Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Should I be concerned...

  1. #1
    Mama Doe loobers25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,926

    Default Should I be concerned...

    This is the first time I have seen Dennis pee on the floor and was suprised by the colour. He's never been in that pen before so thought it might be a territorial thing. He gets more "treats" than Toby as he is older and more fussy. For example yesterday I gave him two pieces or dehydrated carrot with his forage. My mum says not to worry but I thought I would check. Can carrot change the colour? It's the only colourful thing he's had. It's not sludgy when wiped up its just liquid. Thoughts?

    Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

    Bam & Charlie

  2. #2
    Mama Doe loobers25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,926

    Default

    Should note I have never seen the colour of his pee before as I use hay which us hard to tell the colour before

    Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

    Bam & Charlie

  3. #3
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    9,525

    Default

    I'd say thats normal - it could be forage rather than carrots, bright orange & red wee is normal here

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    12,133

    Default

    I would not be at all concerned by this. Plant pigments will cause the urine to be various colours from quite pale to the dark orangey-brown that you have got there. Dandelions will produce this colour, but also other forage items will do the same.

    The reason he's produced it on the floor is, as you say, probably territorial.

    ETA I've just re-read your post. Dennis is more fussy than Toby But Toby doesn't eat anything fresh
    Last edited by Omi; 10-06-2018 at 09:27 PM.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

  5. #5
    Mama Doe
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    2,853

    Default

    It may well be just carrot colour wee. See what it is like tomorrow without giving him any more carrot. Some vegetables and greens do pass colour through. Dandelions often cause urine to become much darker. I wouldn't be worried.

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    36,973

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loobers25 View Post
    This is the first time I have seen Dennis pee on the floor and was suprised by the colour. He's never been in that pen before so thought it might be a territorial thing. He gets more "treats" than Toby as he is older and more fussy. For example yesterday I gave him two pieces or dehydrated carrot with his forage. My mum says not to worry but I thought I would check. Can carrot change the colour? It's the only colourful thing he's had. It's not sludgy when wiped up its just liquid. Thoughts?

    Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk


    Hi Loobers - it is fine I am sure!
    I wouldn't worry.

    Plant pigments can have this effect on urine.

    https://rabbit.org/journal/3-1/red-urine.html
    Please vaccinate your rabbits for RHD2 as well ..
    Two more house rabbit deaths just confirmed


    Reliable, up to date advice on RHD2: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...40#post7012340

  7. #7
    Mama Doe loobers25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,926

    Default

    Thanks everyone. I thought I would check just in case but unless they pee on the floor it's really hard to see in the hay what colour it is.

    And your right omi no bun Is fussier than Toby. Lawdy.

    Would you believe me if I said I foraged some plaintan, dried it out and offered it to Toby. Toby turnt his nose up. So husband for a laugh got some hay expert plaintan and rubbed it all over the forage piece of plaintan. I laughed but then Toby ate it. My lawdy what is up with this bun

    Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

    Bam & Charlie

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    36,973

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loobers25 View Post
    Thanks everyone. I thought I would check just in case but unless they pee on the floor it's really hard to see in the hay what colour it is.

    And your right omi no bun Is fussier than Toby. Lawdy.

    Would you believe me if I said I foraged some plaintan, dried it out and offered it to Toby. Toby turnt his nose up. So husband for a laugh got some hay expert plaintan and rubbed it all over the forage piece of plaintan. I laughed but then Toby ate it. My lawdy what is up with this bun

    Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

    My goodness what a boy!

    You'll be asking the manufacturer how they dry it soon, and copying their methods to get it 'just right' for Toby
    Please vaccinate your rabbits for RHD2 as well ..
    Two more house rabbit deaths just confirmed


    Reliable, up to date advice on RHD2: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...40#post7012340

  9. #9
    Mama Doe loobers25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    My goodness what a boy!

    You'll be asking the manufacturer how they dry it soon, and copying their methods to get it 'just right' for Toby
    MM i really am going to have to ask their secret! I always wondered where they get all their forage and how they dry it.

    Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

    Bam & Charlie

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loobers25 View Post
    Would you believe me if I said I foraged some plaintan, dried it out and offered it to Toby. Toby turnt his nose up. So husband for a laugh got some hay expert plaintan and rubbed it all over the forage piece of plaintan. I laughed but then Toby ate it.
    I believe it I've got a few fussy ones myself, it's amazing how they know what they want
    I'd like to know how they can take a batch of hay and sift the greener pieces and browner pieces so that when you go back a few hours later the green strands are gone and the brown strands are perfectly sorted to be discarded

    Also I see you fell for Asda's 'we've put a bunny on something so you must buy it' strategy We've got the same plates
    I'm sure it's a conspiracy, Asda are doing so many bunny things lately.. I'm sure it's just because they know I have to buy it..

    Just to add to what everyone else has said I've seen this colour plenty of times, it's always turned out to be pigment
    The pink/red cornflowers that they love so much seem to be the scariest
    Last edited by ~ILoveMyBunny~; 11-06-2018 at 03:26 PM.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •