Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I be concerned...

Default Should I be concerned...

This is the first time I have seen Dennis pee on the floor and was suprised by the colour. He's never been in that pen before so thought it might be a territorial thing. He gets more "treats" than Toby as he is older and more fussy. For example yesterday I gave him two pieces or dehydrated carrot with his forage. My mum says not to worry but I thought I would check. Can carrot change the colour? It's the only colourful thing he's had. It's not sludgy when wiped up its just liquid. Thoughts?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Bam & Charlie

Should note I have never seen the colour of his pee before as I use hay which us hard to tell the colour before

Bam & Charlie

Warren Veteran

I'd say thats normal - it could be forage rather than carrots, bright orange & red wee is normal here

Wise Old Thumper

I would not be at all concerned by this. Plant pigments will cause the urine to be various colours from quite pale to the dark orangey-brown that you have got there. Dandelions will produce this colour, but also other forage items will do the same.

The reason he's produced it on the floor is, as you say, probably territorial.

ETA I've just re-read your post. Dennis is more fussy than Toby But Toby doesn't eat anything fresh
    Last edited by Omi; 10-06-2018 at 09:27 PM.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Mama Doe

It may well be just carrot colour wee. See what it is like tomorrow without giving him any more carrot. Some vegetables and greens do pass colour through. Dandelions often cause urine to become much darker. I wouldn't be worried.

Quote Originally Posted by loobers25 View Post
    This is the first time I have seen Dennis pee on the floor and was suprised by the colour. He's never been in that pen before so thought it might be a territorial thing. He gets more "treats" than Toby as he is older and more fussy. For example yesterday I gave him two pieces or dehydrated carrot with his forage. My mum says not to worry but I thought I would check. Can carrot change the colour? It's the only colourful thing he's had. It's not sludgy when wiped up its just liquid. Thoughts?

Hi Loobers - it is fine I am sure!
    I wouldn't worry.

Plant pigments can have this effect on urine.

https://rabbit.org/journal/3-1/red-urine.html
    Please vaccinate your rabbits for RHD2 as well ..
    Two more house rabbit deaths just confirmed

Reliable, up to date advice on RHD2: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...40#post7012340

Thanks everyone. I thought I would check just in case but unless they pee on the floor it's really hard to see in the hay what colour it is.

And your right omi no bun Is fussier than Toby. Lawdy.

Would you believe me if I said I foraged some plaintan, dried it out and offered it to Toby. Toby turnt his nose up. So husband for a laugh got some hay expert plaintan and rubbed it all over the forage piece of plaintan. I laughed but then Toby ate it. My lawdy what is up with this bun

Bam & Charlie

Thanks everyone. I thought I would check just in case but unless they pee on the floor it's really hard to see in the hay what colour it is.

And your right omi no bun Is fussier than Toby. Lawdy.

Would you believe me if I said I foraged some plaintan, dried it out and offered it to Toby. Toby turnt his nose up. So husband for a laugh got some hay expert plaintan and rubbed it all over the forage piece of plaintan. I laughed but then Toby ate it. My lawdy what is up with this bun

My goodness what a boy!

You'll be asking the manufacturer how they dry it soon, and copying their methods to get it 'just right' for Toby
    Please vaccinate your rabbits for RHD2 as well ..
    Two more house rabbit deaths just confirmed

Reliable, up to date advice on RHD2: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...40#post7012340

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    My goodness what a boy!

You'll be asking the manufacturer how they dry it soon, and copying their methods to get it 'just right' for Toby
    MM i really am going to have to ask their secret! I always wondered where they get all their forage and how they dry it.

Bam & Charlie

Would you believe me if I said I foraged some plaintan, dried it out and offered it to Toby. Toby turnt his nose up. So husband for a laugh got some hay expert plaintan and rubbed it all over the forage piece of plaintan. I laughed but then Toby ate it.
    I believe it I've got a few fussy ones myself, it's amazing how they know what they want
    I'd like to know how they can take a batch of hay and sift the greener pieces and browner pieces so that when you go back a few hours later the green strands are gone and the brown strands are perfectly sorted to be discarded

Also I see you fell for Asda's 'we've put a bunny on something so you must buy it' strategy We've got the same plates
    I'm sure it's a conspiracy, Asda are doing so many bunny things lately.. I'm sure it's just because they know I have to buy it..

Just to add to what everyone else has said I've seen this colour plenty of times, it's always turned out to be pigment
    The pink/red cornflowers that they love so much seem to be the scariest
    Last edited by ~ILoveMyBunny~; 11-06-2018 at 03:26 PM.