Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit dies in fire :-(

Default Rabbit dies in fire :-(

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/...-blaze-184541/

I often wonder what would happen if there was a fire in my house and I wasn't there to save the rabbits
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

Very sad. A while ago, due to the layout of our bungalow I realised that even if we got out through the bedroom window the bunnies are at the other end and we wouldn't be able to get to them. I now keep a backdoor key by my bedroom window so I could go straight to them- the back door is into the utility room where they are at night. It's not something you want to think about but we should all have a fire plan.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

How sad Fires are so terrifying and tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaW View Post
    Very sad. A while ago, due to the layout of our bungalow I realised that even if we got out through the bedroom window the bunnies are at the other end and we wouldn't be able to get to them. I now keep a backdoor key by my bedroom window so I could go straight to them- the back door is into the utility room where they are at night. It's not something you want to think about but we should all have a fire plan.

that's good thinking and not really something you often think about - that you dont know where a fire would start so you need to have multiple ideas of where to escape / how to get to your pets depending on your house layout and where the fire is located. i hadn't really thought of that much myself. the smoke alone can kill so quickly (especially small pets) so every second counts.

Wise Old Thumper

I agree, for ouselves as well as any animals. Having spent much of my working life living in hotel rooms, I have always made myself aware of escape routes.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    http://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/...-blaze-184541/

I often wonder what would happen if there was a fire in my house and I wasn't there to save the rabbits
    This is my worst nightmare, I have so many fire angels. I check everything before I leave and unplug everything when I leave :,( such a worry. I especially hate leaving the air con unit on

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Bam & Charlie

I think it's also important to have enough pet carriers to hand

Bam & Charlie

Last edited by loobers25; 14-06-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Bam & Charlie

This is something that always had me worried in our old house, as there were only so many exits and where we lived had no public fire suppression of any kind. If your house went up, it burned to the ground.

Here the firehouse is right down the street, we have many more exits in case of emergency, the kids know who to grab and how to get out safely...but of course we no longer have the rabbits. My greatest concern is that the cats would panic. The dogs are easy enough to lead, but Griff and Kitty would be completely mental and either hiding or racing about.

We also have to plan for tsunamis here, which is something I've never had to deal with before. Luckily, I don't think we get many.

Quote Originally Posted by loobers25 View Post
    I think it's also important to have enough pet carriers to hand

This is my worry as I now have 13 pets (5 cats and 8 bunnies) and I only have 5 carriers. Of course I could double up but it’s still not enough for an emergency - perfectly adequate for day to day needs but not if we needed to evacuate, something to consider. Where I’d keep 9 or 10 pet carriers is an issue too. Poor bunny.

It's a really good idea to have an escape plan in place.
    Yes you're right, it's not something we think about, like making a will, but it's very essential none the less.
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!