• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lump under armpit

Lynn's Bunny

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,
I really need some advice. I don't know what to do. My rabbit, Jack, is turning 12 in August and he has been slowing down this year but still does the odd binky. He is eating well and eager for treats. But yesterday I felt a large lump under his left armpit. I don't pick him up very often so I don't know how long it has been there. I mainly pet him while he lounges.

I don't know if I should take him to the vets or not. I'm scared it will really stress him out. He hasn't been to the vets in years. He doesn't seem to be in pain as he is still eating, alert, etc. I do have metacam on hand.

But I'm scared what if its an abcess? I don't know what can be done at his old age.....

I'm so worried.

Hi everyone,
I really need some advice. I don't know what to do. My rabbit, Jack, is turning 12 in August and he has been slowing down this year but still does the odd binky. He is eating well and eager for treats. But yesterday I felt a large lump under his left armpit. I don't pick him up very often so I don't know how long it has been there. I mainly pet him while he lounges.

I don't know if I should take him to the vets or not. I'm scared it will really stress him out. He hasn't been to the vets in years. He doesn't seem to be in pain as he is still eating, alert, etc. I do have metacam on hand.

But I'm scared what if its an abcess? I don't know what can be done at his old age.....

I'm so worried.

Hello

I do think you need to get him examined by a Vet as it is impossible to know what the lump may be without doing so. Abscesses are possible, but there are other things it could be to. You will only continue to be stressed and anxious about it til you know what it actually is.I hope the Vet can help, good luck x

I agree with Jane, I would take him to the vet. I hope it turns out to be nothing serious:thumb:

Hi everyone,

I'm so worried.

Hi there :wave:

Jack is doing really well to reach such a grand old age and still do a little binky now and again. What a sweetheart!

I do understand the desire not to stress him out, but the vet is the only one who can pronounce on this. He can aspirate it (if possible) and determine what it is without any invasive treatment at this stage. He can also assess whether it's causing Jack pain and you'll be able to pick up a supply of Metacam for the future if needs be.

Are you confident in your vet?

Hi everyone,

I'm so worried.

Hi Lynn - I hope things are not as bad as you fear? How's bunny doing?

Hi, I'm sorry it has taken me so long to update. Jack saw the Vet on Monday and he aspirated the lump. It is a hematoma from an old injury. We think because he has cataracts that he may have tripped on his litter box or going up his 2 level hutch. There was no pus or anything like that. It was just really old blood. He got quite a bit of it out and said Jack's body should reabsorb the rest. He looked at it on the microscope to make sure there wasn't any pus.

He also prescribed antibiotics but I am wondering are they really necessary? Jack is becoming extremely stressed when I force the syringe into his mouth. The vet said if we just left it that it would have been reasorbed into his body, the blood I mean. But since he put a needle into it that now Jack needs the antibiotics, sigh. Even though it was sterile and he used alcohol on the area he put the needle in.

I can't find anything about rabbit hematomas on the internet. Only for their ears.

Jack being this stressed is really getting to me.

Once a course of antibiotics has been started, it is important to complete the full course, otherwise antibiotic resistance builds up in the bugs it is designed to eliminate.
I would ring your vet up and ask for advice.

Hi, I'm sorry it has taken me so long to update. Jack saw the Vet on Monday and he aspirated the lump. It is a hematoma from an old injury. We think because he has cataracts that he may have tripped on his litter box or going up his 2 level hutch. There was no pus or anything like that. It was just really old blood. He got quite a bit of it out and said Jack's body should reabsorb the rest. He looked at it on the microscope to make sure there wasn't any pus.

He also prescribed antibiotics but I am wondering are they really necessary? Jack is becoming extremely stressed when I force the syringe into his mouth. The vet said if we just left it that it would have been reasorbed into his body, the blood I mean. But since he put a needle into it that now Jack needs the antibiotics, sigh. Even though it was sterile and he used alcohol on the area he put the needle in.

I can't find anything about rabbit hematomas on the internet. Only for their ears.

Jack being this stressed is really getting to me.

I feel like you about antibiotics, but it may be the vet thinks the wound is susceptible to infection?

The only thing I have found that's effective for haematoma is an alternative treatment to help the body absorb the blood.

Rabbits often get haematoma in their testicles when castrated.

Back