• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jasper is not well ud 12 June

Alison Marie

Wise Old Thumper
Jasper had a dental on Wednesday, his first in five months. He has not recovered well and the vet said he had an upset stomach and they had shaved him as he’d had a few wet poos.

Anyway we are now on Sunday, we went back on Friday as he wasn’t improving from the dental and wasn’t eating much. He still isn’t now.

He has Zantac, emeprid and recovery food. I have some metacam which I started giving last night incase he has some sort of pain. Don’t really know what else to do, he’s not better but he’s not worse so that’s good at least. Any insights??

He has another appointment tomorrow morning but what else would they do for him if he’s not improving with gut meds etc?

Last edited:
I would certainly continue with the pain relief. I would also discuss with the vet, preferably the one who did the dental, what they actually found. If, for instance, he had a large spur which was cutting into his cheek, the wound from that might still be painful. It could also be that his mouth feels uncomfortable from the dental procedure itself, which will take time to resolve.

I would have a good discussion with your vet tomorrow. I would also still top him up with recovery food if he's not eating much. Hopefully, whatever is causing the problem will get better in the next couple of days.

Sending the poor lad lots of vibes.

Jasper had a dental on Wednesday, his first in five months. He has not recovered well and the vet said he had an upset stomach and they had shaved him as he’d had a few wet poos.

Anyway we are now on Sunday, we went back on Friday as he wasn’t improving from the dental and wasn’t eating much. He still isn’t now.

He has Zantac, emeprid and recovery food. I have some metacam which I started giving last night incase he has some sort of pain. Don’t really know what else to do, he’s not better but he’s not worse so that’s good at least. Any insights??

He has another appointment tomorrow morning but what else would they do for him if he’s not improving with gut meds etc?

I am sorry that Jasper is not doing well after his recent Dental. Did the Vet tell you exactly what the Dental treatment involved ?

Is the soft poo cecal or fecal ?

Is Jasper Drinking ?

They said he had one big spur and a couple of smaller ones and that there weren’t any lacerations.

The poos were I think cecals but not sure.

He has just been trying to chew my radiator :shock: I really think they must have missed something and will ask them to check again tomorrow.

He is a lot more fiesty than he has been which is good.

Recovery food time soon.... he ends up wearing a lot of it :D

So sorry to hear this :(

I have found that sometimes the dental equipment can cut a little of the cheek tissue, and this in turn causes pain. A look in the mouth should ascertain if that's happening - occasionally needs a short course of antibiotics until it heals up.

Does he like the Recovery food? My lot hate it and also end up wearing it!
I tend to use their regular pellets whizzed up with some yummy organic baby food :D

He’s started to lick the wall. very odd ... he is still not happy. We have just done his meds and I’ve tried to tempt him with stuff but he’s not interested. :(

He’s started to lick the wall. very odd ... he is still not happy. We have just done his meds and I’ve tried to tempt him with stuff but he’s not interested. :(

It sounds as though he may still have some oral discomfort. I hope that the Vet can identify what the problem is. I'd ask the Vet if there is any possibility of tooth root elongation. Some Dental Rabbits can develop elongated tooth roots (Skull radiographs are required to diagnose tooth root elongation), if the roots are elongated this can cause pain. Pain in the actual jaw bone rather than in the soft tissue in the mouth.

tB8kdlE.jpg

Or it may be that his cecum is still very sluggish. Lack of long fibre (hay) in the diet can cause reduced motility in the cecum and it can initially present as Dental problems. It can also be a knock on effect of the consequences of Dental problems. Gut motility and Dental Disease are intrinsically linked

Some more detailed info'

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

https://www.vetstream.com/treat/lapis/freeform/dental-malocclusion-overgrowth

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/ac07/9915d6e64fe1afe442204871cb21c282f31b.pdf

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Caecal_Impaction.htm

Thanks Jane! He is definitely in pain. Found him in the hallway this morning stripping the walls of wallpaper and chewing door frames ........ well at least he feels up to doing that ! We have a vet appointment soon.

They said he had one big spur and a couple of smaller ones and that there weren’t any lacerations.

The poos were I think cecals but not sure.

He has just been trying to chew my radiator :shock: I really think they must have missed something and will ask them to check again tomorrow.

He is a lot more fiesty than he has been which is good.

Recovery food time soon.... he ends up wearing a lot of it :D

I hope the vet helps him and manages to settle things down so he stops chewing all this stuff!
Poor lad and sorry you're so stressed xx

Thanks guys. He has been admitted, hopefully we will have good news this afternoon.

Meant to be going on holiday today! :lol:

Back