• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very worried about stasis

Hesperus

Warren Veteran
Sorry for not posting for ages my hands are too bad to type much.

I'm really worried about Ludo. He's a stasis bun but it has been controlled for years.

Today though he wouldn't eat breakfast although he'd eaten through the night and pooed.

Took him to the vet who was awful and wouldn't listen to us about anything and seemed to think a rabbit wasn't worth spending money on.

Anyway he's had an injection of Metacam, an antacid and a gut stimulant. This was 2 hours ago and he hasn't improved. He's nibbled one tiny bit of dandelion and that's it.

As you may remember Ludo is a really easily stressed bunny and so for now we decided not to give him critical care as in the past he's improved without it and the stress made him worse. I've tried my usual techniques of pestering and offering favourites but it's not working.

How long would people recommend before taking him back? Not to the same vet though! This vet basically said it's too expensive to admit a rabbit but if be needs it he's blinking well going to have it. But for now I'd rather not stress him.

Do you think two hours is me being impatient? He always sleeps in the afternoon anyway so its hard to say... the vet is open to about 7pm.

Thank you
Suzie and Ludo

I can't give any advice, Suzie, I don't have the knowledge. But I remember you and Ludo very well, and I hope he recovers soon. Definitely see another vet, as soon as you like.

Does anyone know a rabbit savvy one, near you?

I used to chase Matthew about the living room when his gut slowed but Ludo would probably be confused and scared by that.

I'm really worried about Ludo. He's a stasis bun but it has been controlled for years.

Today though he wouldn't eat breakfast although he'd eaten through the night and pooed.

Took him to the vet who was awful and wouldn't listen to us about anything and seemed to think a rabbit wasn't worth spending money on.

Anyway he's had an injection of Metacam, an antacid and a gut stimulant. This was 2 hours ago and he hasn't improved. He's nibbled one tiny bit of dandelion and that's it.

As you may remember Ludo is a really easily stressed bunny and so for now we decided not to give him critical care as in the past he's improved without it and the stress made him worse. I've tried my usual techniques of pestering and offering favourites but it's not working.

How long would people recommend before taking him back? Not to the same vet though! This vet basically said it's too expensive to admit a rabbit but if be needs it he's blinking well going to have it. But for now I'd rather not stress him.

Do you think two hours is me being impatient? He always sleeps in the afternoon anyway so its hard to say... the vet is open to about 7pm.

Thank you
Suzie and Ludo

Hello Suzie

I am sorry to hear that Ludo is poorly. Did the Vet check his teeth and thoroughly examine him to try to ascertain what may be a primary cause of not eating. Stasis can often be a secondary symptom of another problem. You have probably read this info before

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/ac07/9915d6e64fe1afe442204871cb21c282f31b.pdf

Is he still pooing ?

What about his fluid intake ? When a Rabbit is in gut stasis fluids are essential as when the GI tract stops working any ingesta within it quickly becomes dehydrated. This makes it even more difficult to break down and pass through. Fluids given subcutaneously (or IV) can be extremely beneficial. It sounds as though the Vet has not done this, so I would suggest that you try to encourage Ludo to drink. Rabbits tend to drink more from a bowl than a bottle, some Rabbits will be tempted to drink if the water is flavoured with a splash of fruit juice. Some Rabbits like tepid water.

Has Ludo passed his normal amount of wee ? Any sign of him straining to wee or 'spot weeing' ?

Last edited:

Thank you
Suzie and Ludo

Hi Suzie and lovely to see you again but sorry to hear about Ludo!

It's now been about four hours and I wonder if there's been any change?
I would call the vet in an hour or two to ask their advice. I take it you weren't given any gut motility meds to bring home with Ludo?

If Ludo goes into the vets, I would definitely ask for IV fluids. Failing that, get a nurse to do sub-Q fluids for him. This will hydrate the gut contents. Also ask them to take his temperature and a blood glucose level reading. This is what the blood glucose reading means:

Blood glucose is measured in mmol/ml (millimoles/litre) - this table is not set in stone, but just guidelines.

Normal: 4-8 mmol/ml

2-4 mmol/ltr – needs food – rabbit is experiencing gut stasis
If less that 2 mmol/ltr, call vet

8-15 mmol/ltr Rabbit is stressed, but can stay at home
More than 15mmol/ltr, less than 20 – Call vet, start to worry…
More than 20 mmol/ltr, needs surgery.

There's some general info here, but you've probably got loads of experience of this already ..

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

I would also give Infacol, as it can do no harm and has saved many bunnies. You can give 1ml every hour for three doses, and then 1 ml three times daily until symptoms resolve.

Good luck, I am thinking of you both xx

Thank you for all the tips.
He was checked over and it's not a blockage or teeth.
You're right he does need some fluids. I've just tried fresh water and tepid water in a bowl and he won't look at it.

I've got a rabbit savvy vet ringing back soon and depending on what they say it looks like he'll have to go back. 😣

Thank you for all the tips.
He was checked over and it's not a blockage or teeth.
You're right he does need some fluids. I've just tried fresh water and tepid water in a bowl and he won't look at it.

I've got a rabbit savvy vet ringing back soon and depending on what they say it looks like he'll have to go back. 😣

Would adding a little fruit juice into the water bowl help? Some vets advocate giving pineapple juice also.

I really hope he will be OK, you must be very worried x

I used pineapple juice on Matthew - he loved it- but was told off on RU. Nonetheless, it might be worth a try.

He's being admitted at 5.10pm so I don't have time to get pineapple juice but thanks for the tip. I've never seen him like this he's lost his fight.

Thanks everyone. Sitting here in tears and feel sick. So worried he's almost 6 so he's not a baby any more.

Thanks everyone. Sitting here in tears and feel sick. So worried he's almost 6 so he's not a baby any more.

I know it's really hard not to think the worst, but he may well respond to receiving fluid therapy as well as medication. Sending lots more vibes for him xx

Thank you everyone. He's staying in and going to have fluids and painkillers and be syringe fed through the night. A better vet checked him over and found absolutely no causes either so hopefully if we see him through the symptoms he'll get through it.

Thank you everyone. He's staying in and going to have fluids and painkillers and be syringe fed through the night. A better vet checked him over and found absolutely no causes either so hopefully if we see him through the symptoms he'll get through it.

I really hope that he'll be feeling much better by tomorrow morning xx

Back