Thread: Neuter gone wrong!

Warren Scout

Default Neuter gone wrong!

My friend's male rabbit was taken in to be neutered today and he lost a lot of blood in recovery apparently and had to be put back under. She says he is now floppy and pretty lifeless. She had to pay for the extra operation and I don't think she has insurance or the money to pay for any more vet visits. She is keeping him her with her tonight to see how he does. Any idea what's wrong or what could be done?

Sorry to hear about your friends rabbit - I don't have advice, but wanted to send get better vibes x

Alpha Buck

I also can’t offer any advice but hope he pulls through.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatrix15 View Post
    My friend's male rabbit was taken in to be neutered today and he lost a lot of blood in recovery apparently and had to be put back under. She says he is now floppy and pretty lifeless. She had to pay for the extra operation and I don't think she has insurance or the money to pay for any more vet visits. She is keeping him her with her tonight to see how he does. Any idea what's wrong or what could be done?
    So he haemorrhaged post castration, had a 2nd op (assuming to tie off the spermatic cord properly this time, probable source of blood loss) and the Vet sent him home

IMO a Rabbit who has haemorrhaged post neuter, then had to have a 2nd GA soon after the first one, should be kept as an inpatient in intensive care. IV fluids, oxygen, heat therapy are all almost certainly essential. Bunny would be at very high risk of hypovolemic shock after a haemorrhage.

I really hope that poor Bunny pulls through, as for charging for the emergency procedure..............

A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Practice in SW London who always give care and compassion to both their animal clients and their human clients too.
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

I dont have any advice but that sounds horrible.

i'm also shocked that the vets made your friend pay for the emergency operation after the first was so badly messed up. I mean, I don't know whether it was the vets fault or not - maybe it was just one of those things - but whatever the case that should've been free of charge. I hope they're at least giving her advice over the phone.

I reckon I'd be looking for a new vet if I were her.

I hope bunny makes it xx

How's he doing now?
    Please vaccinate your rabbits for RHD2 as well ..
    Two more house rabbit deaths just confirmed

Reliable, up to date advice on RHD2: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...40#post7012340

Warren Scout

Thanks guys. She hasn't replied yet when asking for an update

Oh dear, I do hope that is not indicative of bad news x

A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Practice in SW London who always give care and compassion to both their animal clients and their human clients too.
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

Oh dear, I hope that's not bad news
    Please vaccinate your rabbits for RHD2 as well ..
    Two more house rabbit deaths just confirmed

Reliable, up to date advice on RHD2: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...40#post7012340