• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tethra and his quirky wife

Omi

Wise Old Thumper
I thought I'd give an update on how these two are getting on. Tui has recovered very well from her spay and all the odd hormonal induced behaviours seem to have stopped. Tethra is relieved to report that his bottom no longer gets investigated several times a day :lol: He is totally besotted with Tui and seems to love grooming her head, all over. She rarely reciprocates, but often runs up to him and gives him a nudge. They flop a lot together, but also run about a lot together, which must be beneficial to Tethra. Tethra still gives her a nip when it's pellet time though, as it's obviously her fault that the human is slow in serving them :) The fact is that Tui recognises that pellets are about to be served way before Tethra does :lol:

Tui is a quite exceptional creature in so many ways and some of her behaviours I have not observed before in any rabbit. I have listed some of them for you.

When she sleeps, she lays down on her tummy and puts her ears right back on to her back. She also rests her whole head on her back with her eyes pointing upwards. I've tried, without success, to get a picture, but it makes quite a weird sight. It certainly doesn't give the impression that such a position would be comfortable, but she makes it look so.

She takes grooming her own body very seriously. In particular the part, which gets singled out for special attention is her front upper paws, which she attends to several times a day. She will sit for ages licking the fur and the action reminds me of someone painting their nails :)

She likes to sleep on the concrete slabs on the shelf in the run. In the middle of the shelf is a large, lumpy log, sited so that they have to jump over it and thereby get some exercise. Tui will sleep right up close to the log on one side or the other, but she will first of all rub her head over that side of the log, seemingly to make sure it's comfortable for her head, but she is not scent-marking. She will sometimes also lick the concrete before sleeping on it. It's almost like we would smooth out sheets and pillows in our bed :lol:

Importantly, Tui is such a beneficial addition to Tethra's life. He has become a much more interesting rabbit and has lost all of his staid batchelor ways. He is more relaxed, appears happier and gets much more exercise.

I am so pleased that we have her :love:

They sound like they are very happy with their life together:love: she does sound totally adorable:love:

That's really interesting omi. I'm really jelous. I really am! I wonder if they have all gone to homes now.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

That's really interesting omi. I'm really jelous. I really am! I wonder if they have all gone to homes now.

They haven't :) There are still a couple of Tui's siblings remaining in rescue :thumb:

They haven't :) There are still a couple of Tui's siblings remaining in rescue :thumb:
Just having a little ponder. I wonder if a Toby / young doe would work. I just don't know what to do anymore

I thought I'd give an update on how these two are getting on. Tui has recovered very well from her spay and all the odd hormonal induced behaviours seem to have stopped. Tethra is relieved to report that his bottom no longer gets investigated several times a day :lol: He is totally besotted with Tui and seems to love grooming her head, all over. She rarely reciprocates, but often runs up to him and gives him a nudge. They flop a lot together, but also run about a lot together, which must be beneficial to Tethra. Tethra still gives her a nip when it's pellet time though, as it's obviously her fault that the human is slow in serving them :) The fact is that Tui recognises that pellets are about to be served way before Tethra does :lol:

Tui is a quite exceptional creature in so many ways and some of her behaviours I have not observed before in any rabbit. I have listed some of them for you.

When she sleeps, she lays down on her tummy and puts her ears right back on to her back. She also rests her whole head on her back with her eyes pointing upwards. I've tried, without success, to get a picture, but it makes quite a weird sight. It certainly doesn't give the impression that such a position would be comfortable, but she makes it look so.

She takes grooming her own body very seriously. In particular the part, which gets singled out for special attention is her front upper paws, which she attends to several times a day. She will sit for ages licking the fur and the action reminds me of someone painting their nails :)

She likes to sleep on the concrete slabs on the shelf in the run. In the middle of the shelf is a large, lumpy log, sited so that they have to jump over it and thereby get some exercise. Tui will sleep right up close to the log on one side or the other, but she will first of all rub her head over that side of the log, seemingly to make sure it's comfortable for her head, but she is not scent-marking. She will sometimes also lick the concrete before sleeping on it. It's almost like we would smooth out sheets and pillows in our bed :lol:

Importantly, Tui is such a beneficial addition to Tethra's life. He has become a much more interesting rabbit and has lost all of his staid batchelor ways. He is more relaxed, appears happier and gets much more exercise.

I am so pleased that we have her :love:

Elsa does exactly the same. I have a feeling that it is a neurological 'quirk'.

It's lovely to hear how well she is doing and that Tethra is so happy too :love:

Elsa does exactly the same. I have a feeling that it is a neurological 'quirk'.

It's lovely to hear how well she is doing and that Tethra is so happy too :love:

Gosh, isn't that interesting. I've never seen a rabbit do it before :)

I can't believe some of these bunnies are still in rescue! Lovely to hear about the positive impact Tui has had Omi. I'm trying to picture her sleeping position - it sounds similar to how ducks nap?

I can't believe some of these bunnies are still in rescue! Lovely to hear about the positive impact Tui has had Omi. I'm trying to picture her sleeping position - it sounds similar to how ducks nap?

Yes similar although they also put their heads under their wings.

Try to imagine lying flat out on your tummy, then somehow bend your head up and back far enough so that you can rest the back of your head on your back and you're looking ujp at the ceiling. She must have a very flexible neck :lol: I will keep trying with the camera.

She sounds like such a sweetie [emoji7] and that sleeping position sounds interesting haha hopefully you or Jane will be able to get a picture one day, I'd love to see it :D x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I'm so pleased to read how well Tui and Tethra are getting on. It really is uplifting when you see a bunny get a new lease of life from having a new friend ❤️❤️❤️

I'm also intrigued to see a photo of Tui's sleeping position. At the moment I'm getting the head spinning scene from the Exorcist in my head!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the position like my ornament omi?
e3f7f8cef1f2b2ff34bbadcec56c954a.jpg

Is the position like my ornament omi?
e3f7f8cef1f2b2ff34bbadcec56c954a.jpg

No :lol: Although your ornament is almost Tui-coloured :lol: It's not that she puts her head to the side, but she flops it straight back. I've been ready with the camera most of today, but of course she hasn't done it. It's not every time she sleeps.

No [emoji38] Although your ornament is almost Tui-coloured [emoji38] It's not that she puts her head to the side, but she flops it straight back. I've been ready with the camera most of today, but of course she hasn't done it. It's not every time she sleeps.
:D I thought I had it nailed. I can't imagine what you mean! Tui needs to provide us a picture

Back