needed and this morning he seems almost 100%. In fact I've cancelled his vet appointment (can always make another one until 7pm if needed!).

I'm wondering if the vet gave him the other painkiller... not metacam but the other one whose name I forget and forgot to mention it. I forgot to pick up the invoice listing every drug on it to check. Anyway he's had it twice before and makes him look dead and then resurrect a few hours later. I'll ring them later and ask...

It's a miracle anyway!

Yes I think you are right - the vet most likely gave him Vetergesic (Buprenorphine) which can make rabbits incredibly sleepy. I thought of this after reading Nickybunny's post on here and I believe she is right :)

It's exactly the effect of those meds and I have to be careful whenever a vet says they are going to give it as I know the after effects can be devastating.

It sounds like Ludo has had a lovely little rest whilst putting you through purgatory.

Love to you and the little man :love:

Wonderful news :D

And well done Nicky for thinking that this was a possibility :thumb:

Yes, I didn't see this before, Nicky may very well be right.
I'll ring the vet later when it's not Monday morning and find out what he had.

Yay !!! I'm soo happy to read this update!! You both were in my thoughts first thing. Good boy Ludo !!

My buns had to have vetergesic over the years at various times so I have seen this reaction alot where they are very sleepy but sometimes they do need the extra pain relief. If you are not familiar with using vetergesic it can be scary.

Last edited:
I'm so glad to see Ludo is doing so much better. :love:
Recently my vets administered a dollop of Buprenorphine to my dog to sedate her enough to have a sample taken, which still didn't work out as we'd planned. :roll: She was a bit of a dog zombie for the rest of the day and into the next. But I did notice a lot of her behaviours disappeared over this time period that had been worrying me; e.g. scratching at her face, rubbing her eyes on her blankets, etc. So it at least tells me she is in some degree of discomfort but we don't know what from.

Sometimes a good long rest is the best medicine! :thumb: xxxx

I just rang the vet and he didn't have vetalgesic he had metacam. So i have no idea what yesterday was about! 🤔 thanks so much for the support from everyone ☺

My heart sank when I began reading this thread; so I was overjoyed to hear your boy has made such a wonderful recovery. It is always difficult to not know exactly why something happened; and what specific thing caused him to improve. The important thing is he recovered because of your wonderful care and encouragement.

Back