Thread: Pinworms keep coming back

Default Pinworms keep coming back

Hi all,
    I'm treating my 4 rabbits with Panacur after finding pinworms in their poo this morning. Not sure whose they were but I'm treating them all. They've been treated before after having pinworms a few months ago and there hadn't been signs since (I check every day). We are sooo diligent at cleaning them I don't know how to stop them coming back! Do you think I should just treat every 3 months as per Panacur's routine instructions and hope it keeps pinworm numbers down, rather than get obsessed again with totally getting rid of them (which didn't seem to work!)
    Also do you know if the 9 day routine course is the right number of days for pinworms? Everything (including two vets) have different opinions! Thank you
    I paint your pets! Please visit my Facebook page: "Painted Pet Pawtraits"

Hi Elaine, I'm not sure Panacur treats pinworms. Having attended Owner's Days with Frances Harcourt Brown I seem to remember her take is that pinworms are not a problem in rabbits anyway, they don't cause any problems to the rabbits and they are not transmissible to other species (ie you can't 'catch' them from your rabbits) so I wouldn't worry about them. Just my opinion though!

I think the makers of wormers put stuff on the packaging about treating rabbits regularly just to sell their products. Cynical, but I don't think they need doing without just cause.

Wise Old Thumper

I agree with Pippin'sMum. Maybe there is some herb, such as Lavender, you could give them which might get rid of them. I assume your bunnies eat a lot of hay and do you wash veg before you give it to them. Don't know if that helps though!

Warren Scout

Well, my other rabbit had pinworms once. Since we don't have Panacur in our country I gave her some thyme tea. You could give them fresh if your rabbit will eat them that way. It helped and they never came back again. Thyme is a natural remedy for various worms in humans too. Hope your rabbit gets better soon.

Isiųsta naudojantis C6903 Tapatalk 4 Lt

Do they have access to the garden? Do you have any other pets (or any other animals that frequent the garden?)
    Elmo and Cookie the Thrianta brothers ♥
    Princess the Lionlop