Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tethra and his quirky wife

Wise Old Thumper

Default Tethra and his quirky wife

I thought I'd give an update on how these two are getting on. Tui has recovered very well from her spay and all the odd hormonal induced behaviours seem to have stopped. Tethra is relieved to report that his bottom no longer gets investigated several times a day He is totally besotted with Tui and seems to love grooming her head, all over. She rarely reciprocates, but often runs up to him and gives him a nudge. They flop a lot together, but also run about a lot together, which must be beneficial to Tethra. Tethra still gives her a nip when it's pellet time though, as it's obviously her fault that the human is slow in serving them The fact is that Tui recognises that pellets are about to be served way before Tethra does

Tui is a quite exceptional creature in so many ways and some of her behaviours I have not observed before in any rabbit. I have listed some of them for you.

When she sleeps, she lays down on her tummy and puts her ears right back on to her back. She also rests her whole head on her back with her eyes pointing upwards. I've tried, without success, to get a picture, but it makes quite a weird sight. It certainly doesn't give the impression that such a position would be comfortable, but she makes it look so.

She takes grooming her own body very seriously. In particular the part, which gets singled out for special attention is her front upper paws, which she attends to several times a day. She will sit for ages licking the fur and the action reminds me of someone painting their nails

She likes to sleep on the concrete slabs on the shelf in the run. In the middle of the shelf is a large, lumpy log, sited so that they have to jump over it and thereby get some exercise. Tui will sleep right up close to the log on one side or the other, but she will first of all rub her head over that side of the log, seemingly to make sure it's comfortable for her head, but she is not scent-marking. She will sometimes also lick the concrete before sleeping on it. It's almost like we would smooth out sheets and pillows in our bed

Importantly, Tui is such a beneficial addition to Tethra's life. He has become a much more interesting rabbit and has lost all of his staid batchelor ways. He is more relaxed, appears happier and gets much more exercise.

I am so pleased that we have her
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

They sound like they are very happy with their life together she does sound totally adorable

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

That's really interesting omi. I'm really jelous. I really am! I wonder if they have all gone to homes now.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Bam & Charlie

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by loobers25 View Post
    That's really interesting omi. I'm really jelous. I really am! I wonder if they have all gone to homes now.

They haven't There are still a couple of Tui's siblings remaining in rescue
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    They haven't There are still a couple of Tui's siblings remaining in rescue
    Just having a little ponder. I wonder if a Toby / young doe would work. I just don't know what to do anymore

Bam & Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    I thought I'd give an update on how these two are getting on. Tui has recovered very well from her spay and all the odd hormonal induced behaviours seem to have stopped. Tethra is relieved to report that his bottom no longer gets investigated several times a day He is totally besotted with Tui and seems to love grooming her head, all over. She rarely reciprocates, but often runs up to him and gives him a nudge. They flop a lot together, but also run about a lot together, which must be beneficial to Tethra. Tethra still gives her a nip when it's pellet time though, as it's obviously her fault that the human is slow in serving them The fact is that Tui recognises that pellets are about to be served way before Tethra does

Tui is a quite exceptional creature in so many ways and some of her behaviours I have not observed before in any rabbit. I have listed some of them for you.

When she sleeps, she lays down on her tummy and puts her ears right back on to her back. She also rests her whole head on her back with her eyes pointing upwards. I've tried, without success, to get a picture, but it makes quite a weird sight. It certainly doesn't give the impression that such a position would be comfortable, but she makes it look so.

She takes grooming her own body very seriously. In particular the part, which gets singled out for special attention is her front upper paws, which she attends to several times a day. She will sit for ages licking the fur and the action reminds me of someone painting their nails

She likes to sleep on the concrete slabs on the shelf in the run. In the middle of the shelf is a large, lumpy log, sited so that they have to jump over it and thereby get some exercise. Tui will sleep right up close to the log on one side or the other, but she will first of all rub her head over that side of the log, seemingly to make sure it's comfortable for her head, but she is not scent-marking. She will sometimes also lick the concrete before sleeping on it. It's almost like we would smooth out sheets and pillows in our bed

Importantly, Tui is such a beneficial addition to Tethra's life. He has become a much more interesting rabbit and has lost all of his staid batchelor ways. He is more relaxed, appears happier and gets much more exercise.

I am so pleased that we have her
    Elsa does exactly the same. I have a feeling that it is a neurological 'quirk'.

It's lovely to hear how well she is doing and that Tethra is so happy too

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF)- The UK'S biggest and best organisation for Rabbit lovers

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Rabbit Health and Diseases, a list of useful online information

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

Myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2- VACCINATION IS ESSENTIAL

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...60#post7041560

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Elsa does exactly the same. I have a feeling that it is a neurological 'quirk'.

It's lovely to hear how well she is doing and that Tethra is so happy too
    Gosh, isn't that interesting. I've never seen a rabbit do it before

I can't believe some of these bunnies are still in rescue! Lovely to hear about the positive impact Tui has had Omi. I'm trying to picture her sleeping position - it sounds similar to how ducks nap?

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I can't believe some of these bunnies are still in rescue! Lovely to hear about the positive impact Tui has had Omi. I'm trying to picture her sleeping position - it sounds similar to how ducks nap?

Yes similar although they also put their heads under their wings.

Try to imagine lying flat out on your tummy, then somehow bend your head up and back far enough so that you can rest the back of your head on your back and you're looking ujp at the ceiling. She must have a very flexible neck I will keep trying with the camera.

She sounds like such a sweetie and that sleeping position sounds interesting haha hopefully you or Jane will be able to get a picture one day, I'd love to see it x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk