• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abscess

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Hi
My rabbit has received several bites from another rabbit including a couple of nasty deep ones, one of which has gone to the bone, and an abscess. I've not had much experience in abscesses before (everything but) the last time being over 20 years ago when I was a less experienced rabbit owner.
Everything I have read about them seems quite negative, very difficult to treat, may need surgery, may reoccur etc. The vet said its healing well but I'm really quite worried about this and the deep bite. She's on a course of antibiotics and metacam and I've put Vaseline all round the skin to keep it moist.
The abscess is on the right side of her body.
Any positive feedback would be much appreciated!

Hi
My rabbit has received several bites from another rabbit including a couple of nasty deep ones, one of which has gone to the bone, and an abscess. I've not had much experience in abscesses before (everything but) the last time being over 20 years ago when I was a less experienced rabbit owner.
Everything I have read about them seems quite negative, very difficult to treat, may need surgery, may reoccur etc. The vet said its healing well but I'm really quite worried about this and the deep bite. She's on a course of antibiotics and metacam and I've put Vaseline all round the skin to keep it moist.
The abscess is on the right side of her body.
Any positive feedback would be much appreciated!

I am sorry to hear about your Rabbit's injury. Can you give a bit more detail about the exact location of the abscess, the treatment the Vet has given so far- eg was it thoroughly cleaned out/debrided (under sedation/GA) ? You mention that there is infection in the bone, were Xrays taken to assess the extent ?

What antibiotics is she on and was the choice of abx based on results of swabs taken from the abscess wall (to identify the exact bacteria involved and the most appropriate abx to prescribe) ?

Are you flushing out the abscess daily ? This is usually essential, the abscess is then often packed with medical grade manuka honey. I have recently had to do this for a Rescue Rabbit who sustained a severe bite wound. As you probably know, it is important that the abscess does not close over but heals from the base/inside out. If it closes over before the deep damaged tissue is healed it is likely to seal in bacteria allowing the abscess to re-establish itself. It can also result in infection tracking inwards.

You may have already come across these links

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/further-reading/abscesses-further-reading/

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/Abscess/skin_abscess.htm

http://www.rabbitadvocates.org/newsletters/Spring_13.pdf

*WARNING -graphic images on this link*
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Abscessation_rabbits.htm

Thanks Jane. Absess is on right shoulder. Its just been washed with what I assume was saline. There have been no xrays. She’s on a 2 week course of septrim. Absesess isn’t being flushed out, nothing seemed to want to come out of it last time they tried.
Thanks, I think I’ve looked at a couple of those links but will take a look.

My vet had me washing/irrigating the bites reopening them/loosening the scabs whilst there was still a lump under them with Hibiscrub (chlorhexidene) every day but they were relatively small and localised. Hope your bunny improves soon x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Thanks Julia. I have put some manuka honey on both abscess and bad bite this evening but I think she's licked it all off :( Vet said to go back again in 5-7 days, will make it 5 if not shorter!

Thanks Julia. I have put some manuka honey on both abscess and bad bite this evening but I think she's licked it all off :( Vet said to go back again in 5-7 days, will make it 5 if not shorter!

Personally I'd take Bunny back to the Vet this week as if there is an actual abscess it may need surgical intervention. Can you post a photo of the wounds ?

Sorry not the best photos
882fd96ecdb8b81cd25af01c6a70de26.jpg
bfb0d7ba411705d8ae47d162d47e58d6.jpg
602d7d4e5c8c7545b6a4688961de3be1.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Obviously it's impossible to be certain from looking at a photo, but all the wounds do look to be healing. I'd pop back to the Vet today and ask if he/she can have a look at them again and also if the one in the final image can be cleaned up a bit more, getting rid of the mucky fur that is still attached if possible. I would ask the Vet if you should flush the wounds with sterile saline daily and then plug them with manuka honey. The wound in image 1 looks to be the deepest, a puncture wound, and this type of wound is more likely to form an abscess as they often heal over the top before the underlying tissue has healed. This can seal in bacteria, as I mentioned in a previous post.

I do hope that Bunny will eventually heal xx

Obviously it's impossible to be certain from looking at a photo, but all the wounds do look to be healing. I'd pop back to the Vet today and ask if he/she can have a look at them again and also if the one in the final image can be cleaned up a bit more, getting rid of the mucky fur that is still attached if possible. I would ask the Vet if you should flush the wounds with sterile saline daily and then plug them with manuka honey. The wound in image 1 looks to be the deepest, a puncture wound, and this type of wound is more likely to form an abscess as they often heal over the top before the underlying tissue has healed. This can seal in bacteria, as I mentioned in a previous post.
I do hope that Bunny will eventually heal xx

Thanks Jane, I'll book another appointment with the vets shortly. I have been bathing wounds with salty warm water which must sting like hell as I can hear Spudsey grinding her teeth :( Image one is actually the abscess, but it doesn't look like it from the angle I have taken the photo. The final image is the deep one at the back which I smothered with manuka honey a couple of days ago which is probably why she looks mucky!

Thanks Jane, I'll book another appointment with the vets shortly. I have been bathing wounds with salty warm water which must sting like hell as I can hear Spudsey grinding her teeth :( Image one is actually the abscess, but it doesn't look like it from the angle I have taken the photo. The final image is the deep one at the back which I smothered with manuka honey a couple of days ago which is probably why she looks mucky!

I hope that the Vet will give all the wounds another good clean. With regards to when you flush/ bathe the wounds, if you time it to do about an hour AFTER a dose of Metacam that should help take the edge off the discomfort x

Good news! Spudsey has had another checkup and vet is very happy with her abscess and other wounds. All are clearing up very nicely indeed. She's got antibiotics for a few more days alongside metacam, the latter will probably be long term as vet thinks she's also got a bit of arthritis in her back legs.

Good news! Spudsey has had another checkup and vet is very happy with her abscess and other wounds. All are clearing up very nicely indeed. She's got antibiotics for a few more days alongside metacam, the latter will probably be long term as vet thinks she's also got a bit of arthritis in her back legs.

So pleased that she is healing well now and I hope that the Metacam will keep her comfortable with regards to her arthritis XX

Back