• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dubbs - not good :-(

lindac

Warren Scout
Dubbs has hardly eaten a thing overnight and his breathing is quite laboured still. He is out of his hutch, but just sits in a hunched up position in one of his favourite corners on the balcony. He is hardly moving around.

I know the vet said see how he is over the weekend but I am thinking the kindest thing for me to do is put him to sleep today. I can't bare the thought that he is in pain or suffering - and he obviosuly is. It's not like he will recover from this and his quality of life is disappearing fast.

So, I am going to observe him a bit this morning just to make sure I am making the right decision. I am absolutely heartbroken but I have to consider how Dubbs feels, not me. I need to do the right thing. He has had a good innings, 9 and a half is a good age i think...

I feel so sad and useless :-(

Oh i really feel for you,only you will know when the time is right to let dubbs go,if you feel feel that time has come you must do what is right for dubbs,It sounds like he has a very caring mummy you must not feel useless you have done your best for him,he has had a very good life getting to 9 yrs old.
i will be thinking of you today

He does sound like he has had a good life and it would be awful for you and for him to go through the pain.

I send you and Dubbs hugs from us and the gang.

thanks guys, it is *such* a hard decision to make...he just appeared slightly perky again, and then i think well maybe he will last the weekend, but then what is the point of that? it's his time...i would only be prolonging his life for my sake and thats is not fair. i must be strong.

Linda, just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you and Dubbs. There is nothing 'weak' or 'useless' about the way you are feeling - I for one would be feeling exactly the same as you if faced with this decision. You will know when the time if right, in fact Dubbs will probably let you know. He is a very special and loved boy - take care of yourself, and give Dubbs a little cuddle from me. xx

will be thinking about you lots today. give dubbs a cuddle from us. you'll make the right decision at the right time. best wishes. x

so so sorry to read about dubbs, i have just had mine for about 4 months n it really got to me what u said n made me think of how id feel, let us kno of what happens ..

:( Oh I'm so sorry to hear about Dubbs - and your definately not useless - Dubbs would smack your Bum if he could hearing you say that :!: :!: - Look how much love and care you've given this little bunster - he's been so lucky to find you.

It so hard when it comes to parting with our little pals but as already said here I think you know when its time and as with any parting its the one left behind that feel all the sadness.

Big hugs for you both at this difficult time.

I am really sorry to hear about your rabbit :( . I haven't read what illness he has (if any?) but he might not be in as much pain as you think. He might be just slowing down in his old age maybe. I feel that what ever decision you make will be the right one for your bunny. I have a rabbit of 12 and he has his off days - however if your rabbit is "ill" then go with your gut feelings.I really do hope things will work out fine for you and your rabbit.

I feel so sorry for you but its the wright thing to do, if theres no quality of life then the time has come. Youve givin him and good life and you owe it to him to give him a dignified death. Will be thinking of you val :(

Oh Linda, It is a very hard decision to make and very very heart breaking one. You will know yourself when the time is right. Alot on here have been in this position, myself included and it is not an easy. My thought are with you and please give Dubbs cuddles and kisses from me.

thanks everyone...i have been watching him closely this morning and in typical Dubbs style he has started eating a bit - not loads - just nibbling at food and hay. mind you he did just eat half a cauliflower leaf...he then came in for a little waddle around my living room. i cuddled him on the sofa for a while and then he decided he wanted to get down...and did the biggest jump i have seen him do for ages - he cleared a good 3 feet of space. currently he is out of his hutch in his favourite corner, laying down, no longer hunched up.

i am taking the rest of the day off work and wil continue to watch him, my vet is off today but the nurse is going to try and locate her and get her to call me to discuss things. maybe the shock of the trip to the vets last night made him a bit quieter than he normally is? maybe the new meds have made him quieter?

like you say...i will know when the time is right...it will be soon that is for sure...maybe its not today though?

It is a terrible emotional roller coaster that you and Dubbs are on at the moment. It is the same truamatic turmoil that a lot people face with an illness, whether that be human or animal.

My cat whom I had pts jan this year was up and down with different medications, this is where I had doubts with good and bad days with him, it is very hard. I think you need to see how he takes to his new medication. I personally am terrible with any pill, sometimes I throw them up, some make me aquire a rash :oops: I have never completed any course of antibiotic without it giving me another ailment :lol: The other week I was given stronger painkillers and they just knocked me out for a week, I have never slept for so long in all my life.

Take care Lindac and Dubbs

hi denny, sorry about your cat :-( i have two of those too...am dreading it when they start to get ill! they are almost 9 so hopefully a few more years for them yet...they are indoor cats so no dangers from outside atleast.

just spoken to the nurse at the vets and she reckons the new Vetergesic medicine that Dubbs is on might be causing him to seem drowsy and sleepy. he just ate another cauliflower leaf anyway.

emotional rollercoaster is right! i think i'm on the The Big One!!!!

lindac said:
hi denny, sorry about your cat :-( i have two of those too...am dreading it when they start to get ill! they are almost 9 so hopefully a few more years for them yet...they are indoor cats so no dangers from outside atleast.

You have got along way to go with your cats hopefully. I still have Monty's (my cat I lost) partner, he is 18 1/2 years old at christmas :D

Another cauliflower leaf consumed, must be a good sign :D

you've been the best for Dubbs and I can only imagine the pain you're feeling. Sending loads of hugs and nose twitches xx

Linda, I'm sorry to hear that Dubbs isn't responding too well to the new treatment.
It's never easy having to make the right decision to do what's best for your pet, I've been faced with it before and it really makes you feel physically sick. I know you have Dubbs's best interests at heart, I can see that from the words you type. You have given him a wonderful life and it proves it by his age, it's just a terrible shame that he has cancer.
I'm sure he would live to a ripe old age if it wasn't for this.
Take care and be strong for Dubbs.
Bless you both.

Poor Linda. They steal your heart and then they break it.

You will know what to do when the time comes. It will be terrible but he will let you know.
I wish you the most peaceful weekend possible under the circumstances.
Give Dubbs a nose rub for me. I have a soft spot for the dutchies.

Back