• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Access to Run for Babies

lilcr

New Kit
Hello!

We picked up two 8 week old Netherland Dwarf bunnies yesterday.

They seem very friendly, always coming to the front of the hutch to see us as we approach :D

We have a large run that will be attached to the hutch but I read somewhere to leave it a few weeks before giving them access to this? What is everyones thoughts on this?

Advice Appreciated.

I would certainly give them a week to settle in - will the bunnies be able to go from hutch to run themselves, safely?

Hi Yes I thinks thats a good plan, they are being vaccinated tomorrow (which I am dreading and worried it will undo the trust we have started to build but I know its necessary). Eventually yes, the plan is to put the run on a hard surface (with toys, digging pad etc) if we are out. If we are at home and able to keep a closer eye on them then the run will go on the grass. We have bought a bunny bomb about which will connect the hutch and run via a large securely attached tunnel. I am hoping eventually we can rabbit proof the entire garden (as its not enormous anyway) so when we spend time in the garden they can go out with us but thats probably a long term goal and definitely post spaying.

Ooh never heard of the bunny bomb about system so just looked at their website, looks just like the runaround system. I'll have to remember that site when I come to join my hutch and runs together and compare prices :) have you named your buns?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

This is what the vet said:

"We use a combined vaccine injected under the skin once a year to protect rabbits against Myxomatosis and Viral Harmorrhagic Disease 1 (VHD). They will also have a second vacation for VHD2 2 weeks after the combined vaccine'

Is this the right one? I looked at RWAF for a rabbit savvy vet but it is over 1 hour away and I thought the travelling would just be too stressful so have gone with a local one.

It looks great will be attaching at the weekend!

Yes they are Tilly (Black self Netherland Dwarf) and Tom (Charlie ND). They are so wonderful, absolutely besotted!

This is what the vet said:

"We use a combined vaccine injected under the skin once a year to protect rabbits against Myxomatosis and Viral Harmorrhagic Disease 1 (VHD). They will also have a second vacation for VHD2 2 weeks after the combined vaccine'

Is this the right one? I looked at RWAF for a rabbit savvy vet but it is over 1 hour away and I thought the travelling would just be too stressful so have gone with a local one.

Yes, you've got it right! Maybe look into the other Vet for their neuters.

Sounds good the vet detailing the second jab too, Tilly and Tom - awesome Ames. Looks forward to pics :D

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Back