• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit dies in fire :-(

Very sad. A while ago, due to the layout of our bungalow I realised that even if we got out through the bedroom window the bunnies are at the other end and we wouldn't be able to get to them. I now keep a backdoor key by my bedroom window so I could go straight to them- the back door is into the utility room where they are at night. It's not something you want to think about but we should all have a fire plan.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

How sad :( Fires are so terrifying and tragic.

Very sad. A while ago, due to the layout of our bungalow I realised that even if we got out through the bedroom window the bunnies are at the other end and we wouldn't be able to get to them. I now keep a backdoor key by my bedroom window so I could go straight to them- the back door is into the utility room where they are at night. It's not something you want to think about but we should all have a fire plan.

that's good thinking and not really something you often think about - that you dont know where a fire would start so you need to have multiple ideas of where to escape / how to get to your pets depending on your house layout and where the fire is located. i hadn't really thought of that much myself. the smoke alone can kill so quickly (especially small pets) so every second counts.

I agree, for ouselves as well as any animals. Having spent much of my working life living in hotel rooms, I have always made myself aware of escape routes.

I think it's also important to have enough pet carriers to hand

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

This is something that always had me worried in our old house, as there were only so many exits and where we lived had no public fire suppression of any kind. If your house went up, it burned to the ground. :(

Here the firehouse is right down the street, we have many more exits in case of emergency, the kids know who to grab and how to get out safely...but of course we no longer have the rabbits. My greatest concern is that the cats would panic. The dogs are easy enough to lead, but Griff and Kitty would be completely mental and either hiding or racing about. :(

We also have to plan for tsunamis here, which is something I've never had to deal with before. Luckily, I don't think we get many.

I think it's also important to have enough pet carriers to hand

This is my worry as I now have 13 pets (5 cats and 8 bunnies) and I only have 5 carriers. Of course I could double up but it’s still not enough for an emergency - perfectly adequate for day to day needs but not if we needed to evacuate, something to consider. Where I’d keep 9 or 10 pet carriers is an issue too. Poor bunny.

It's a really good idea to have an escape plan in place.
Yes you're right, it's not something we think about, like making a will, but it's very essential none the less.

Yes it’s really good point, I have quite a few carriers and was thinking too many, but actually I think I’ll keep them now. My bunnies are at the end of the garden in their shed so would be safe in a house fire, but what about a shed fire? But the carriers are in the shed. Hmm, one to think about. Then there’s the hamsters and cats... I’d prioritise the children obviously, think I’ll discuss it all with them, good to have a plan in place.

This is something that always had me worried in our old house, as there were only so many exits and where we lived had no public fire suppression of any kind. If your house went up, it burned to the ground. :(

Here the firehouse is right down the street, we have many more exits in case of emergency, the kids know who to grab and how to get out safely...but of course we no longer have the rabbits. My greatest concern is that the cats would panic. The dogs are easy enough to lead, but Griff and Kitty would be completely mental and either hiding or racing about. :(

We also have to plan for tsunamis here, which is something I've never had to deal with before. Luckily, I don't think we get many.

Gosh yes - I wouldn't know where to begin!

All my pets have carriers near their set ups but it would take a fair bit of time to load them all in ...

Carriers is certainly a good idea, but for house rabbits it means keeping one or more of them indoors.

I have extremely loud smoke alarms but of course that doesn't help if I'm not in the house :(

Carriers is certainly a good idea, but for house rabbits it means keeping one or more of them indoors.

I have extremely loud smoke alarms but of course that doesn't help if I'm not in the house :(
Me too even if they start getting low on battery and beeping I worry it will upset the buns as so loud

Me too even if they start getting low on battery and beeping I worry it will upset the buns as so loud

It freaks me out when I set the alarms off so the buns must find it unbearable.
Except for my little deaf bun who never moves a muscle ..

Maybe you could buy a few soft carriers as although not ideal for rabbits can squash down for storage. Just for piece of mind?

Back