Thread: Sneezing and wheezing

Default Sneezing and wheezing

I've noticed tonight for the first time, Twix has started making wheezing/sniffing sounds when he breathes...its hard to explain but sort of like the sound of what a sniffer dog would make?! He's also been sneezing a few more times than normal.

Is this anything to be worried about?

There hasn't been a change in his hay or anything recently.

Thanks

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Jo93 View Post
    I've noticed tonight for the first time, Twix has started making wheezing/sniffing sounds when he breathes...its hard to explain but sort of like the sound of what a sniffer dog would make?! He's also been sneezing a few more times than normal.

Thanks
    Hi

My advice would be to get Twix examined by your Vet. The symptoms you describe could be indicative of the start of a Respiratory Tract infection, or it may be that he is reacting to some sort of allergen in the environment. Is there any sign of nasal discharge. Check the insides of his front paws too as if the fur is damp/sticky that would mean he has a runny nose that he is wiping a lot. So you may not otherwise notice the discharge, if there is any. A Vet will include listening to Twix's lungs in the examination, to make sure that there is no sign of any problems there. If the Vet concludes that a RTI may be involved the sooner it is identified and treated the better the prognosis is likely to be. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Jo93 View Post

Thanks

Hi Jo

I hope what you're describing is an allergy or perhaps a constriction in the nostrils (due to inflammation) rather than an actual upper respiratory infection. The wheezing you describe is what would concern me. Rabbits often sneeze, and it can be due to hay or pollen etc in the environment.

I should keep a note of when it's better/worse, and consult your vet and explain the symptoms. I would also try and get a video of it happening, as when at the vet these things can mysteriously disappear!

If there's any congestion in the nasal passages a vet can prescribe Bisolvon to thin the mucous and help it pass more easily. Vets often don't mention this medication, so worth asking about it as it's cheap and effective.

Hope all goes well for Twix x
    Please vaccinate your rabbits for RHD2 as well ..
    Two more house rabbit deaths just confirmed

Reliable, up to date advice on RHD2: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...40#post7012340