Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First time rabbit owner

New Kit

Thank you all for your very helpful words.

Although my plan was to get them neutered, I had not realised I'd need to do this before introducing them.

So now I have to work out how to keep them apart. I woke up in the middle of the night a few nights ago and realised that the existing hutch my husband built (that I'd already ordered/paid for new mesh, new hinges, bolts etc) won't work after all as they will not be able to have contact through a mesh as they are entirely separate with the central "staircase". Plus, that overall height is split into 3 so each compartment is not tall enough.

So I bought this..
    http://www.therabbithutchcompany.co....SABEgIyGPD_BwE

I hope no-one is going to tell me it's not big enough...

I now have to find a way to split it inside (maybe fixing some of the mesh I bought!).

The vet said they wouldn't recommend neutering male until 16 weeks. Do you agree?

I wondered if I could get him neutered early and start the introductions? Then get the little girl neutered. It is apparently a tougher operation for her.

I am so grateful I found this Forum.
    Jo
    x

Quote Originally Posted by Josie21 View Post
    Thank you all for your very helpful words.

Although my plan was to get them neutered, I had not realised I'd need to do this before introducing them.

So now I have to work out how to keep them apart. I woke up in the middle of the night a few nights ago and realised that the existing hutch my husband built (that I'd already ordered/paid for new mesh, new hinges, bolts etc) won't work after all as they will not be able to have contact through a mesh as they are entirely separate with the central "staircase". Plus, that overall height is split into 3 so each compartment is not tall enough.

So I bought this..
    http://www.therabbithutchcompany.co....SABEgIyGPD_BwE

I hope no-one is going to tell me it's not big enough...

I now have to find a way to split it inside (maybe fixing some of the mesh I bought!).

The vet said they wouldn't recommend neutering male until 16 weeks. Do you agree?

I wondered if I could get him neutered early and start the introductions? Then get the little girl neutered. It is apparently a tougher operation for her.

I am so grateful I found this Forum.
    Jo
    x
    Hi

Hutch is big enough just for living space but it still needs to have a 6ft x 8ft run attached unfortunately

I wouldn't get a male rabbit neutered until he is a visible male... Plums descended otherwise op is more involved. And females my vet suggests 6months old x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

A rabbit savvy vet will neuter male buns from around 12 weeks, as long as their testicles are visible - itís usually the less confident vets who say later. Iíve had a male neutered at 12 weeks and he bounced back amazingly well, my vet said they often recover better at that age.

Heíll also do girls from 4 months though itís a harder operation due to the position of the reproductive organs at that age and it gets easier from around 6 months.

The RWAF has a list of rabbit savvy vets, Iíd always recommend registering with one of them if you can as rabbits are complicated little creatures.

New Kit

Yes, we are still adding on the run.

New Kit

Ok, so little boy at 16wks and leave the girl until 6 months.
    Thank you. xx

New Kit

Honestly, this is becoming a nightmare. The £250 hutch arrived damaged and it is so flimsy. Total waste of money so sending it back.
    My husband is now trying to get a shed sorted! ������

You really are better off with a shed and run combo - I didn’t like to criticise the hutch you linked to earlier as you are having a such mare but that type don’t really have a good reputation and people seem to get rid of them pretty sharpish.

There’s lots of ideas on this site:
    http://www.campnibble.com/housinggallery.html

Just to comment from experience. Look for quality and the biggest size you can afford first and foremost and just spend the money because when u do you won't be buying another for a very vet long time.

I've mentioned it before on here but I used to buy hutches like both you have linked on here and had to then replace the following year after the good old English weather. Years ago I spent around 450 on a lovely hutch. It's been handmade the wood is thick, the windows have shutters to keep the wind and rain out and it's solid wood. It's been about 4 years now and I've only had to restrain it a couple of times to protect the wood everything else is just as when I bought it.

I've since purchased a large run which I'll be combining when my two are bonded but yeah. Look into sheds, playhouses, aviaries, kennels for ideas and take a look around some of them sort of 'bespoke' websites. As they're handmade as well you could add and omit bits you do and don't want and price wise you'll be surprised that they are not too far from what your currently spending on the type that you've already sent back

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

New Kit

All great advice here. Thanks so much.
    You're so right about the hutch. If we'd had more time, I'm sure we would have reached this conclusion without ordering and cancelling or returning 2 overpriced ones
    So we have a shed! Hubby is still building it and we collect bunnies this afternoon. He has the materials to drop straight onto making run immediately.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

New Kit

He's making door into stable door which will double up as window.
    He's putting mesh down centre for next 2 months until they're ready for neutering. And then they can be together.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk