• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bond Help Please :( Bristol Area

Rabbitches

Young Bun
Hi all,

I’ve not been on here in a while - needed to take a break as I was having recurrent ileus issues with Vera and it was a bit much reading other health stories and I was making my anxiety worse, so please accept my apologies for not being a good community contributor!

Vera has still been having the episodes, she has had a full work up including CT scans and nothing found (with exotic vets) so am trialling diet etc and hoping it’s down to something like moults.

She had an episode a couple weeks ago and she and Margot went in together as always. They had to go in separate cages side by side to monitor Vera’s eating and pooping but had allocated play time together. In for four nights, Vera a little quiet as expected but was back to normal after a day and a half.
When we got home o put the carrier on the floor and opened it as normal, both hopped out and went to investigate their home. Nothing had changed from when they were away in hospital. Went and got some veggies for them as normal and later sat in my room (where they live) watching TV, revising etc.
I noticed Vera was staying in one hide, so I picked her up and checked her, all fine. After a couple hours sat with them I realised Margot was chasing Vera. No biting and stopped when I clapped or when Vera jumped on the bed, Margot has never chased before, it’s usually Vera doing the chasing but never in a mean way. I kept an eye and left them together and just mainly stayed in with them but it seemed Vera was uncomfortable with Margot and the next day I had an exam and I really needed sleep and also wouldn’t have been comfortable leaving them alone while I went to my exam.
I dug out their old two story cage and made it into two separates and put them in next to each other, sniffing and nose touching distance and alternated cages and running about time. I now have a fence that I have used to divide my room in half and switch them over each night and my house mate (Vet nurse) is sitting with me when we let them have 5mins together.
They sleep next to each other against their sides of the fence and have groomed through the fence but when the fence isn’t there, they actively ignore each other, sniff, head down to groom, them it’s almost too much and there is a lunge and a grunt and a thump. No biting, minimal fur pulling.
I have for the last two weeks been sleeping in a single mattress on the floor inside my double frame (they used under my bed as their ‘warren’ and I don’t want either of them thinking they own it, plus it’s easier to swap them over without having a big bed in the way and if they had the bed they would be able to jump the fence) and I really want to get them back together. I spoke with RWAF who were fab, and said I may need to get my big girl pants on, but I just can’t, I am too invested because they are my babies and as soon as one runs or they go near each other, I panic! Which obviously doesn’t create a calm environment.
I am appealing for recommendations of behaviourists/ people who are experienced in bonding who I could pay to sit with us? To hold my hand basically. I haven’t had to do bonding as they have always been so close :( so I think I am stopping it too soon and feel I won’t be able to progress unless I have an experienced, friendly person keeping my blood pressure down.
This is really impacting me, I don’t care that I am basically sleeping in a giant hutch right now, but I will be having surgery soon which will impact my ability to get around the fences etc.

So sorry this is long- please help us!
Much love, 2 beautiful bun girls and their stressed mum!

Last edited:
I’m sorry you have been going through all this :cry: I would edit your thread title to include your area so that people can volunteer to help or recommend someone. You could ask at local rescues or boarding places in case they can help. Have you got a small neutral area you can rebond them in?

Are the 2 girls spayed? When rabbits move to anew area (coming back home in your case) they have to re-establish their hierarchy. Maybe this is why one is chasing the other. You could try re-bonding them by putting them in a small space. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. Yes both girls spayed. The neutral area thing is difficult because they have free run of my room all the time, and free run of the whole upstairs when I am in. My house mate has 3 cats and a terrier (who I don’t want to introduce to them!) and so down stairs can’t be used as is open plan and I think that lot wandering around will make it worse anyway! The only try neutral space is the bathroom, which is small, and where we have introduced them and they lay side by side together while we ‘groomed them’. I’m just worried it’s too small if you see what I mean? I want to progress and gradually increase the space but that will include the landing where they have both skipped about!
I just get so anxious over it and RWAF said that I may need to just be brave and if they chase let it happen and only interfere if proper aggression- but I can’t stop myself interfering!
I am going to call rescues today. I did find a behaviourist, registered one saying covers cats, dogs and rabbits, but reading her website she has no case studies or CPD (she has listed all courses attended) on rabbits so I don’t want to spend £200+ on someone who will treat them like small cats.
I definitely think that I am the problem :(

I do have a small spare bedroom which they have been in together but not as much as my main room, and the door shuts properly, I could sleep in there with them and leave them in together? But to be honest I would not want to leave them alone when I’m not there, I would panic too much! Would this room be neutral enough?

Have you got a cage to put them in, although the spare room sounds ok. Is the one which was ill better now? I expect it's the time at the Vets which has upset their bond.

I have a cage, one of those large two story things that I was using initially before I got the fence but I couldn’t stand them being in there as it is not enough room for more than an hour or two max, when they were in the I wouldn’t leave the house for longer than an hour. I could fence the spare room so they can have space to run about each. I have contacted a local rescue, waiting to see if they can help- hopefully they can!

Have you tried here http://littlestrescue.org/bonding-rabbits/. Bottom of the page says owners can contact them for advice or support if experiencing bonding difficulties. They're in Staple Hill, close to Downend. Perhaps for a donation they could come and supervise when you attempt to rebond.

Hope your surgery goes well for you and hello to everyone, :wave:, due to ill health and being overwhelmed most of the time I'm not here a lot myself either though it's always good popping by when I do get a chance.

Have you tried here http://littlestrescue.org/bonding-rabbits/. Bottom of the page says owners can contact them for advice or support if experiencing bonding difficulties. They're in Staple Hill, close to Downend. Perhaps for a donation they could come and supervise when you attempt to rebond.

Hope your surgery goes well for you and hello to everyone, :wave:, due to ill health and being overwhelmed most of the time I'm not here a lot myself either though it's always good popping by when I do get a chance.

Thanks for your reply. It was actually littlest rescue that I contacted! Called them and the lady said she thinks they probably can help but to email them with my problem and they will get back to me. Said I was happy to pay and I do actually have some items that I want to donate but haven’t had time to get up there, runs and such that are too small for my girls now but would be good for GPs or even smaller rabbits so fingers crossed! I wish I could get over myself about it, but I guess it’s like treating your own animals (training to be a vet), it’s not advisable as too emotionally charged!

Was the behaviourist Rosie at Petsense? I've not used her for rabbits, but she is absolutely amazing with dogs and really dislikes people masquarading as behaviourists if they have no qualifications/experience so I can't imagine she would advertise herself for rabbits if she wasn't. She's really lovely and all the rabbit info she posts is spot on.

I'm ridiculously swamped at the moment otherwise I would of come and sat with you. :(

I'd definately try the local rescues though incase they can help as they obviously have the experience.

If you can't find anyone suitable I might be able to help later next month.

Was the behaviourist Rosie at Petsense? I've not used her for rabbits, but she is absolutely amazing with dogs and really dislikes people masquarading as behaviourists if they have no qualifications/experience so I can't imagine she would advertise herself for rabbits if she wasn't. She's really lovely and all the rabbit info she posts is spot on.

I'm ridiculously swamped at the moment otherwise I would of come and sat with you. :(

I'd definately try the local rescues though incase they can help as they obviously have the experience.

If you can't find anyone suitable I might be able to help later next month.

Oh thank you! I may have to take you up on that if I am still in the same position next month! I can’t actually remember the same, maybe it was her- the name rings a bell.

Good news - one of the bonding experts from Littlest Rescue has said she is happy to help. She is away this weekend but will call me on Monday to see what we can sort out! Fingers crossed I am get my girls back together and flopping on each other again in no time- that and I can hopefully no longer sleep in a giant hutch! I don’t mind Hay or poop anywhere, but I would like to not have to clamber over fences and bedframes to go to sleep! Thanks all for your advice :) x

Back