• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pinworms keep coming back

elaine84

Warren Scout
Hi all,
I'm treating my 4 rabbits with Panacur after finding pinworms in their poo this morning. Not sure whose they were but I'm treating them all. They've been treated before after having pinworms a few months ago and there hadn't been signs since (I check every day). We are sooo diligent at cleaning them I don't know how to stop them coming back! Do you think I should just treat every 3 months as per Panacur's routine instructions and hope it keeps pinworm numbers down, rather than get obsessed again with totally getting rid of them (which didn't seem to work!)
Also do you know if the 9 day routine course is the right number of days for pinworms? Everything (including two vets) have different opinions! Thank you

Hi Elaine, I'm not sure Panacur treats pinworms. Having attended Owner's Days with Frances Harcourt Brown I seem to remember her take is that pinworms are not a problem in rabbits anyway, they don't cause any problems to the rabbits and they are not transmissible to other species (ie you can't 'catch' them from your rabbits) so I wouldn't worry about them. Just my opinion though!

I think the makers of wormers put stuff on the packaging about treating rabbits regularly just to sell their products. Cynical, but I don't think they need doing without just cause.

I agree with Pippin'sMum. Maybe there is some herb, such as Lavender, you could give them which might get rid of them. I assume your bunnies eat a lot of hay and do you wash veg before you give it to them. Don't know if that helps though!

Well, my other rabbit had pinworms once. Since we don't have Panacur in our country I gave her some thyme tea. You could give them fresh if your rabbit will eat them that way. It helped and they never came back again. Thyme is a natural remedy for various worms in humans too. Hope your rabbit gets better soon.

Išsiųsta naudojantis C6903 Tapatalk 4 Lt

Do they have access to the garden? Do you have any other pets (or any other animals that frequent the garden?)

Back