Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plumpkin - Dewlap?

Warren Scout

Default Plumpkin - Dewlap?

Sorry for yet another Plumpkin post everyone. When will it end?!

I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that she has a flabby sort of pouch of skin under her neck, which seems to be getting bigger. It was definitely never there before.

I looked online and have heard of a 'dewlap' that unspayed does get? She has had a litter before and isn't spayed yet because I'm waiting until she's in better health.

I can share a picture if that helps. I'm a worried bun mum

yeah, its a dewlap a lot of females even if they're spayed have one, but usually smaller. Luna is spayed and still has a dewlap, or double chin as I call it they use their dewlap to pluck fur from for a nest when they have babies.

after spaying it will likely become a lot smaller, but I have seen some bunnies with huge dewlaps even after being spayed. but while she is unspayed, it will be a lot larger. for some, it can fluctuate.. my friend who breeds rabbits finds after a litter the dewlap becomes smaller, and after a few months they become larger again. time of the year can play into it too.

its nothing of concern, you do need to keep an eye as if it gets too huge it can cause issues for being able to clean themselves..but usually that comes down to being overweight.
    Snoopy : 14.02.15 - 12.05.17 [mini rex]👑Luna : 14.02.15 [rex]👑Orion : 21.10.17 [mini rex]

Quote Originally Posted by Beapig View Post

I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that she has a flabby sort of pouch of skin under her neck, which seems to be getting bigger. It was definitely never there before.

I looked online and have heard of a 'dewlap' that unspayed does get? She has had a litter before and isn't spayed yet because I'm waiting until she's in better health.

It may be her dewlap, a photo would be helpful xx

A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Practice in SW London who always give care and compassion to both their animal clients and their human clients too.
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

Picture would be helpful but sounds like a dewlap haha my female bun has a huge one even spayed females can get them, Clementine was spayed late due to other complications too, and had hers way before her spay x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Yep Treacle has one, and she is spayed, I call it her built in pillow to rest her chin on
    [IMG][/IMG]

Sounds like a dewlap. Has she lost or gained any weight recently?

Often dewlaps are more prominent on unspayed females than spayed
    Please vaccinate your rabbits for RHD2 as well ..
    Two more house rabbit deaths just confirmed

Reliable, up to date advice on RHD2: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...40#post7012340

Warren Scout

20180610_201925 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

20180610_201929 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

I think that she has probably put on weight since her last op about a month ago, MM. Hopefully these pictures help! It seems to sort of hang to one side.

it looks like a dewlap to me Luna's never sat in the middle, always to the side a bit.
    Snoopy : 14.02.15 - 12.05.17 [mini rex]👑Luna : 14.02.15 [rex]👑Orion : 21.10.17 [mini rex]

20180610_201925 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

20180610_201929 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

I think that she has probably put on weight since her last op about a month ago, MM. Hopefully these pictures help! It seems to sort of hang to one side.

Isn't she gorgeous?

That's a sweet little dewlap. I'm really pleased you posted those photos as I love looking at her

Perhaps if she's put a bit of weight on the dewlap is more prominent
    Please vaccinate your rabbits for RHD2 as well ..
    Two more house rabbit deaths just confirmed

Reliable, up to date advice on RHD2: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...40#post7012340

Quote Originally Posted by binkyCodie View Post
    it looks like a dewlap to me Luna's never sat in the middle, always to the side a bit.
    And to me x

A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Practice in SW London who always give care and compassion to both their animal clients and their human clients too.
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/