• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Diarrhoea

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
Yup.... Evo again. :(

I've just got home from work and it seems that Evo has had diarrhoea during the day. His bum, which I'm going to clean as soon as he lets me is caked in it, and there was a blob on the wall (the height of my chin!). Dave said he had to clean up a few soft but round poos this morning.

He's eaten most of his food during the day, and there were normal poos in his litter tray too. He's had no change in diet - less green stuff in fact because of his other ongoing stomach problems. The only thing he had different yesterday was a tiny bit of Weetabix, which he's never had before.... the piece was the size of the tip of my finger.

Have phoned the vet and the vet nurse said not to bring him in unless he starts acting weird...he seems fine at the moment, and to cut out green food completely. Is this right? Or should I take him anyway. He has drunk some water since yesterday.

arrh mine always gets diorrhea, I just clean it out and leave her for a bit and if she's still got it take her to the vet, if not then she'll be alright. The thing is with me, I give her too many treats and carrots

Hi Laura - poor wee Evo isn't having a good time of it at the moment.

I have heard with diarrhoea that it is best to cut out veg/greens and only feed hay and water for a while until things improve.

Can't imagine it was the weetabix that done it. Does he seem lively in himself - he's not hunched in any way is he?

Has he been on antibiotics recently, or still on them - I think this can be a side effect of some antibiotics.

Hope he's feeling better soon.

Does he seem lively in himself - he's not hunched in any way is he?

Has he been on antibiotics recently, or still on them - I think this can be a side effect of some antibiotics.

His behaviour is normal for this time of day, and I don't think he's hunched. Vets are open until 7....so I'm going to see how he is at about 6.15 and take it from there.

Hasn't had any antibiotics since last Thursday.

Just another thought - has Evo been tested for Coccidiosis. It's just that I know Evo has had a few gut problems recently, and when Rob had these problems my vet tested for this and it turned out positive - apparently this can result in diarrhoea.

I think these coccidia are often present in rabbit guts/intestines, and are normally harmless, but they can come into active state at times when a bun is unwell. Rob had a course of Septrin which cleared this up - the next test showed negative for coccidia.

Might be worth a try.... will definitely suggest it to the vet if we need to go. Have put probiotics in Evo's water....so hopefully this should help too.

Poor little Evo. I would have thought the vet would want to see him for diarrhoea though. :? Probably best to keep the little chap just on hay and water for a while. :(

Poor Evo! Hope he's feeling better soon.

Bramble Leave's (without the spines!) are great for Rabbit's with the run's. I feed them to my lot every now and then. Keeps thing's ticking over nicely.

Louise

Phew! I know just what a relief normal poos are to us bunny Mum's. Hope the adorable Evo is feeling 100% soon.

Back