Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some advice needed re excess cecals (I think)?

Default Some advice needed re excess cecals (I think)?

I'm really struggling with Luna. She's had soft poo a couple of times a day since I had her, it always tends to be after she's eaten pellets or a quantity of forage and now even possibly hay.

I'm literally tearing my hair out and don't really know what to do, I can't get her into the vets until next week.

Her daily routine has usually been:
    I go out in the morning, she's got squished poo on her top two tiers, always in the exact same places. I clean this up, give her fresh water, hay, few dried foragey type things and a small handful of excel pellets, and open her hutch up to the run

I check on her about an hour later max and there is squished poo again. I clean it up.

I feed her another small handful of pellets later and top up/ turn her hay and she usually does another squishy poo not long after.

She's been having apple and bramble sticks every day for the last few days as well as 3 fibrefirst sticks. I've even not given her pellets one day and only lots of different hays but still this soft, stinky (cecal?) poo!

She gets through mountains of hay and I just feel so useless and I feel she's got skinnier because I've been doing all this messing about trying to find out what's triggering it - I'm going to weigh her in the morning to see.

Sorry for the rant and long post, I was going to wait until tomorrow but I can't sleep because of it. I feel like I need to start again with her but I don't know how to

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Leannean27 View Post
    I'm really struggling with Luna. She's had soft poo a couple of times a day since I had her, it always tends to be after she's eaten pellets or a quantity of forage and now even possibly hay.

I'm literally tearing my hair out and don't really know what to do, I can't get her into the vets until next week.

Her daily routine has usually been:
    I go out in the morning, she's got squished poo on her top two tiers, always in the exact same places. I clean this up, give her fresh water, hay, few dried foragey type things and a small handful of excel pellets, and open her hutch up to the run

I check on her about an hour later max and there is squished poo again. I clean it up.

I feed her another small handful of pellets later and top up/ turn her hay and she usually does another squishy poo not long after.

She's been having apple and bramble sticks every day for the last few days as well as 3 fibrefirst sticks. I've even not given her pellets one day and only lots of different hays but still this soft, stinky (cecal?) poo!

She gets through mountains of hay and I just feel so useless and I feel she's got skinnier because I've been doing all this messing about trying to find out what's triggering it - I'm going to weigh her in the morning to see.

Sorry for the rant and long post, I was going to wait until tomorrow but I can't sleep because of it. I feel like I need to start again with her but I don't know how to

Sorry to hear this

Obviously take her to a vet and get some advice but when I was struggling with Atticus my vet said to cut everything out and just feed 1 hay for a week or so then start slowly reintroducing things one at a time - it's takes ages to figure it all out and it's really tricky honestly

Hopefully your vet will be able to suggest some things, how many pellets a day does she get? About an egg cup full max? If she gets more I'd start cutting them down and seeing if that helps just them and hay for a bit. Failing that you could look at different brands of pellets, wish I could be more helpful - hope someone who knows what they're talking about will be along soon xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper

I think there are a couple of ways to approach this.

As Graciee said the thorough way is to just feed hay for a week or so and reintroduce things one at a time, making a note of what effect the things have. It is a lengthy process though and you have to make sure that you feed each reintroduced food for long enough to produce a result.

Alternatively there do seem to be a couple of things that I think might be worth trying. Firstly, I agree that reducing the amount of pellets will almost certainly help. Do this gradually though. Additionally, Excel pellets are known to produce a mucky bum in some rabbits and so I would try a different one. Maybe, if she likes them, change her gradually to just Fibafirst sticks.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Thanks both, I'm confident she eats lots of hay so if she needs to go hay only for a while I shouldn't think it would be too much of a problem, she does like the fibre first sticks too. Graciee what pellets is Atticus on now? I'm thinking about moving her to oxbow bunny basics or science selective due to the higher fibre content and it's more readily available, I know MM had a problem with excel due to their oil content. Her normal poops are so golden they practically sparkle lol!

Thanks both, I'm confident she eats lots of hay so if she needs to go hay only for a while I shouldn't think it would be too much of a problem, she does like the fibre first sticks too. Graciee what pellets is Atticus on now? I'm thinking about moving her to oxbow bunny basics or science selective due to the higher fibre content and it's more readily available, I know MM had a problem with excel due to their oil content. Her normal poops are so golden they practically sparkle lol!

I think what omi said regarding excel pellets is definitely true for some bunnies

Atticus is on excel tho he and Clementine don't seem to have an issue with them, I tried oxbow ones and he got very sick, I recently bought the science selective grain free pellets (have to be honest I've avoided these before because Clementine eats so so fast and I'm terrified she'll choke because the pellets are large) he's had a few of them and seems to be fine with them I wouldn't let anything I just said though put you off feeding either of those foods to Luna, as what works for her probably wouldn't for Atticus and vice versa - I realised this when trying to figure out his diet - advice would be for instance 'this thing' is super good for buns suffering with 'xyz' and he'd be horribly ill after eating whatever it was and some things which were supposed to be bad.. He ate happily and was fine

I'd definitely try switching food and slowly reducing amount per day, but if she's a good hay eater you could always stop for a week and reintroduce one thing at a time but as Omi says, takes a long time you'd probably need to for example cut everything out but hay for a week or so.. Then introduce one thing, the same amount of it for a few days, notice results then if it was a bad result stop feeding it then wait days until output is back to how it was before you introduced it, and then repeat

Hopefully the food is the culprit tho! I think I've read excel is known for causing that issue for lots of bunnies x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Hello, my Maple had sticky poop messes all over the floor and then she would stand in it. I changed her from excel no problems now xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Bam & Charlie

Little update, I cut out pellets and everything but hay for a week and there was no change/ reduction. I then gradually gave her science selective pellets, still no change

She went to the vets today about it and the vet prescribed a 9 day panacur course - unsure why exactly she just said to try that and come back after 9 days if she shows no improvement whereby she'll discuss using fibreplex alongside her daily food intake.

Does this sound right to u guys?

Little update, I cut out pellets and everything but hay for a week and there was no change/ reduction. I then gradually gave her science selective pellets, still no change

She went to the vets today about it and the vet prescribed a 9 day panacur course - unsure why exactly she just said to try that and come back after 9 days if she shows no improvement whereby she'll discuss using fibreplex alongside her daily food intake.

Does this sound right to u guys?

Thank you for your PM

Has the vet sent away a sample of the poo for analysis?

The vet should have a reason for giving the 9 day Panacur. It's usually for pinworms.

Fibreplex contains probiotics, so you could try adding in some Avipro or Bio Lapis into the diet?
    There's no evidence that either of them work, as the rabbit's stomach acid usually kills off anything useful, but certainly won't do any harm.

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Vetark-Avipro-Plus/c1441/

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Thank you for your PM

Has the vet sent away a sample of the poo for analysis?

The vet should have a reason for giving the 9 day Panacur. It's usually for pinworms.

Fibreplex contains probiotics, so you could try adding in some Avipro or Bio Lapis into the diet?
    There's no evidence that either of them work, as the rabbit's stomach acid usually kills off anything useful, but certainly won't do any harm.

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Vetark-Avipro-Plus/c1441/
    How old is Luna? I have always experienced young rabbits doing lots of excess cecos? Xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Bam & Charlie

She's almost 5 months now, none was sent off for analysis - I was hoping she would do some during the day as I would have taken a sample with me but it seems to have changed to an overnight thing now since she's been with Ralph the last two nights. Yesterday morning there was loads, the most I'd seen it was like she'd been holding it in for ages.

I just want her to be okay