• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with itchy ears!

KirstiRobinson

Warren Scout
Hi all,
I'm just after a little advice please.
Mojo, my 8 year old boy is getting on a bit now. He went for a health check two weeks ago and all seemed well.
However, when I was stroking him last week he suddenly went mental itching his ears for about five minutes and wouldn't let me touch him. Quite often his fur tickles him when we stroke him and he itches quickly and then stops. This time it went on a while so I called the emergency vet, but by the time I'd gotten through he'd completely stopped so they said keep an eye on him.
Over the next couple of days he was itchy now and then, but not loads.
I've just come home after a few days on holiday and noticed he is still itching the ear a bit when we stroke him, but otherwise he doesn't itch it at all!!
The fur looks completely normal and I can't see any signs of mites so am wondering what it could be?
I can look at the ear but if I move it too much he pulls it down and tries to lick it. I wonder if he could have scratched it inside when he was going mental at it last week?
He's terrified of the vet and really showing quite a lot of old age symptoms so I'm reluctant to take him back to the vet unless absolutely necessarily.
Does anyone know symptoms of mites or ear infections? I'm thinking he'd probably have some more symptoms if he had either of those?!
It's worth saying he's on daily metacam for arthritis so that should help if it is sore at least!
Any help/reassurance would be great!!!
Thanks ☺

Hi there.

Is Mojo a lop eared bun? I had a lop bun who developed ear abscesses and prior to the diagnosis I'd noticed that he had been scratching his ears a lot.

Personally I would want the vet to check his ears. Both by feeling for any lumps around the base of the ears which would indicate abscesses and checking for any pus in the ear canal.

I really hope he doesn't have an ear infection but it would probably be best if he gets an examination from the vet and put on antibiotic treatment if he needs it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiya, thanks for the reply!
Yes he is a lop eared bunny! He's always itched his ears a little, but it does seem more lately. He's just been binkying round the living room so hopefully he's not in too much discomfort though.
I'll pop him to the vet for a check though. I just hate taking him as he gets so stressed!

Hi there.

Is Mojo a lop eared bun? I had a lop bun who developed ear abscesses and prior to the diagnosis I'd noticed that he had been scratching his ears a lot.

Personally I would want the vet to check his ears. Both by feeling for any lumps around the base of the ears which would indicate abscesses and checking for any pus in the ear canal.

I really hope he doesn't have an ear infection but it would probably be best if he gets an examination from the vet and put on antibiotic treatment if he needs it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with SLH's advice, a Vet check is definitely needed. Ear mites are also a possibility, with or without any infection.

Good luck x

Hi all,
I'm just after a little advice please.
Mojo, my 8 year old boy is getting on a bit now. He went for a health check two weeks ago and all seemed well.
However, when I was stroking him last week he suddenly went mental itching his ears for about five minutes and wouldn't let me touch him. Quite often his fur tickles him when we stroke him and he itches quickly and then stops. This time it went on a while so I called the emergency vet, but by the time I'd gotten through he'd completely stopped so they said keep an eye on him.
Over the next couple of days he was itchy now and then, but not loads.
I've just come home after a few days on holiday and noticed he is still itching the ear a bit when we stroke him, but otherwise he doesn't itch it at all!!
The fur looks completely normal and I can't see any signs of mites so am wondering what it could be?
I can look at the ear but if I move it too much he pulls it down and tries to lick it. I wonder if he could have scratched it inside when he was going mental at it last week?
He's terrified of the vet and really showing quite a lot of old age symptoms so I'm reluctant to take him back to the vet unless absolutely necessarily.
Does anyone know symptoms of mites or ear infections? I'm thinking he'd probably have some more symptoms if he had either of those?!
It's worth saying he's on daily metacam for arthritis so that should help if it is sore at least!
Any help/reassurance would be great!!!
Thanks ☺

How's he doing now, still scratching?

There's some info on ear mites here:

http://medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/earmite/Psoroptes.htm
(mind, some graphic images)

Also, ear infections ...

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

Lops can be prone to ear issues, and it could simply be a build up of wax in the ear canal, for which the vet can prescribe drops. However, I should get him along at some point to get it look at. If you can make a video of when he begins to scratch like crazy, then you can show it to the vet!

Back