Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diet for rabbits who can't eat hay or grass

Warren Scout

I'd possibly be increasing her fibafirst sticks if she resolutely refuses hay, I believe the sticks can be free-fed, and it'd give her something to munch on periodically.

Warren Scout

Thank you for the suggestions everyone, I've been giving her more forage daily this week. She's off her food again though, so I think we'll be back to the vets again on Monday I have noticed that her poops are sort of purpleish compared to the other two, and they often have a while chalk-like coating on. Does anyone know why this is?

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Beapig View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions everyone, I've been giving her more forage daily this week. She's off her food again though, so I think we'll be back to the vets again on Monday I have noticed that her poops are sort of purpleish compared to the other two, and they often have a while chalk-like coating on. Does anyone know why this is?
    Her poo will be darker as she is not eating hay, but I've no idea why it would look purple. Sorry, I've also no idea about the chalk-like coating

Did she manage to eat any of the pear tree leaves and/or nibble the bark?

I'm sorry to read that she is struggling again and hope that her vet visit goes well on Monday.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

There's a few examples of poo here but I'm not sure the one you're describing is pictured?

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_dise...rop/Drp_en.htm

Aso, medication can cause alterations in the appearance of poop.

Hay makes poo lovely and golden, so forage and fresh grass (if she's eating any) will darken the colour.

White on the poop could be that she has peed on the poop and that explains the chalk colour. Sometimes excess calcium presents like that.

I hope the vet can shed more light on why she's not eating.
    My thoughts are with you, it's difficult to know what to do with bunnies and you've been very brave and selfless to take her on.
    Reliable and up to date info on RHD2:
    An extensive and comprehensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...RHD2-July-2018

My major concern with a bunny not being able to eat hay would be their gut health - particularly as you say she has stopped eating properly. Bunnies need to keep their gut moving constantly, or it can go into stasis/ileus- one of the main functions of hay in a pet rabbit’s diet is to ensure they eat constantly 24/7. A few meals a day are not enough, so first I would look at the quantity of food she has available, and ensure that she has some fibre-rich food available all day and all night - it needs to be fed ad lib.

For this, I would recommend using the fibafirst sticks- increasing the amount you feed (gradually) to be free-fed as much as she’ll eat. The fibre content is the same as some hays, so it is ideal if she can manage these. It is available year-round unlike forage so makes a good base for her diet. Obviously forage/leafy greens is important as well for tooth wear and fibre, and so continue with all of this as well as the fibafirst. I hope she’s eating well again soon- I’ve always found that it’s a cycle - eating more fibre = better gut movement = better appetite = eating more fibre and so on.
    Last edited by nessar; 09-06-2018 at 04:56 PM.

Warren Scout

I think that Plumpkin's poops are okay, looking at that website for reference - they're nice and big and round, just darker brown than Ham and Bea's. I think the powdery white is dried wee - she toilets in one area and the grass is yellow and dead underneath it, suggesting that she has peed on top of it. When she pooped fresh this morning I had a peek and they didn't have any of the white powder, so I think that solves it.

To clarify nessar, she is still eating, just much more slowly and periodically inbetween grinding her jaw, which is a sure sign that she needs to go back to the vet Thanks so much for the recommendations on food - I'm giving her fibafirst sticks throughout the day and also a load of forage. She'll be back to the vet on Monday, so hopefully we can get to the bottom of what is causing her discomfort this time.

Does anyone know if you can get pellets that are made of just grass? I've seen them for horses and sheep but I don't know if those would be suitable for bunnies. Just another thought!

I think that Plumpkin's poops are okay, looking at that website for reference - they're nice and big and round, just darker brown than Ham and Bea's. I think the powdery white is dried wee - she toilets in one area and the grass is yellow and dead underneath it, suggesting that she has peed on top of it. When she pooped fresh this morning I had a peek and they didn't have any of the white powder, so I think that solves it.

To clarify nessar, she is still eating, just much more slowly and periodically inbetween grinding her jaw, which is a sure sign that she needs to go back to the vet Thanks so much for the recommendations on food - I'm giving her fibafirst sticks throughout the day and also a load of forage. She'll be back to the vet on Monday, so hopefully we can get to the bottom of what is causing her discomfort this time.

Does anyone know if you can get pellets that are made of just grass? I've seen them for horses and sheep but I don't know if those would be suitable for bunnies. Just another thought!
    The ones I use are mostly grass and Loobers uses them too now.

Beaphar natural rabbit. My buns love them and they have a really high fibre content. Would be good for Plumpkin. Although they are large pellets that she'd have to break down. They aren't little like normal bun pellets. More like a nugget :-)

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper

Yes, you can I think that loobers25 mentioned the ones in Galens Garden, so she might have experience of them https://galensgarden.co.uk/shop/forage-bricks/ or https://galensgarden.co.uk/shop/forage-pellets-cobs/
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Yes you can, but they may need soaking for a dental rabbit, and that may make them fairly unpalatable. I would ask for a sample before investing, as not all rabbits will eat them!

Fibafirst sticks have loads of fibre, and I also whizz up grass alongside veggies for dental rabbits and they actually eat grass that way
    Reliable and up to date info on RHD2:
    An extensive and comprehensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...RHD2-July-2018